Mrs. Murphy's News
Week of August 31st
All About Math....
On Friday I gave the students a formative assessment, "quiz", to see how well they we grasping the skills. I sent each students graded quiz home in their folder on Friday. An example of the paper, and what I expected, is shown below. Please review this sheet and see how well your child did.
Next week we will focus on numbers 11-20!
All About Reading...
We worked on and reviewed the sounds S, A, T, I, P, N. We used our Jolly Phonics program to review these letters and sounds. The students enjoyed reviewing the sounds with the you tube video.
Read to Self was a success in our classroom this week! We made it to 4 1/2 minutes! The students enjoyed picking their own books and working on reading the pictures and the words. When reading at home this weekend remind them of the expectations and the 2 ways we read a book. Have them model to you what they learned.
We received our first poems this week as well. The students will be keeping all of the first grade poems in their poetry binder. At the end of the year, they will get to take the poems home to keep! They seemed very excited about this. We read our poems together and looked for some rhyming words together.
During writers workshop we began to brainstorm ideas to write about. We used an ABC quilt graphic organizer to write our ideas on. I filled out their ideas on the SMART board and they recorded the ideas on their personal paper. We made it about 1/3 of the way through the alphabet this week. We will continue next week.
- No school Monday September 7th! LABOR DAY!
- Early dismissal September 16th.
- Word wall words will be sent home soon! I have been testing the students on their mastery of the kindergarten words, as well as first grade words. When your child demonstrated frustration with a word/ words on the list, I stopped them. This is the list they will need to practice at home. When all 10 words are mastered, you will sign the paper and return it to school. There are 63 lists of words in First Grade!!!! Lets get started early :).
- We will continue to work on and practice our expectations. Please review them at home with your children this weekend. Next week we will start our daily behavior calendar!
- If you have not done so, please sign up for Remind. The directions are listed below! Thank you to all of the parents who have already!