Issue 1: August 2021
I am so proud of our Fridley Middle School Students as they have been resilient and overcome an extremely challenging school year. I am excited to welcome them back into the building and kick off an amazing school year!
I am honored to be entering my 5th year as principal at Fridley Middle School and despite all of the challenges and uncertainty with the pandemic, I am still convinced that we will make this a great school year. We have had a busy summer preparing for the school year; transforming classrooms, preparing for in-person and online curriculum, understanding what we need to do to ensure student and staff safety as we return to school and getting pumped up to welcome our students back. Fridley Middle School has the most outstanding team and we are ready for students to return!
The S’mores newsletter has been a consistent way for us to share up-to-date information with families and we will plan to continue with that format. The information will be updated with any changes so check out this link every week. Please scroll all the way through the newsletter as there is important information throughout.
Thank you to all who helped prepare for the new school year. Your commitment to ensuring that Fridley Middle School provides the best learning environment to our students is appreciated. I eagerly look forward to greeting students and families again. Know that I have missed you all so much and cannot wait to support you all on your success this school year. Together, I know we will make this school year one of growth and achievement for all students!
Fridley Middle School
August 4, 2021: Update for Families
- Fridley Public School students in Preschool through Grade 12 will return to in-person learning at school 5 days a week.
- Fridley Online Academy is a fulltime, grade 7-12 online school. Students enrolled in the online academy will receive their learning online 5 days a week.
- The COVID-19 vaccine is not currently available for children ages 11 years old and younger. At Fridley Public Schools, students in this age-group make up nearly half of our total student population.
- To help provide a safer learning environment for our school community, all staff members and students in Preschool through Grade 12 will be required to wear face coverings/masks while inside district buildings.
- Students are required to wear face coverings/masks while on district transportation/school buses. This is a federal requirement.
- Per CDC, people who properly wear masks do not need to quarantine if they come in close contact with an infected person.
- The American Academy of Pediatricians strongly recommends face masks/coverings for students ages two years and older.
Health and Safety protocols
- The district will maintain strategies to protect students and staff, including continuing enhanced air quality protocols, enhanced cleaning methods, and providing hand sanitizer stations in each building.
- Students and staff with lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 and their household members will be asked to quarantine. Contact tracing will not be done in school.
- Social distancing is not required and there will be no group size limits.
COVID-19 vaccination and testing
- COVID-19 vaccinations and testing for COVID-19 are not required by the school district.
- This information is based on current guidance from the Minnesota Department of Education as of early August.
- The COVID-19 vaccine is currently available at no cost, and is recommended for anyone ages 12 years and older.
- Anyone ages 12 years and older who wishes to receive a vaccine can use this link to schedule one: Minnesota COVID-19 Response.
American Academy of Pediatricians recommendations for keeping students safe and physically present in school include face coverings/masks for staff and students ages two years and older.
Minnesota Department of Health recommendations for wearing face coverings/masks.
COVID-19 vaccine is available for anyone ages 12 years and older.
Centers for Disease Control recommendations for proper mask use.
Meetings will be scheduled on Tuesday, September 7 and Wednesday, September 8. The first day of school for ALL students will be Thursday, September 9! Be watching for a phone call or email from your teacher the week of August 30.
New Students in 2021-2022 School Year
BACK TO SCHOOL RESOURCE FAIR - SATURDAY, AUGUST 21
Due to COVID-19 social distancing requirements to keep the community safe, the Fridley Public Schools Back to School Resource Fair will use a drive-through format this year. Backpacks with school supplies and community resources will be available for students.
Please fill out the form below so we can plan for your child. Only students enrolled in Fridley Public Schools can receive a backpack. Please enter information for yourself and your Fridley students. Please note that you will need to attend the drive-through event in order to receive the backpack. This registration form is your ticket to enter the drive-through event only. You can enter up to 7 students’ names. For your child, or each one of your children, please enter your child’s name, your child’s grade for this fall, and the school your child will attend this fall. Fill out as many student boxes as you need and leave any extra student boxes that you don’t need blank.
