Sequoia Middle School Monday Memo
Monday, May 16th, 2016
Thanks to everyone that came to our Teacher Appreciation Happy Hour at Jack's on Friday. Great people, perfect weather, good food and fun. We going to add a Kick-off the school year at Jack's next September. Stay tuned. Check out the student work from our art students pictured above.
Teacher Appreciation Week/Month Continues:
Wednesday, May 18th - Staff Luncheon prior to Open House (from PFC)
I am looking forward to a great Open House on Wednesday night form 6:30 - 8:00.
At 6:30, I will welcome everyone to the event and then promptly at 8:00 I will close the event. Make sure you arrive early to secure a parking spot. Food trucks will be available on the blacktop starting at 5pm.
As you know the results of the MDEA Climate Survey were released last week. After we received the results, Jamey, Lisa and I reviewed the data and brainstormed solutions to help address areas of concern.
Two immediate solutions were:
- After a teacher sends a referral to the office with a student, we will respond back through email to notify the teacher that the situation was taken care of.
- We will add all three administrators to the duty schedule so you know where we are before school, brunch, lunch and after-school.
Most importantly, I continue to encourage all staff members to come and see me if you have any pressing concerns.
Thanks to all of our 7th GRADE ELA Team + History and 6th Grade Math Team + Science for the great proctoring. We are in the final stretch as 6th Grade ELA and 8th Grade Math finish it up. We appreciate everyone's support and sharing to help make this assessment schedule work. We will be continuing make-up testing on Wednesday for the next two weeks.
At our PAC meeting on May 31st, we will review the schedule and see if we need to tweak the schedule any way. Please share with your department chair or me if you have any thoughts.
Single Plan for Student Achievement:
Thanks for all your insight in evaluating the 2015-2106 Single Plan and for your input on the 2016-2017 Single Plan. We will be finalizing at Site Council this week. We will send out a final version to all staff by the end of the month.
Our football season continues with a game on Monday, May 16th as the mighty Sequoia Giants visit the Pine Hollow Mustangs at 3:30. Free Admission.
Meetings this week:
Site Council Tuesday, 3-4 pm
Shared Folder on Google Drive:
We are continuing to build our SMS Staff Resource Folder on Google Drive. Please feel free to add to it, or let me know if there is anything that you would like to have electronic access too.
Tweet(s) of the Week
2. @rickwormeli2: "Do I belong?" is one of the biggest concerns of students have in almost every grade level. Let's give students proof that this is the right class and teacher for them.
Duty Schedule- Week of May 16th -
Homework Club Schedule, Upcoming Events, Principal Goals, Calendar
Homework Club Schedule 2:45- 3:45
Monday – Warholic – A-3
Tuesday – Perlberg – C-7/English Learners Amerson - B4
Thursday – Sutherland - C-3/English Learners Enloe – B4
Principal Goals for 2015-2016
· Improve Communication/Outreach to all Sequoia Stakeholders
· Continued growth and implementation of Common Core Standards across the curriculum (rigor, writing, conceptual understanding, critical thinking)
· Create Meaningful Collaborative Opportunities for Students, Teachers, Schools
· Develop High Expectations for All Students (Support Students to Meet Them)
· Use Technology to Extend/Re-Define Learning Opportunities for Students
What I am working on:
- CAASPP Support
- Finishing Teacher Evaluation Process
- Interviewing for the last staff positions.
- Finalizing staffing for 16-17
- Master Scheduling building
-Single Plan for Student Achievement
Weekly Calendar of Events -
May 17th - Site Council
May 18th - Open House
May 20th - Peforming Arts Showcase
June 10th - Friday, Promotion/Last Day of school
Click below for Master Calendar