Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
Sunday, March 11, 2018
LCES United: Together We Are More!
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
It's been a while since a formal Colt Connection came home, but it's been a busy time at LCE. Although we still have 1+ quarter of school left, we are already setting our sights on 2018-19 and starting our planning for next year. On Monday, 3/12, we have no school to give our staff a day of planning and reflecting with their grade level teams. In the coming weeks, you can expect a survey to come into your inbox that will you give an opportunity to give our staff feedback on everything from your experience in our front office to how well you feel your child is learning in various subjects. Your feedback is important to us and we look forward to receiving it!
The last few weeks have been very challenging as we work to balance the essential need for our students and families to feel safe on campus with the equally essential need to be sure students feel comfortable so that they are better able to learn. I very much appreciate the ideas and insight that many of our Colt families have shared with me. Your perspective as a parent is different than my own in some cases, and you have helped us to identify gaps in our systems, policies and procedures that we are working to fill.
I would also like to publicly honor Mrs. Donna Warren, who was named as the VFW's State of California winner of the Smart/Maher award for teaching citizenship. Mrs. Warren's nomination is currently being considered at the national level of the VFW organization. In addition, Mrs. Tricia Shorkey was recently selected by her peers as a classified staff member of the year in the office and technical categories. Tricia will be representing LCE and WPUSD as our nominee at the County level! We are so proud of you both!
Spring time is such a fun and busy time at LCE. There is a LOT of info below about upcoming events - one thing's for sure - this spring will fly by! Details about all events can be found on our school calendar.
Kinder Registration - act by Fri., 3/23!
Upcoming Non-School Days
- Monday, March 12th (teacher professional development day)
- Saturday, March 23-Monday, 4/2 (spring break - school resumes on Tuesday, 4/3)
- Monday, May 28th (Memorial Day)
- Friday, June 8th (first day of summer break!)
Parking - Good Times! :)
Over the years, our PTC has been a generous contributor to our school site and they work so hard to help us build our school culture and community - we <3 PTC!
The LCE staff (and students) would like to thank PTC for recently allocating funds to pay for the installation of a new REFRIGERATED WATER fountain (yay!) by the tetherball poles. We hope the installation will occur over spring break, and we expect this extra fountain will make a big difference for our students as they re-hydrate after play.
The next PTC meetings are scheduled for April 5th and May 3rd. We'll be electing our 2018-19 board soon and we'll begin planning for next year. Your input is valued and encouraged. We hope to see you there! Contact PTC at email@example.com with any questions!
Musical Theater - Lion King Kids!
The Lion King costumes invite an emphasis on the visual arts and our Art Docents and parents have designed and constructed the costumes and props. Our PTC purchased the musical and also provide $500. to help with the cost of our props, etc.
This promises to be a night to remember! Tickets will go on sale to the school community on Wed., 3/14 in the school office. Tickets for general seating with be $1 and tickets at the door will be $2. All proceeds from ticket sales will support the LCE Musical Theater Program. If you have any questions, please contact Shelly Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
StarStruck is Here!
Tickets for the productions will go on sale on Wed., 4/3 and more info will come home prior to spring break about pricing. The shows are on Tues., 4/17 and Thurs., 4/19. Each night will have 2 shows - one at 6 pm, and a repeat at 7 pm. All students should plan to attend both shows on their night. Please drop your student off in their classroom by 5:45 and pick him/her up after the last show (around 7:45 pm).
Students will perform with their class on the following nights:
- Tues., 4/17: Brown, Warren, Giannini, Cassidy, Cook, Shelton, Shye, Stuckey, Botonis, Coleman, Williams, and Wright
- Thurs., 4/19: Fleshman, Swanson, Wetzsten, Risucci, Ochoa, Beatty, Bombard, Crook, Cruice, Whiteside, Hill and Sliepen
Consider reaching out to your teacher to see how you can help with dance costume planning or accessories!
Honoring a former Colt and current Zebra!
From 3/1-4/20, Blake and his friend (and fellow Zebra!) Ruby Rummelhart, will be leading a fundraising team to support lifesaving blood cancer research. You can support Blake and Ruby on their quest to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and be honored as their Students of the Year by visiting their fundraising page between now and 4/20/18. Please consider supporting two amazing kids, a cause close to their hearts and our local community!
- Mon., 3/12: No School to allow time for staff professional development; office is closed
- Wed., 3/14: Lion King Kids tickets go on sale in the office
- Thurs., 3/22, 5:30 pm and 7 pm shows: Lion King Kids Musical Theater production
- Sat., 3/24-Mon., 4/2: Spring Break - no school
- Tues., 4/3: School resumes
- Wed., 4/4: StarStruck tickets go on sale in the office
- Wed., 4/4: Vision Screening for K and 3rd grade students
- Thurs., 4/5, 3 pm: PTC Meeting in Science Room
- Fri., 4/6: LCE Spirit Dress Up Day - 80's Day!
- Tues., 4/10, 4-8 pm: PTC McTeacher Night
- Sun., 4/15: River Cats Game with LCE Choir Performing!
- Tues., 4/17: StarStruck show at 6 and 7 pm (arrive by 5:45 pm) for Brown, Warren, Giannini, Cassidy, Cook, Shelton, Shye, Stuckey, Botonis, Coleman, Williams, and Wright
- Thurs., 4/19: StarStruck show at 6 and 7 pm (arrive by 5:45 pm) for Fleshman, Swanson, Wetzsten, Risucci, Ochoa, Beatty, Bombard, Crook, Cruice, Whiteside, Hill and Sliepen
- Week of 4/23: Great Kindness Challenge
- 4/23-5/18: LCES SBAC testing window for grades 3-5; more info will come from your teacher about exact testing days for your child's class
- Tues., 5/1, 3 pm: Volunteer Thank You Celebration
- Thurs., 5/3: Tentative date for 5th grade Science CAST assessment
- Fri., 5/4: LCE Spirit Day - Superhero Day & May the Force/Fourth Be With You!
- Week of 5/7: Staff Appreciation Week
- Week of 5/14: Spring Book Fair
- Thurs., 5/17: Open House
School will be out of session on Mon., 3/12 for staff training. Spring Break is Sat., 3/24-26-Mon., 4/2. School will resume on Tues., 4/3.
AM Kinder: 8 - 11:20 am PM Kinder: 10:20 am -1:40 pm Grades 1-5: 8:15 am - 1:40 pm (supervision provided for students from 1:40-2 pm)
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.