Region 6 Leadership Update
March 31, 2020
2:00 Governor Press Conference TODAY
TEA Corona Virus Update
3,266 cases statewide with over 42,000 tested
124 counties are impacted
Sample resources for sample letters in the event that you have a staff or student confirmed or presumed exposed and need to communicate with your community.
- Sample Letter for confirmed COVID exposure_staff (word) March 27 2020
- Sample Letter for confirmed COVID exposure_student (word) March 27 2020
- Sample Letter for presumptive COVID exposure_staff (word) March 27 2020
- Sample for presumptive COVID exposure_student (word) March 27 2020
Fitness Gram: Since this is a statutory requirement to administer this. The Governor has waived this requirement and the reporting of this requirement.
Summer Leadership Conference -RESTRUCTURED
With the uncertainty of what the remainder of our school year in Texas we have made the decision to alter the 2020 Summer Leadership Conference this year. While we still want to honor you and your hard work and dedication to the faculty, staff and students of Region 6, the conference will look a bit different this year.
Our plan is to host a one day event for all our district and campus leaders at our Region 6 Education Service Center in Huntsville. This will take place on Monday, June 29, 2020. Our day will consist of our original conference keynote speaker, Gerry Brooks, a steak luncheon, break out sessions, optional golf tournament, and will conclude that evening with a fish and shrimp fry.
UPDATE: South Shore Harbour has cancelled all reservations for June 29-July 1
Leadership & Accountability
** REMINDER: Appraisal process needs each district to apply for a waiver if not able to complete all appraisals
- Assessment: Follow the link for Assessment Guidance - Chart for thinking through EOC scenarios. The assessment guidance piece on the website has been updated.
Teaching and Learning Department
Curriculum and Instructional Leaders Collaborative
WhenTue Apr 7, 2020 9am – 10am
As you know, the first Cohort Leader screener window is currently open and will close March 31, 2020. TEA has made the following statement:
Reading Academies activities are remote and proceeding as planned. We will continue to assess and address timelines on a weekly basis.
Right before school closures began, we sent out notes from our Authorized Provider training. If you missed this info, please email email@example.com to receive a copy.
All updates and important information are posted on our Instructional COVID-19 webpage. Included on the site, are links to helpful resources, specialist contact information, and the announcement of our upcoming regional collaborative webinars.
TEA: COVID & SPED Updates
Are districts still required to conduct MDRs?
- Yes, but refer to TEA’s School Finance FAQ (updated on March 25th) document for what counts as a “school day”.
Should districts and/or SSA’s be tracking COVID-19 SPED expenses?
- Yes, TEA could possibly reimburse districts and/or SSA’s (at a later time) for these
extra costs (mailing expenses, mileage, copying, supplies/materials, extra personnel, etc.). One recommendation was that each districts or SSA create an excel spreadsheet with a local expense code to track all COVID-19 related expenses.
SB500 (SPED Fiscal Supports) Funds
- TEA is expected to open another window for districts and SSA’s to apply for additional SB500 funds. TEA has not shared when the second window will open.
TEA Instructional Continuity Framework Resources
- Instructional Continuity Framework Overview (PowerPoint) March 30 2020
- Instructional Continuity Immediate Action Check List (PDF) March 20 2020
- TEA Instructional Continuity Planning Tool (Excel) March 24 2020
- Instructional Continuity Detailed Guidance (Word) March 30 2020