The Fridley School District will be issuing Chromebooks to ALL students in K-12.
The Chromebook is a web-based device that provides access to Educational Resources and is managed by Fridley Google Apps for Education. Along with a login for the device, Fridley Google Apps provides online tools for writing, calculating, presenting, drawing and many other applications. Your child may use these tools for a variety of purposes for classroom assignments and distance learning activities. Fridley Google Apps can be accessed with other devices that have an Internet connection. Parents can choose to receive updates and learn about their student’s classes.
Parents/Guardians, please be aware of the following important information.
- Parents/Guardians must sign the Parent/Guardian Chromebook Agreement form before their child can receive a Chromebook. See Link Below to sign
- Chromebooks will be distributed at your child’s school either in the classroom OR at a specified date and time and you will receive notification of the information.
- The student receiving the Chromebook must be present during distribution time to receive it.
We have an important announcement we want to share with you. Beginning the 2021-2022 school year, all parents/guardians will need to have a Parent Portal account in Campus. The Parent Portal provides secure access to your child/children’s information such as class assignments, attendance, calendar, and grades. You can also use Parent Portal to pay for meals, fees, or school supplies.
There are many advantages of signing up for and using your Parent Portal account. It is convenient and easy to use, and gives you instant access to important information:
Nutritional Services: Manage your child/children’s meal accounts
· Make online payments using checking, savings and/or credit/debit card to pay for your student’s meals.
· Families can also set up automatic payments to pay for meals.
· Check current balances and see any purchases made on your child’s account.
Meal Benefits Application: Annual renewal made easier
· Apply for Meal Benefits Application in Parent Portal
· Parents/Guardians must apply each year to qualify for free and reduced priced meals.
· By applying, you also help the district receive additional funding to support classroom learning.
Activities & Athletics & School Store: Now includes shopping for school supplies
· Sign up and pay for Activities and Athletics fees for your child
· View and shop for your child/children’s school supplies
Transportation: Access important updates and information
· Access your child/children’s transportation information on the Parent Portal.
How to Activate your Parent Portal Account:
1. Go to Fridley Public Schools Home Page: www.fridleyschools.org
2. Select the Campus Parent Portal Login link in the top right-hand corner of the webpage.
3. On the Parent Portal login page, select New User.
4. Enter the Campus Portal Activation Key provided here: <this is the GUID>
5. Choose SUBMIT.
6. You will be asked to create a Username and Password.
7. Choose SUBMIT.
8. Your Campus Portal account will be activated.
All Middle School students will need to update their account information by enrolling in the district Password Portal system. The Password Portal provides the security REQUIRED to protect their Fridley account information from digital theft and other possible cybersecurity threats.
If you have login questions, please go to the Fridley Public Schools Student Online Support (SOS) page at the following address: https://sites.google.com/isd14.org/student-tech-resources/home?authuser=0
Also, if you have issues, you can submit a Service Desk Ticket using the following link: https://fhs.fridleyschools.org/support/student-tech-support
Health Services: Emergency Health Forms
It is also important that we are told about any health conditions your child might have. This information is listed on the emergency sheet as well. If anything has changed over the summer, please call the Health Office about this.
Attention parents of 7th graders
There are additional immunizations that are required for 7th grade; Tdap and Menningococcal. These are required BEFORE starting school or a conscientious objection form must by notarized and given to the health office BEFORE school starts. Notification letters were mailed to parents in May. The immunization form is on the District Web Page under Health Services. Please make an appointment with your clinic to get these immunizations completed as soon as possible.
Per our District Policy, all immunizations must be current in order to start school. Please help in making it a great start for your child's school year by getting this done.
Influenza Season is approaching!
Connect with your child clinic to schedule a flu shot with your primary doctor. Good hand washing is the BEST PREVENTION!
The Transportation Department in the process of getting all students who request transportation routed for the first day of school. As we prepare for a new school year, we want to share the following reminders with families:
- All Students are required to request transportation.
- Any 2020-2021 transportation requests for home, alternate address, or daycare will be honored and maintained during the 2021-22 school year.
