The Lion's Roar
Gloucester High School - Newsletter- December 22, 2017
Partnership. Performance. Pride.
It was a fun-filled week leading up to our winter break.
When we return to school on January, 2nd, we will look to continue to build on the positive momentum from the first four months of the year. We will have homeroom meetings with each grade level to communicate and highlight critical steps along on the path towards college and career readiness. Accessing PSAT results and connecting student PSAT results and Khan Academy accounts is certainly one step that will be addressed with all 9th - 11th grade students. We'll share the news that we are adding "SAT School Day Testing" for our Junior class on Wednesday, March 21st. To strengthen preparations for this, Juniors will report to school at the normal time (8:15 a.m.) on January 17th's professional development morning to take a College Board-constructed SAT practice test. For Seniors, we will emphasize that we basically have 5 months remaining together to solidify plans for their next college and career pursuits after GHS.
Please make sure to read the attachment towards the end of this week's newsletter that outlines changes ahead in 2018 related to GHS "going green," our morning professional development schedule, and cafeteria breakfast procedures. You should also be prepared to changes in our morning student drop-off traffic pattern beginning in January aimed at ensuring maximum safety for all students and drivers. As we all reflect on 2017, know that we are always searching for ways to make GHS better and welcome any suggestions you may have.
Wishing you all a Happy, Healthy New Year...
COLLEGE & CAREER READINESS
GHS Class of 2013 graduate, Brett Kraft, visited GHS on Wednesday morning to present to underclassmen interested in learning more about the United States service academies. Brett graduated last May from the U.S. Naval Academy and is now attending Naval flight school in Pensacola, Florida.
- GHS Class of 2017 graduate, Jason Schultz, returned on Thursday to present to our Military Club. Jason recently graduated from Marine Boot Camp.
We held our first College Acceptance Celebration lunch of this school year on Monday. Over forty Seniors were honored for their acceptances throughout this fall.
THE WEEK AHEAD
- January 1st - Happy, Healthy New Year to All!
- January 2nd - Homeroom Meeting---Seniors
- January 3rd - Homeroom Meeting---Juniors
- January 4th - Homeroom Meeting---Sophomores
- January 5th - Homeroom Meeting---Freshmen
The Arts @ GHS
- Check out the video above from our 2016 Winter Concert featuring the GHS Concert Band & Chorus.
- Our Lions Chorus continued the tradition of filling our halls with the holiday spirit the day prior to winter break.
- Each year, our Art Department oversees the customization of every Seniors Cragge Bowl uniform.
- Our Lions enjoyed "Pictures with Santa" on Tuesday and Wednesday during lunches this week. All proceeds from this activity will go towards our Prom.
- We held a staff holiday breakfast on Wednesday morning prior to the start of school. Collectively, we were able to wish Mrs. Betty Kraft all of the best as she begins her retirement in the New Year.
Wednesday, January 3rd-
-Freshman Boys Basketball vs. Audubon-4:00 p.m.
-Swimming Boys vs. Woodstown @ GCIT-7:30 p.m.
Thursday, January 4th-
-JV Boys Basketball vs. Wildwood-4:00 p.m.
-Varsity Boys Basketball vs. Wildwood-5:30 p.m.
Friday, January 5th-
-Wrestling vs. Penns Grove-6:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 6th-
-JV Boys Basketball vs. Gloucester Catholic-10:30 a.m.
- Varsity Boys Basketball vs. Gloucester Catholic-12:00 p.m.
Photo of the Week:
Week of January 8th - All 9th - 11th grade students link PSAT scores to Khan Academy account in Study Halls
January 10th - Parent Conferences (Day)
January 12th - Staff Development
January 12th - February ACT Registration Deadline
January 15th - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - School Closed
January 17th - Morning PD for Staff (Late entry for 9th, 10th, & 12th grade students)
January 17th - Junior “SAT Practice Test”: Report to School at Normal Time
January 19th - Class of 2019 1st Senior Trip Payment Opportunity
January 20th - Final Senior Trip Payment Due for Class of 2018
January 23rd-26th - Mid-Term Exams (Early Dismissal Schedule for Students)
January 29th - End of Marking Period 2/Semester 1
January 30th - ASVAB administration @ GHS
February 1st - “Gloucester’s Got Talent” Show CONFIRM WITH KRISTEN CHARLES
February 2nd - Groundhog Day
Week of February 5th - National School Counseling Week
MMS Parent Grade Portal
Nutrislice Parent Cafeteria Accounts
Lion's Roar Student Newspaper
GHS Guidance Department
College Board---Invaluable resources for nearly everything related to "College & Career Readiness"---PSAT's, SAT's, AP classes, college & major searches, scholarship searches, etc.
HESSA---Everything New Jersey families need to know about financial aid.
Federal Student Aid---US Department of Education's financial aid website.
AVID---Learn more about this application-based program which has proven to prepare all students for college readiness & success in a global society since 1980.
FEATURED COLLEGE OF THE WEEK
Gloucester High School
Gloucester, NJ 08030
(856) 456-7000 ext: 1513