#AdlerTeens Fall Opportunities
Deadlines are fast approaching!
LEARN AND BLOG ABOUT SCIENCE
Apply to be an Astro-Journalist by Sept. 16 at http://adlerplanetarium.org/jobs.
Want a real work experience where you'll meet science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) professionals, learn more about STEM and get your stories posted online and read by people all over the world?
- Meet at the Adler on Saturday afternoons from 1-3 p.m.
- Research current topics in science with the help of a scientist mentor
- Report back about it in blog format to your peers
- Duration: Sept. 28 - Dec. 14
- EXTENDED Application Due Date: Monday, Sept. 16
Completed applications include a resume and cover letter!
Astro-Journalist Interns write science blog articles on behalf of the Adler Planetarium under the mentorship of adult STEM professionals in research, industry, education and non-profit organizations. Topics range from astronomy, to biology, to engineering depending on intern interest.
View past interns’ work online at http://adlerastrojournalists.wordpress.com.
The AstroJournalist blog has been read by thousands of people from almost half of the countries of the world!
YOUTH LEADERSHIP COUNCIL
Apply to be on the Youth Leadership Council by Monday, Sept. 9.
Are you a teen looking for an opportunity to impact existing youth programs and build a community at the Adler Planetarium? The Youth Leadership Council (YLC) exists to give qualified and dedicated teens an opportunity to take a more active role within the Adler, serving as THE teen voice on many projects throughout the museum.
This year, the YLC will plan and execute the Adler's Civic Hack Day, taking place in the spring, and collaborate with other teen councils as a part of this process.
The YLC will meet every other week on weeknight evenings from September through June.
Apply to be on the YLC by Monday, Sept. 9.
Web-Making for Civic Action
STAY TUNED: more details and application instructions coming in September.
Starting in mid-October, the Adler will offer free hacking workshops to teach you how to conquer the web and get your message out!
Our teen web-makers will contribute their innovations to the Adler Youth Leadership Council's Civic Hack Day.
VOLUNTEER AT THE ADLER
Apply for one of our teen-specific volunteer roles this fall, gain valuable experience and earn service learning hours! Volunteer positions vary in commitment and schedule -- there is something for everyone!
- Doane Observatory Guide Adler visitors through the observatory using solar telescopes for safe Sun viewing during the day and special observing parties at night.
- Far Horizons Work on experiments in the lab of the Adler’s high-altitude balloon program.
- Public Programs Facilitate educational activities about space science for the Adler’s visitors.
- Citizen Science Help the Adler’s partner Zooniverse teach the public about citizen science!
- Special Events Support at various events like Astro-Overnights throughout the fall!
- Youth Leadership Council Represent teen voice and work on a year-long project at the Adler. (See above.)
GIRLS DO HACK
Check out our website at girlsdohack.adlerplanetarium.org to register!