- If you did not request transportation this school year and wish to have transportation for your child for the 2021-2022 school year, please submit a Transportation Request Form.
- You may include all siblings who will be riding a bus in the "Comments" section of the form.
- In August you will receive a message that the transportation information is set for the first day of school. Once you receive this notification, please log into your Parent/Student portal to access your information.
- If you move, change phone number or email please let us know so we can update your new contact information.
The Transportation Department is available, so please call or email us if you have questions, or any changes in your transportation needs.
FRIDLEY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Nutritional Services Resources
Completion of Application for Educational Benefits
Please complete the Application for Educational Benefits. You can find them:
They can also be completed online at: https://fridleymn.infinitecampus.org/campus/portal/parents/fridley.jsp
(you will need your Parent Portal username and password)
An Application for Educational Benefits must be completed every year.
If you received free/reduced priced meals last year a new application must be completed for the 2021-22 year and applications submitted prior to September 3, 2021 may be eligible for summer P-EBT benefits if approved for meal benefits. If your income has changed due to job loss or change, please complete an application These applications also help the district receive additional funding for support staff and teachers, so please complete the applications. When completing the application, please include all people living in the household including infants or young children, college students, and older adults who may be living with you.
Use of Bar Codes at Breakfast and Lunch
The district will be using bar code scanners to record student purchases in all schools. 5th and 6th grade students will have bar code cards for both breakfast and lunch use. 7th and 8th grade students can use a bar code card, last year’s student id or the bar code from the Campus Student Ap. Students will not be entering in their lunch pin on a key pad and it is important that all students have a bar code for the safety of the Nutritional Services staff.
USDA issues waiver for free breakfast and lunch for all students
The first full breakfast and lunch will be provided free of charge to all students regardless of if they have been approved for free or reduced priced meals. The meals will be free due to the USDA issued waiver allowing school districts to provide free meals following the Seamless Summer Option.
Students seconds, Ala Carte and Milk
Students who want a second entrée, Ala Carte or just want a milk must pay for those items, they are not FREE . Students purchasing these times must have money in their lunch account. Students are not allowed to have negative lunch balances to purchase these items. Students who are bringing lunch from home or want an additional milk can purchase them for $0.55.
Online Meal Payments
If your student wants to purchase extra milk or Ala Carte they must have money in their lunch account. To add money to their meal account please go to Infinite Campus. Money can also be sent to school with your student if you choose to pay with cash or paper check. Please include your student’s name, teacher’s name and lunch pin on the envelope. . If you are having trouble accessing the parent portal please email Campus.Parenthelp@fridley.k12.mn.us or contact your School’s Main Office for someone to assist you.
Monthly student menus will be available on the Nutritional Services website at https://www.fridleyschools.org/about-us/departments/nutritional-services/lunch-breakfast-menus We will be posting breakfast and different lunch menus for Hybrid and Distance learning. Our menus will look different this year, we will continue to purchase locally grown produce, provide student favorites, and school prepared meals. We are committed to providing your children with healthy meal options for them to be successful in the classroom.
We will continue to use more individually wrapped items and pre-portioned items for our students. Students will be allowed to take their own pre-portioned items from the fruit and vegetable bars. Condiments will be pre-portioned for their safety.
If your student has a medically diagnosed food allergy or is lactose intolerant, please contact Sara Supplee RD, Nutrition Coordinator, at 763-502-5028 to discuss your child’s needs. There are some additional USDA forms that must be completed.
If you have any questions regarding Nutritional Services please contact Renee Arbogast at 763-502-5022 for assistance.
Athletics and Activities Update
Fridley Schools offer many opportunities for 7th and 8th graders to participate in extracurricular activities. Some of our sports are for students in grades 7-12, others are specifically for 7th & 8th graders. Our Sports teams need participants. Below you will find all of the opportunities to become involved with a team at FMS or with FHS.
Good Luck and Go Tigers!!
You will receive a copy of our student-parent handbook at open house. Please take a moment to read through the important contents at the attachment below.