A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of January 21, 2019
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- No School on Monday, January 21
- SPECIAL VISIT FROM TEA on Tuesday, January 22
- BAS due Friday, January 25
- Achieve Level Set (Gr 3-5) all week
- National Handwriting Day (Kinder) on Wednesday, January 23
- Pizza with the Principal at 1 pm on Wednesday, January 23 (For students by invitation only)
- Faculty Meeting on Wednesday, January 23 **Dreambox Training-bring laptop**
- Region 12 Data Walk Throughs/Observations on Thursday, January 24
- Reading PLC on Thursday, January 24
- Region 12 Science Planning on Thursday, January 24 at 12:00-4:00 pm (Library)
- Girl CODE on Thursday, January 24
- Parent Huddle (Parent Training Opportunity) on Thursday, January 24 at 5:45-7:00 pm
- Twitter Chat #WacoISD on Thursday, January 24 at 8:00 pm **Hosted by Mrs. Helton
- Ned Shows on Friday, January 25 at 8:30 am and 9:30 am
- Student Leadership Committee Lunch (Gr 4-5) on Friday, January 25 at 11:00-12:00
- UIL Contest on Saturday, January 26 at UHS **Volunteers Needed**
Coming Up: Mock STAAR (Gr 5 Reading and Gr 4 Writing) on Tuesday, January 29; Tutoring starts on Monday, January 28
The focus of the visit (we have been told) will be on early childhood, so PreK and Kinder classrooms may be visited along with Inspiracion. However, they could still visit other classrooms as well.
Because they will need to get in early to set up, and we will need clean floor for students to sit on, we will need to follow a revised breakfast routine (like we did for the HEB Buddy Program). Please see below for details:
Pre: Cafeteria; supervised by Arthur
Kinder: Cafeteria; supervised by Santoy
1st Grade: Breeding's Classroom; supervised by B. Alvarado & Burks
2nd Grade: Noel's Classroom; supervised by C. Martinez & G. Columbus
3rd Grade: Long's Classroom; supervised by Olivarez
4th Grade: Palmer's Classroom; supervised by Ross
5th Grade: Drake's Classroom; supervised by Coach O
Hallway Supervisors: Denton, Flores, Helton, Bernal
From Your Captain
We will be giving Mock STAAR for Grade 5 Reading and Grade 4 Writing on Tuesday, January 29. We will be using the computer lab, library spaces, conference room, portables, and support staff to provide small group and oral administration for this test. We appreciate your flexibility and understanding involving any revised schedules or personnel changes that we may need to make to accommodate testing needs.
Alta Vista BINGO
Prizes include: jeans pass, get of duty pass, arrive early/leave late pass, Sonic/Starbucks drink passes, and more! Have fun!
Great things are happening in Morning Meetings! Keep spreading the kindness. Remember you get what you focus on.
Continue to reinforce our school agreements: Be Safe, Responsible, Respectful, Ready to Learn!
This week, please make a classroom thank you card to for the following assigned department and turn into Mrs. Helton by Friday:
- PK-Child Nutrition Services
- K-Health Services
- 3rd-Homeless Outreach
Here is a link to the January Morning Meeting plans: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vh2QX9fY9AlbqgJ2H13OeKxNzTguY51OowyyNa40vM4/edit?usp=sharing
Staff Members of the Week!
Congratulations Mrs. Bernal for being our Staff Member of the Week for always having a smile and a kind word for students and staff early each morning.
Ms. Long's class shared acts of kindness they witnessed during Morning Meeting Circle Time
Ms. Haskett's class added acts of kindness to their "kindness tree."
Mr. Frost read "We are all Wonders" to his class during Morning Meeting.
SEAS The Night Plans
You can take a look at the plans here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BUFoHYpCgtJbbKWyoFLZdxDZjs3mcoIez4NuSUxOggk/edit?usp=sharing
RESOURCE OF THE WEEK
10 Fun Alternatives to Think-Pair-Share
As we continue to focus on increasing student-to-student communication in the classroom, we can sometimes get stuck in rut using "think pair share." Here are 10 fun alternatives you can try with no or little prep!
Thursday, January 31st is Career Day at Alta Vista. Speakers are needed. Email Mrs. Maynard with suggestions.
Below are designated dress up days to included in future staff letter, maybe for week of January 14 and / or January 28th.
Monday, January 28th - It's "Elementary"! Wear Alta Vista t-shirt.
Tuesday, January 29th - Middle & High School are cool! Wear Waco ISD middle school shirt; for example, Cesar Chavez or Waco ISD high school shirt or colors ; for examples, Waco High Lions / red or University Trojans / purple.
Wednesday, January 30th - College T Shirt Day
Thursday, January 31st - College and Career Day
Friday, February 1st - Dress for Success: Students are encouraged to dress up to show possible future careers.
The elementary staff at Wiley Opportunity Center are repeating their series of after-school trainings for classroom teachers, this time on Monday afternoons. Everyone is invited to attend! The Wiley staff help problem-solve and provide a listening ear in addition to the training. Registration and details on Eduphoria.
Location: Wiley Opportunity Center
Time: 4-5 PM
- Monday, Jan. 28 Checking Emotional Engines
- Monday, Feb. 4 How to Lead Great Morning Meetings/Circles
- Monday, Feb. 11 "Own It Fix It" to Change Behavior