Lowell Memo: Issue #19
February 19, 2018
Published by Lowell School & the Lowell PTA
There is no school on Monday, February 19 in observance of Presidents' Day.
Box Tops Deadline
It’s Box Top submission time! Please don’t let those Box Tops expire! We would appreciate any and all that you have by Friday, Feb. 23 just in time for our second submission on March 1. Thank you!
Don't forget to label the bags, envelopes and/or Box Top submission sheets with your child's name and teacher's name, as we're keeping track of the number of Box Tops submitted by each class, and the winning class will receive a special prize toward the end of the school year.
CULTURE FEST 2018
We are looking for families to present cultural tables on Friday, April 13th from 6pm to 8pm.
Please contact Andrea Koziarz at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to present a table or if you have any questions.
Grant information from Dr. Melton
Dear Lowell Community:
I am honored to be your child’s school principal and am dedicated to working with you, our teachers and support staff to do my very best.
As a principal it is my goal to make teaching and learning my primary focus. Everyone knows how day-to-day management tasks and outside distractions can take us away from our desired goals. As a result, many District 200 principals and I will be participating in a grant-funded opportunity and a nationally tested and proven professional development process called SAM. It uses a unique set of tools to help principals focus on activities that are directly connected to improving teaching and learning.
The first step in the SAM process is to determine how I currently spend my time at school. A data collector will “shadow” me for several days taking data every five minutes. The data collector will not interact with others and will try to be as “invisible” as possible so they do not change what I would normally do.
The data collector will carry a clipboard with a stopwatch and follow me wherever I go in the school throughout the day. The shadow will not speak or respond to anyone and will try to avoid eye contact so they do not become involved in our interactions.
After data collection is complete I will receive the results and begin a process designed to increase the time I spend focused on instructional leadership to improve teaching and learning.
Thanks for your support in helping us best meet the needs of your children.
Dr. Kathy Melton
PS: You can learn more about the SAM process at www.SamsConnect.com
Please note the following dates for PACE testing!
- 3rd-5th Grade PACE Testing: March 6 & 7
- 2nd Grade PACE Testing: March 13 & 14
- Make-up Testing: Week of March 19
Lowell Jamboree 2018
Thanks to all who have sent in their carnival and raffle ticket orders, bake sale and volunteer forms, as well as candy and prize donations!! Just a few reminders and updates:
- All pre-sale, volunteer, and bake sale forms are due Friday, February 23rd. The earlier you send them in, the better!
- We are still in need of donations for the classroom raffle baskets! These are so important to Jamboree and so exciting for the kids! Help us make the best classroom baskets yet and send in those themed donations to your child's teacher. They will be collecting through Wednesday, February 28th. For a list of the themes, please see your Jamboree packet.
- Keep sending your candy gram donations and any donations you'd like to give for Jamboree prizes! This keeps the cost of Jamboree down and helps increase the proceeds that benefit the Lowell PTA. (And it helps get that clutter out of your house!)
- Jamboree is executed exclusively on the help of our volunteers. We need over 100 volunteers for Jamboree to run smoothly! We are happy to accept the help of not only parents, grandparents, teachers and staff, but we would also love to see some Lowell alumni come back and help us in the faceprinting/tattoo and dance studio rooms!
- Directory Cover Contest information came out this week. If your student is interested in participating, please make sure their entry is submitted by Friday, February 23rd.
We look forward to seeing you all at Jamboree on Friday, March 2nd from 5:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m.!
Looking forward to the Lowell yearbook??
Order forms have gone home, but additional copies are available in the office! Stop in to pick one up or call the office to have one sent home.
We thank you for not double parking on Illinois, in the car line, and in the surrounding neighborhood during arrival and dismissal to keep the children safe. Car riders should remain indoors until they are called; they should not be on the playground. We also thank all families for crossing Illinois Street at the corner. Safety for the children is our top priority!
Save the Date: The annual Lowell 5K will be on Saturday, April 28, 2018!
View the District ESchool Bag!
Student Excellence Foundation
Support the Lowell PTA through Amazon.com!!
Bookmark this page for use anytime you need to shop at Amazon.com There are no price increases or fees for shoppers or Lowell PTA. Amazon funds the program as a fund raising opportunity for schools and organizations.