Whittier Elementary School
Viking Newsletter--October 2018
- The construction crew is close to closing up the exterior envelope of the building. They should be wrapping up exterior walls, windows and openings in the next week
- The crew has started prep for the remaining site work and will start working on courtyards/playground areas shortly
- All interior walls are framed, with drywall being hung in the remaining areas (administration/library/teacher work areas)
- The classroom wing has paint on about 50% of the walls, with ceiling grid being installed right behind them
- The first load of cabinets arrived today, and will begin in the finished areas
- Tile will also begin this week in the classroom wing restrooms
Whittier Elementary is a Title I School
Whittier Elementary is a Title I School, and as such, federal law requires that parents of students attending schools receiving federal program funds have the right to know:
Is my child’s teacher licensed to teach the grades and subject (s) assigned?
- Yes, all Whittier teachers are licensed to teach the grades and subjects to which they’ve been assigned.
Is my child’s teacher teaching with a provision license, meaning that the state has waived the requirements for my child’s teacher?
- There are no teachers at Whittier currently teaching with a provisional license.
What degree or degrees does my child’s teacher hold?
- All teachers at Whittier have a college degree. Please check with your child’s teacher if you are interested in the individual degrees they hold.
If there are instructional aides working with my child, what are their qualifications?
- Whittier has four full-time Title I Instructional Aides this year. All have at least a high school diploma, 48 hours of college credits, an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree, or have successfully completed the ETS Paraprofessional Praxis.
If my child is or will be taught for four or more consecutive weeks this year by a teacher who is not highly qualified, will I be notified in a timely manner?
- Yes, the Boise School District requires that every parent be notified in a timely manner if their child(ren) are taught by a teacher who is not highly qualified.
Whittier Fútbol Club Yard Sale
The funds raised help provide scholarships so that no student is turned away from this great opportunity due to lack of money. We are committed to ensuring all our students have the chance to participate in this amazing club. You can support these efforts by donating items to the yard sale or stopping by and making some purchases. Donations can be brought to Whittier on Friday after school.
Annual Pumpkin Sale to Benefit MOSS
Our annual Pumpkin Auction is just around the corner! We have enlisted talented artists to paint the pumpkins for us and they will be AMAZING!
The auction will run from October 15th-25th so that families can bid on them at Parent-Teacher Conferences. The auction will end Oct. 25th at 2:00pm.
We thank all of our families who helped pick pumpkins and send a HUGE shout out to Ms. Amanda Stull who leads this MOSS fundraiser every year. We appreciate you Ms. Stull!
Ghouls at School!
Handicapped Parking at Whittier
This is a friendly reminder that handicapped parking spots are for our students, patrons and staff who require the use of these spots for a limited or extended period of time. If you do not have a permit to park in a handicapped spot, please do not do so. Also, please try not to block these spaces when dropping off or picking up your children. If you do have a permit, please make sure you display it on your dashboard.
We understand that drop off and pick up times can get a little crazy but we must be respectful and supportive of our community members who require this service. We appreciate your support and attention to this matter.
Important Dates to Remember
- Saturday & Sunday, October 6th and 7th-- Whittier Fútbol Club Yard Sale 8:00am-2:00pm
- Wednesday, October 17th-- Picture Day
- Friday, October 19th-- End of Quarter No School (K-6 students)
- Tuesday, October 23rd--Kiss a Pig at Farmstead (Fundraiser for MOSS) 5:00-9:00pm
- Wednesday, October 24th-- Parent-Teacher Conferences (No school for Kinder students)
- Thursday, October 25th-- Parent-Teacher Conferences (No school for K-6 students)
- Friday, October 26th-- No School for K-6 Students
- Tuesday, October 30th-- Ghouls at School from 4:30-6:30pm