Raureka School Term 2 Week 2
Newsletter 11 May 2022
Kia ora koutou katoa, Talofa lava, Kia orana,
Welcome to week 2. We had a great week last week with most things returning to normal.
We were able to have our first assemblies in the hall again and also all children were able to play together outside.
We also welcomed our 2022 new staff to school at a powhiri on Friday- please see photos below.
On Monday morning we were fortunate to have Matua Lum Tahuri from Te Taiwhenua visit and bless Rooms 12 and 13 along with Matua Hemi who supported our kapa haka roopu with this. (See photo's)
School Class Photo's Tuesday 24th May: Cost $12:00
Here is the information and link below for families to order and complete their payment
Shayne will also send us some payment envelopes to school for parents who prefer to use these - if you use these envelopes you will need to pay when you order.
SCHOOL PHOTOGRAPHS Tuesday May 24th
Thanks for stopping by
School photographs are being taken on Tuesday May 24th
- Your $12 package includes one single portrait and a group photograph , both sized 18x13cm.
- If you have more than one tamariki at school please complete one online form for each.
- Additional packages can be ordered and digital files are also available .
- Payment and your order needs to be received by Monday 23rd May 5pm
- Sorry, no late orders or orders on photo day can be accepted by the photographer.
We are looking for support
We will shortly be renewing the advertising section of our emailed newsletters. The newsletters are used throughout the year to keep our families and school community informed regarding school activities.
Should you, or anyone you know, like to place an advertisement on the school’s newsletter please contact Craig Neeve of Newsletters Unlimited, Ph 021 156 8476, or email email@example.com.
This is a great way to keep your business in front of the local community and also help our school.
Breakfast Club: This will be open every Tuesday and Thursday morning from 8:00 until 8:30 am- in the hall. Thanks to Shanny for running this.
IMPORTANT - If your child is away from school -
Reminder that you need to let the school know if your child is going to be away. Because of the current covid situation, it is essential that you let us know the reason they are away - eg coughing, headache, tummy bug etc.
You can phone either 06 8789766 or 027 557 0085 and leave a message.
Thank you for this, it is so helpful and we want to ensure your child is okay.
$10 Portrait Fundraiser
Hi Room 14 - what have you got to share with us this week?
Values Certificate Winners
Our four values are :
Respect/Whakaute, Responsibility/Haepapa, Resilience/Pakari, Relationships/Whanaungatanga.
This week we are focusing on - Responsibility/Haepapa, - which means: look after yourself and those around you by being a committed, contributing member of society.
The expected behaviour during this week is: use your initiative
The following children received awards at our last assembly:
R1Ariella Duff, R2 Keira Brightwell, R3 Esme Atkinson, R4 Rohan Polon, R5 Beautiful-Roze Jones, R7 Carter Nuku, R8, R11Drefan Brunton, R12 Harlem Tapara-Halbert, R13 George Bates, R14 Nathan Kingon, R15 Manaia Horua, R19 Tayah-Lee Ray, R20 Harlow Smith,
R21 Miesha-Mary Chadwick.
Esme Atkinson, Drefan Brunton, Beautiful-Roze Jones, Carter Nuku, Ariella Duff.
Harlow Smith, Miesha-Mary Chadwick, Tayah-Lee Ray, Rohan Polon, Nathan Kingon.
Manaia Horua, George Bates.
Rippa Rugby Wednesday 11 and Thursday 12th
Today some of our Year 3/4 children are taking part in the Primary School Rippa Rugby Tournament being held in Flaxmere. The Year 5/6 children are doing this tomorrow. Good luck to you all. A huge thanks to all of the parents who are supporting this.
