WABE Quarterly Newsletter Feb. 2023
Washington Association for Bilingual Education
WABE Vision Statement
Strengthen mindsets and practices that validate, affirm, and build on students’ cultural and linguistic identities. Promote rigorous accessible instruction for multilingual learners that integrates content, language, and literacy through intentional collaboration. Amplify the voices and experiences of multilingual students, educators, and families. Expand opportunities for heritage, tribal and dual language programs.
WABE Mission Statement
The mission of WABE is to promote inclusive and asset-based mindsets, systems, and practices that elevate multilingual learners.
Upcoming WABE Conferences or Related Institutes
- NABE Annual Conference in Portland, OR., Feb. 22-25, Register now.
- 2023 WABE Annual Conference, April 27 – 29 Hyatt Regency Bellevue – Bellevue, WA Registration is open, click here
Multilingual News in Washington State
- Inside the Movement to Revitalize Tribal Languages in WA Schools
- OSPI's Multilingual Education Program Updates for Feb. 3
- His grandmother was forbidden to speak Lingít in school. Now, school is helping him reclaim it.
- First Latina Selected to Lead National Principals Group
- Truth and Excellence: Teachers Bringing Their Best
Recent Multilingual News, Research, Posts...
Here is a super cute video, presented by two multilingual learners, on the benefits of being bilingual.
Bella Lawson, Jose Sabedre: The Benefits of Being Bilingual
We all have different ways of learning differentes idiomas. Third graders at Bostonia Language Academy. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at https://www.ted.com/tedx Screen reader support enabled.
Previous WABE Newsletters
Have anything to contribute? Suggestions?
If you have something you'd like to include in our WABE newsletter, an article you've published, research that impacted your craft, an event you would like to promote, please submit it here for consideration.