We Are Together Tamanend!
January 25, 2019
Cooking with Friends
Students from Mrs. Frymoyer’s class and from the Friends peer group practiced their cooking skills on Thursday. They worked on identifying measurements, following directions, initiating conversations, and completing tasks independently while baking chocolate chip cookies. Everyone had fun participating!
Reminder--CB Save the Music Concert--January 25th and 26th at Holicong
Organized by the CB Music Department, the 16th Annual CB Save the Music Concert is here – next January 25th and 26th! This popular CB event supports the VH1 Save the Music Foundation, which helps schools provide music instruction to their students. Mr. Sanchez, Mr. Werner, Chieftain Chorus, Gold’n’Blues, and Jazz band are performing in this year’s concert. After raising enough money to entirely fund a music program at Thurgood Marshall K-8 School in New Orleans, LA in 2018, we are hoping to raise over $35,000 again this year to support another school music program. Tickets are selling briskly – they usually sell out, so get your tickets before they do! If you cannot attend, you can also support the cause by donating online (on Facebook or Crowdrise and liking/sharing/following the concert on Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Reminder--Join Us for Kelly Anne Dolan Day at Tamanend on Saturday, February 23!
Tamanend Student Art Work to be Displayed at CB Celebration of Schools
Congratulations to the following Tamanend artists whose artwork will be showcased at the January 31 Central Bucks Celebration of our School event at CB South:
Reminder--Program Planning for 2019-2020
Program Planning for the 2019-2020 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website. Please note that the Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 will be available on January 18. The Program of Students booklet for Grade 9-12 will be available on January 4. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- January 3--Program planning assembly for current 9th Graders
- January 4--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 10--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders) 6:30 PM at CB South High School
- January 18--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 18 to February 3--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 30--Program planning assembly for current 7th Graders
- January 31--Program planning assembly for current 8th Graders
- February 8--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 7th Graders
- February 13--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 7th Graders
- February 26--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 8th Graders
- March 5--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 8th Graders
Upcoming Events at a Glance
CB Save the Music Concerts--Friday, January 25 at 7:30 pm at Holicong Middle School; Saturday, January 26 at 3:00 pm and 7:30 pm at Holicong Middle School
Link to Unity--Saturday, January 26 8:30--11:00
End of 2nd Marking Period (early dismissal)--Monday, January 28
Community Connections Meeting (at Tamanend Library)--Wednesday, January 30 at 6:00 pm
Celebration of our Schools--Thursday, January 31 at at CB South High School at 6:30 pm
Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Day & Basketball Fundraiser--Saturday, February 23
Athletic Department Updates
FROM CB SOUTH:
- There will be an interest meeting for Boys and Girls Spring Track and Field at CB South on Tuesday, January 29th at 2:45 in the South gym health room D204. Contact Coach Gable (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
- There will be an interest meeting for boys tennis at CB South on Thursday, January 31st at 3:00 in the South Forum room.
- ImPact Testing for Spring sports will be held on February 13 in the Forum Room. Track and Field, Boys Tennis, and Boys Lacrosse start at 3:00. Baseball and Softball start at 3:45, and Girls Lacrosse and Boys Volleyball start at 4:30.
Order Your Copy of the Tamanend Yearbook!
Click here to order your copy of this year's Tamanend yearbook. The cost is $40.
New Tamanend Spirit Wear
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Reminder--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is February 5
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at email@example.com if you are interested in participating.
Reminder--Community Connections at Tamanend--January 30
Dear Tamanend Middle School Families,
Please join me in the Tamanend library on Wednesday, January 30 from 6 p.m. until 7 p.m. for “Community Connections,” one of a series of parent meetings scheduled to take place in each of our schools.
These meetings are designed to encourage frank conversations about our shared vision for the future of our schools. I hope you can find time to attend; I look forward to hearing your feedback and ideas.
A video introduction can be seen on the website homepage at www.cbsd.org/communityconnections.
I hope to see you on January 30!
John J. Kopicki, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Central Bucks School District
Celebration of Our Schools
Message to Community about the Spotted Lantern Fly
There is a rising concern about the Spotted Lantern Fly here in Warrington. This attractive bug is a menace to trees and plants and has destroyed fruit trees and other valuable plantings in other nearby municipalities. If every homeowner reading this can destroy the dormant eggs now by scraping them into a bag and destroying it, we will do much to reduce the spread of this pest. Thanks for helping. See 2 videos https://extension.psu.edu/how-to-remove-spotted-lanternfly-eggs and https://extension.psu.edu/spotted-lanternfly-management-for-homeowners.
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Internet Safety Presentation
Reminder--Parent Positive Presentation-Healthy Transitions from Elementary to Middle to High School
iSmart Parenting Presentation Sponsored by NOVA
Nominate a Tamanend Student for the CB Cares Boomerang Award
Nominations for the January’s Boomerang Asset are due by Tuesday, 1/29. The Asset for January is Asset #34 is Cultural Competence : Young person has knowledge of and comforts people of different cultural, racial, and ethnic backgrounds. Please submit your nomination through this link.
Thursday, Feb. 21st, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Tamanend 7th Grader Recently Performed at Carnegie Hall
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900