Powhiri- Welcome to new staff for 2022
Room 12/13 Blessing- Opening
- Wednesday 11 May- Year 3/4 Rippa Rugby
- Thursday 12 May- Year 5/6 Rippa Rugby
- Tuesday 24 May (Wednesday 25 if raining) School Class Photos
- Monday 6 June Queens Birthday no school
- Friday 10 June: Leaders Conference HN
- Monday 20 June School Closed Teacher Only Day- no school for students
- Wednesday 22 June: School Matariki Celebration
- Friday 24 June School Closed for the new Matariki holiday- no school for students
- Friday 1 July School Disco
- Monday 4 Three Way Conferences- from 3:10- 6:30
- Tuesday 5 July Three Way Conferences School closes at 12:30 conferences- 1:00-5:30
- Friday 8 July End of Term 2
- Monday 25 July Start of Term 3
- Friday 30 September End of term 3
- Monday 17 October Start of Term 4
- Friday 21 October Hawke's Bay Anniversary Day
- Monday 24 October Labour Day- no school for students
- Monday 21 November Teacher Only Day - no school for students
- Friday 16 December Last Day of Year
Covid19 -We are at Orange level Orange now. We are seeing that cases are declining due to high levels of vaccination and natural immunity after infection.
At Orange, face masks are no longer required at school. However public health advice is that masks continue to be strongly encouraged when indoors. Wearing a mask is a key health measure that slows the spread of COVID-19 in indoor settings. For that reason, we ask that visitors to the school, including parents and whānau, wear a mask whenever they are indoors on school grounds.
We also ask that your child (if they are Year 4+) continues to bring a mask to school every day. There may be times that we’ll ask them to wear a mask, too – for example, when we are having an assembly in the hall. If there are a high number of cases at school or in the community, we may ask that masks are worn in classrooms for a time.
We will continue to keep all the other health measures in place at school that we know slow the spread of COVID-19. These include ensuring our indoor spaces are well-ventilated, maintaining good hand hygiene and cough and sneeze etiquette, appropriate physical distancing whenever we can and, most importantly, staying home if we are sick.
Remember if your child is feeling sick please keep them home until they are well.
If your child does need to isolate either as being a household contact or for testing positive please let us know.
Symptoms of COVID-19:
- A new or worsening cough
- Sneezing and runny nose
- A fever
- Temporary loss of smell or altered sense of taste
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
Less common symptoms include diarrhoea, headache, muscle aches, nausea, vomiting, malaise, chest pain, abdominal pain, joint pain, or confusion/irritability.
We know how hard the impacts on COVID-19 have been for many families in New Zealand. If you know of a family in your community who is struggling, please encourage them to reach out for support for example to access food, medicine, or access financial support: Help is available – COVID-19 Health Hub.
If you have any concerns, please do get in touch. We are here to help.
School Uniform – this is compulsory. No exceptions.
All children are required to have the school royal blue polo-shirt, royal blue hat, and on colder days the royal blue polar fleece jersey. All of these are available at the school office.
The lower half of the uniform (short, longs, skorts, skirts) must be plain black and can be purchased in town No stripes, no flowers etc, can
be purchased in town.
· Do your child’s records need updating?
- moved house?
- phone/cellphone numbers changed?
- living arrangements changed?
- emergency contacts changed?
- medical details?
IMPORTANT: Children are NOT to carry any form of medication in their bags etc. All medication must be held in the office. Parents must complete a Medical Form to enable staff to administer medication.
We often have a few ‘bugs’ around the school.
· A common one is a nasty cough/flu type illness. Keep your children home if they have symptoms of this as it spreads easily.
· If your child has had vomiting or diarrhoea, they MUST stay home for 2 days after the last event. This illness definitely spreads quickly around the school.
· Headlice are always around so make sure that you check your child’s hair regularly (we suggest weekly) and treat the hair if necessary. We have treatments available from school for free. Just pop in and we can give you some.
· If your child is at all unwell, please keep them home so that they don’t pass bugs on to other children. Also if a child is feeling unwell they are not able to learn easily and are much better off at home snuggled up in bed.
Don’t forget to contact the school office to let us know when your child is unwell please.
Volunteers needed for supervision of our school patrollers.
The children are well trained, it is just a matter of having an adult supervise from 8.30-9.00. Please contact Chris in the school office if your are able to help (even if you have helped in the past, please confirm).
Location: Raureka School Gordon Road, Raureka, Hastings 4120, New Zealand
Phone: +64 6 878 9766