LEAD Innovation Studio
Vol. 4, Issue 16 - December 11, 2020
NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
We have 4 weeks remaining in the semester. This is a great time to take stock of where your student is at and have them share plans with you for how they will complete the semester. The final day of the semester is Friday, January 15th. Key dates to remember:
Monday, 12/14: return to hybrid mode
Tuesday, 12/22: Last day before winter break
12/23-1/3: Winter break
1/4: return to school from winter break
1/15: Last day of fall semester
1/18: No School - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1/19: start of spring semester
12/14 - 12/18 SCHEDULE
Monday: In person day for last name A-K
Tuesday: In person day for last name L-Z
Wednesday: Distance learning day for all
Thursday: In person day for last name A-K
Friday: In person day for last name L-Z
LEAD Staff Appreciation
End of Course Testing
Parents of Online and In-Person students who will be taking one or more EOC’s will receive a communication on Monday, December 14. We will provide information about which days your student will test and where to report for testing. Online and In-person teachers have been and will continue to provide details to students about their test day. All EOC testing will take place at LEAD.
-Online testing: January 6
-In-Person testing: January 7-12
-Make-up test day: January 13
Assistant Principal – LEAD Innovation Studio
Parent Advisory Committee
We hosted our quarterly Parent Advisory Meeting last Monday, 12/6. Thank you to all who were able to attend. Dr. Stanley provided some important updates. Brief notes are included here:
- End of First Semester/ End of Course Exams - We discussed the schedule for the semester and the fact that it ends after winter break (on 1/15). We will be holding EOC exams after the winter break and will be sharing more details soon. There are 4 classes which have state mandated EOC exams: Government, ELA 2, Biology, and Algebra.
- In person learning - distance learning schedules/ things to know: We reviewed some key components of the schedule used for last and this week and some explanation of why that schedule was utilized. A priority was placed on mirroring our hybrid schedule as closely as possible to provide a smooth transition into and out of distance learning. We have had a very successful 2 weeks of distance learning.
- Facility Updates - while minor projects continue to be completed, the building is largely finished and fully operational. The facility is beautiful and does an amazing job supporting student learning. We very much look forward to hosting events for our families once it is safe to do so.
- Seniors - LEAD celebrations - we have received many questions from seniors and senior families (As well as questions from younger grades) about graduation ceremonies. LEAD students will walk and be a part of commencement at their home high school. We are also planning on a LEAD specific celebration (in many ways we have been working on that for 4 years). As we approach May, and have a better idea of the state of the pandemic, we will be ironing out those details. We plan to engage with our students, families, and staff to solicit feedback and input on a LEAD celebration. Stay tuned!
The next Parent Advisory meeting is March 8, 7:00.
LEAD’s next club dates are December 15 and 17. Remember students can sign up for bus transportation for a ride home the day of their club meeting!
- Homework Helper Club: Students who need a quiet place to work can attend. (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Black Student Union Club: Students interested please email Ms. Rhea (email@example.com).
December 15 and 17
Jan 12 and 14
Feb 9 and 11
March 9 and 11
April 13 and 15
May11 and 13
PSAT scores are available. To access scores, students will need to log into their college board account. In addition, an email with an access code should be emailed to students by college board. If your student needs to set up a college board account please use this link below:
Attention all Juniors and Seniors! Are you interested in pursuing a future in the military or armed forces? If so, you will need to take the ASVAB test. LEAD is offering this test December 16th at 8:00 a.m. To sign up to take this test, please email Mrs. Offield by December 10th. December 16th is a Wednesday so you will need to arrange you own transportation. If transportation is an issue, please see either Ms. Shanks or Ms. Colvin and they will help you get to school to test.
Please email: OffieldA@parkhill.k12.mo.us
MAKE-UP PICTURE DAY
Reed Portrait Group will be at LEAD on December 14 and 15 (10:40 - 12:00) for picture retakes. (Note this is an update due to distance learning.)
Acceptable reasons for a retake:
- You purchased a picture packet but are not satisfied with the outcome.
- You missed the previous picture days at LEAD.
PARK HILL SOUTH - TRACK AND FIELD
Are you interested in competing in track and field at Park Hill South? If so, please complete the survey on infinite campus by December 5th to let Coach Leibrand -girl's coach (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Coach Roth -boys coach (email@example.com) know you are interested. If you have any questions, please contact either of them.
LEAD A+ TUTORING AVAILABLE!!
10th, 11th and 12th grade LEAD A+ students can now sign up to tutor their peers, either face to face or virtually, and get A+ hours for their time and effort! If your student would like to tutor, they need to fill out the A+ Tutors Application which can be found under the Resources tab in their Schoology LEAD A+ group.
If you feel that your child could benefit from meeting with a tutor, they can sign up for one in Summit. Please have your student follow these directions to access the request form:
- Open Summit and in the left blue field, select the 20-21 LEAD Homeroom course
- Scroll down to the LEAD Info and Useful Documents
- Select LEAD Community
- Scroll down to Resources and select the LEAD Tutoring request
Our goal is to have a tutor assigned to the request in one work week.
PH ONLINE SUPPORT
Park Hill Online Support is a resource for parents/guardians and students as they navigate the online learning experience. Call center staff are trained in navigating online educational software such as Seesaw, Schoology, Edgenuity, and Infinite Campus. They can also help with online assessments and finding resources. Have a question or a problem and you’re not sure whom can answer it or who can help? Call Park Hill Online Support at 816-359-4404 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is a link to PH Parent University with additional resources and information.
To view current missing assignments for the term, instructions are in the photo below.
If you'd like to acknowledge your student's birthday, sporting events at the home high school - pictures in action or in uniform, future plans (college, trade school, etc.) send us a picture so that we can celebrate with you.
JOSTENS - CLASS RINGS & GRADUATION INFORMATION
- January 21 & 22 - Sophomore class ring premier (socially distanced class meeting). Order/information packets distributed
- January 25 & 26 (lunch periods) - Class ring orders
- February 2 & 4 - Additional ring orders
- March 12 (lunch periods) - Grad announcement delivery
- March 17 - Additional grad announcement delivery
- April 8 & 9 (lunch periods) - Class ring delivery
- April 15 (lunch periods) - Cap/gown delivery
- April 21 - Additional cap/gown delivery
SENIORS A+ DEADLINES!!
Here is a list of important "To-Do" items for Seniors who are planning on receiving an A+ scholarship. Depending on first or second semester graduation, these items should be done no later than December (fall graduate) or late April (spring graduate). For any of the items that need to be submitted, please submit them directly to your home high school's A+ coordinator and NOT Ms. Villalobos at LEAD. Ellen Reys at PHHS: email@example.com or Dr. Owens at PHS: firstname.lastname@example.org
ASAP: Parents will need to help with this step and use last year's tax return. Students need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms due . All FAFSA information is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
December or April: A+ Attendance appeals & documentation due (if necessary)
December or April: ALL Mentoring and Tutoring hours (50) due
December or April: Final Senior Reflection due (will be sent to your school e-mail)
December or April: Complete Final Transcript Request through Naviance (transcript & A+ funds will be delayed if not completed)
- December 14 & 15- Picture Retakes (10:40-12:00)
- December 22 - Final school day before winter break
- December 23 - January 1: WINTER BREAK!!
- January 4 - Return to school
- January 15 - Final day of Semester 1
- January 18 - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, no school
- January 19 - First day of Semester 2