March 24, 2019
We have had a recent spike of flu like symptoms/ illness in the past couple of weeks. Please encourage your child(ren) to practice hand washing and covering sneezes and coughs. If experiencing flu like symptoms, including fever at times, please allow your child to have a respite. If you are unsure whether or not to send your child(ren) to school, please do not hesitate to contact the school and speak with Nurse Lori.
We encourage and value excellent school attendance, but want to ensure we keep our school community healthy. Thank you!
To those under the weather, Get Well Soon! We miss you!!
There are many exciting events scheduled for the spring months both before and after Spring Break. Please pay close attention to the important dates (listed below) and plan to join us for these exciting events that are planned for you and your children.
Great Work! Liam and Ryan Participated in the Dynard Elementary School Chess Tournament
Spring Pictures, Friday, March 29th
- Spring Picture Day is March 29th. There is still time to pre-order. https://classicphotographyimaging.simplephoto.com/. Click the link above to pre-order your spring portraits
Enter Access Code: 26FPEU2A
Don't want to pre-order? No problem.
Simply complete the order form that came
home with your child and return it with
payment on picture day.
Fun Run Pledging Opens In ONE WEEK!
Help us reach our Fundraising Goal- $30,000
Parent Action Steps:
1. Register your child(ren) on FUNRUN.COM on 4/1/19
2. Reach out to sponsors by sharing your pledge link.
3.All pledges and payments are made online.*
4. Cheer on your student at the Fun Run on 4/12/19
Run and Done Collections
- EASY for everyone! Sponsors only have to sit down once to pledge and pay while our school collects more funds!
- Sponsors can either make a pledge or flat donation! If they make a pledge per lap, their credit card is charged after the Fun Run!
*Cash and check payments are still accepted, Must be turned in according to school policy. Checks made payable to LES Fun Run. Your child(ren) will still get credit for the pledge or donation.
Thank you for your support of our school!
LES Fun Run Updates
- Mark your calendars for Friday, April 12th for our LES Spring Fun Run! If it rains, the date will remain the same and activities will be moved to the Gym). Date and times below:
April 1st: Fun Run Pep Rally (Gym), 2:45 p.m.
April 11th: Pre-Kindergarten Fun Run for AM: 10:45-11:15 AND PM: 3:00-3:30 (Gym)
April 12th: Fun Run: 9:15 -10:15: Grades K, 1, and 3 AND
10:15-11:15: Grades 2, 4, and 5
We need a total of 38 volunteers (28 volunteers for lap marking and 10 volunteers for the water station, if moved to the gym due to rain, we will not need a water station).“Volunteers Are Love In Motion”
Author Visit @ LES
Author Michael Dahl is coming to Leonardtown Elementary
on Thursday, March 28th.
4th & 5th grade presentation: 1:30 - 2:00 - LES Gym
2nd & 3rd grade presentation: 2:30-3:00 - LES Gym or Media Center
Pre-K, Kindergarten & 1st Grade - 3:00-3:20 - LES Gym
Michael Dahl’s visit to LES is being sponsored by the LES PTA.
He will also be visiting Park Hall, LM Dent, Banneker, Mechanicsville, Greenview Knolls, Green Holly, White Marsh, Park Hall and Piney Point. He will be in St. Mary’s all week.
A little about Mr. Dahl:
Michael Dahl is the author of more than 200 books for children and young adults. He has won the AEP Distinguished Achievement Award three times for his nonfiction, a Teachers’ Choice award from Learning magazine, a Seal of Excellence from the Creative Child Awards, several Moms’ Choice awards, the Moonbeam Award, and had been shortlisted twice by the Agatha Awards for his middle-grade mysteries.
What to expect:
Dahl will visit with our students the last week of March. He will discuss being an author, what inspired him to become an author, how an author works, and more.
We will not be holding a pre-order for his books. We have many of his books in the Media Center and have just received many more. He will sign these copies while he is at LES and they will be available for students to check out beginning on March 29th.
- LES Spring Fun Run is coming during the school day on Friday, April 12th. Please check your child's folder for more information sent home on Friday about when to start making pledges. We are in need of volunteers, please see below.
- Spirit Day! Mark your calendars for Maryland Day on Monday, March 25th. Help us celebrate Maryland's 385th Anniversary by wearing Maryland colors!
- Yearbooks are now on sale until March 29th. Please click here LES Yearbook Flyer 2019.pdf for more information.
- Students in Grades K-2 will be presenting an Earth Day presentation on Tuesday, April 9th. The Earth Day presentation schedule will include two show times:
1st and 2nd grade: 10-10:45 a.m.
Kindergarten and 2nd grade: 2:15-3:00 p.m
- 1st-Fun Run Pep Rally-2:45 p.m. in the Gym
- 11th-Pre-K Fun Run
- 12th-2 Hour Early Dismissal@ 1:45 p.m.; End of Marking Period 3
- 12th- LES Fun Run
- 15-22-Spring Break
- 19 and 22- LES School Office Closed
- 23-26- LES Military Child Week
- 26-Wear Purple! Military Child and Parent Breakfast 8:00 a.m.-8:45 a.m.
- 26-PTA Spring Cinema Night
- 30-PARCC Testing Begins for Grades 3-5 in ELA and Math
- 1- Report Card Distribution for K-5 (Grades 4-5 will view grades on HAC)
- 10-S.O.A.R.R. Assemblies (PARCC make up for students who have missed a test, may impact whether a student is present at the Grade 3-5 assembly)
K-2: 9:30 a.m.
3-5: 10:30 a.m.
- 21-Interim Distribution (Grades 4-5)
- 27-Memorial Day (schools closed)
Family Fitness Night 2019
LES PTA Needs You!
The Leonardtown Elementary School PTA Board is looking for volunteers to chair position(s) during the 2019-2020 academic year. PTA position descriptions and contact information can be found below.
We welcome anyone who would like to be involved. If you have time to help in any capacity, please contact LES PTA President Mrs. Megs Anderson: email@example.com
PTA Position and Description of Duties
The primary responsibility of the Vice President is to assist the President and help lead the PTA toward specific goals chosen by its members.
Month of the Military Child
***Please send in 2-3 pictures that represent your life as a military child. Please label all pictures on the back with a name. Place pictures in a plastic ziploc baggie. Give the baggie to your teacher to submit to the Main Office Attn: Mrs. Ziemba. Thank you!
April 23-26: Highlight LES Military Students (click on the button below to share a fun fact that will be shared with the school community during the week of April 23-26)
April 26: Wear Purple!; Military Child and Parent Breakfast 8:00 a.m. in the Cafeteria @ LES
Osprey Chess Club! Click on the link below for more information
- Thank you for all your support of our LES Outreach Program: Below are a list of items we can use to support families on a monthly basis. Thank you
snacks for school
pasta and sauce