SMART Lunch at Hickory High
End of Year Progress Report June 2015
What We Do at SMART Lunch
SMART Lunch Enrichment
Students with A’s, B’s and C’s earn free time to choose among:
- a social period with their friends
- open study hall in the library
- computer study in academic lab or upstairs APEX labs
- game time in a leisure computer lab
- flexibly scheduled enrichment activities
7415 students attended lunch with a teacher for study, free, or leisure time.
1762 students attended a club meeting during SMART lunch
- gym time= 1000 students a week
- SAT/ACT prep classes
- mentoring with a SMART lunch volunteer or lunch with a teacher= 3084 students so far
Students and Teachers Like SMART Lunch!
End of Year Teacher Survey
Of 54 teachers who completed the SMART Lunch survey,
- 96% responded that they enjoy school better on days we have SMART Lunch.
- 92.5% responded that tutoring during SMART lunch helps students make good grades on tests and quizzes
- 98% responded that SMART Lunch helps students complete class assignments.
- 96% responded that they would recommend SMART Lunch to other high schools as a way to improve student performance
- 100% responded that HHS should continue SMART Lunch for the 2015-16 school year
End of Year Student Survey
Of 590 students who completed the SMART Lunch survey,
- 98.9% responded that they enjoy school better on days we have SMART Lunch.
- 97% responded that tutoring during SMART lunch helps students make good grades on tests and quizzes
- 97% responded that SMART Lunch helps students complete class assignments.
- 89% responded that they voluntarily choose to attend tutoring during SMART Lunch
- 98.9% responded that HHS should continue SMART Lunch for the 2015-16 school year
Focus Group Meeting with Students
Next Steps for 2015-2016
- Track Student Grades- Comparison of overall grades from semester 1 last year to semester 1 this year does not show effect. Waiting for final grades for comparison over longer time span.
- Establish Stronger Monitoring of Teacher Referral to SMART Lunch- Currently monitoring SMART Lunch forms, studying another method to monitor.
- Make Program Improvements based on Teacher and Student Feedback-