Kenmore West School Newsletter
Dear Students and Families,
We hope that all of our students and families are enjoying the holiday season!
We are looking forward to welcoming our grade 8-12 students back to in-person instruction, beginning the week of January 4th. The in-person learning format will consist of hybrid instruction two days a week and remote instruction three days a week. The grade 8-12 hybrid schedule is included below:
- Grade 8-12 Hybrid Cohort A: (2 days a week) Monday, Tuesday - Return 1/4/21
- Grade 8-12 Hybrid Cohort B: (2 days a week) Thursday, Friday - Return 1/7/21
- Grade 8-12 Big Picture: (4 days a week) Return 1/4/21
- In-Person Self-Contained Students: (4 days a week) Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - Return 1/4/21
- Entering/Emerging English Language Learners (ELL) Students: (4 days a week) Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - Return 1/4/21
*Virtual Learning Academy (VLA) students will continue to attend remote/synchronous classes on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
*Wednesdays will remain at-home asynchronous learning days for all students
*All students who are scheduled to begin hybrid learning on January 4th or January 7th should ensure that they have their school schedule and room numbers for their first day of in-person classes. Please also confirm your correct cohort assignment by viewing your student schedule in Infinite Campus.
- Cohort assignments are included on your student’s schedule in PDF format on the portal.
First Week of Phase IV - Hybrid & VLA Learning (January 4th-8th)
- On Monday January 4th, teachers will review in-person learning expectations and classroom procedures with cohort A students and cohort B & VLA students will have an asynchronous assignment.
- On Thursday January 7th, teachers will review in-person learning expectations and classroom procedures with cohort B students and cohort A & VLA students will have an asynchronous assignment.
- Tuesday January 5th and Friday January 8th will be normal in-person/synchronous days of instruction.
- Students will be following their current schedules for all in-person learning.
- Wednesdays will be remote learning from home. Students complete assignments in Google classroom.
- Students are expected to attend school as a full day attendance.
Health & Safety Procedures Training for In-Person/Hybrid Learning
- Health & Safety Procedures Remote Training for Grades 8-12: December 21-22 (Remotely)
- Health & Safety Procedures In-Person Training for Grades 8-12: January 4th (Cohort A)
- Health & Safety Procedures In-Person Training for Grades 8-12: January 7th (Cohort B)
Grade 8 Orientation
- Grade 8 Orientation for Cohort A Students: January 4th
- Grade 8 Orientation for Cohort B Students: January 7th
Transportation & Drop Off
- You will receive a letter from transportation with your child’s pick up and drop off times and locations.
- Families who plan to drive their students to school should drop them off at the Door # 1 and #2 entrances.
- Our students' Chromebooks are an integral part of their learning. Please ensure they bring them to and from school each day. The devices should be charged overnight so that they are fully charged for the school day. Please bring the power cord and your own set of headphones to school with the Chromebook.
- Grade 5-11 students who did not receive a Chromebook will receive one upon their return to school. Grade 12 students will receive their device as soon as possible based upon vendor supply.
- Consistent with our safety procedures, children who are sick or may have been exposed to COVID-19 must stay home.
- Prior to attending school, parents/students will be asked to attest to the fact that, within the past 14 days, their child has not exhibited symptoms or a fever, tested positive, been in contact with someone who has tested positive, or traveled to an at-risk area.
- Students/Families must complete the district daily ‘attestation’ which will be sent out daily through Remind 101 and Email to confirm they are symptom free.
Medication (Medication Drop-Off Plan)
Please schedule an appointment with the school nurse to drop off your child’s medication, by calling the school. When dropping off your child’s medication, the following items are required:
- Medication needs to be in the original container
- A doctor’s order with instructions for giving the medication
- Parent signature on the Medication Form
- If indicated: attestation form for self-carry (e.g. for inhaler)
- Masks: Please ensure your child wears a facemask to school daily. An approved face mask must be properly worn at all times during the school day, including on school district transportation.
- Mask Breaks: Mask breaks are only permitted at the following times and locations:
- Staff authorized mask break times within the classroom
- Breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria (while consuming food or beverages at cafeteria desks)
- Social Distancing: Social distancing is expected in hallways and common areas. Classrooms are set up to ensure 6 feet of space is provided between desks.
- Polycarbonate Dividers: Dividers will be in place in common areas as well as in classrooms where 6 feet of social distancing is not possible.
- Handwashing and Hand Sanitizer: Handwashing will be encouraged throughout the day. Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the school for student use as needed.
- Lunch: Students will be 6 feet apart in our cafeterias during lunch.
We look forward to a successful transition to hybrid learning and safely welcoming students back to Kenmore West! Thank you for your continued support.
NEW YORK STATE JANUARY REGENTS EXAMINATIONS - CANCELED
Phase IV Hybrid Learning Handbook
Hybrid Learning Video
Cohort A - Begins January 4
Cohort B - Begins January 7
Frequently Asked Questions
Phase IV Hybrid Learning
2021-2022 Course Selections
School Counselors/Student Course Selection Meetings:
Infinite Campus Support & Resources
Kenmore West High School Website