VPWH Lion Pride
August 22, 2022
I want to remind families of a few important notes:
- Doors will open at 7:35. Please DO NOT leave your child unattended before 7:35. Please do not pull around the car line to drop off- only unload by the curb.
- No families are permitted to enter the building during arrival and dismissal. We must ensure the safety of all scholars by limiting all extra traffic at these times.
- Dismissal will begin at 3:10. All families should be in line no later than 3:40 to ensure scholars are picked up before teachers leave for the day.
- Please be extra patient with us the first week. We know it will take longer to teach families and scholars our routines, but we want to ensure everyone is safe.
- Please make sure to label your child's backpack with their name and phone number. Children are sometimes shy to tell us their names and this ensures we know how to reach you should we need to.
- The forecast includes rain- please be extra patient with us as we navigate potential weather delays.
- If there is anything we need to know, please write a note and place it in your child's backpack for them to give their teacher.
Please help us have a successful first week by adhering to all of our arrival and dismissal guidelines.
New to Car Line Pick Up? Watch this!
Back to School Preparation
- Pay close attention to what the teacher is asking you to do. If you aren't sure, raise your hand for help! We want scholars to know to advocate for themselves if they need something or are confused in the classroom.
- Be nice to those around you- everyone is hoping to make new friends this year. Introduce yourself to other kids and use your words if you have a misunderstanding with a classmate. Everyone can use some extra kindness!
- Use the bathroom during group breaks. We take all scholars to the bathroom together to encourage scholars to stay in class during learning time. Encourage your child to use the restroom any time they are given the opportunity so we can keep them learning and safe in class as much as possible!
- Make sure to speak loudly and clearly. People will want to know your name and we want to make sure to get it right. Speak up and be proud of who you are!
- There are lots of rules at school. We need to make sure everyone is safe and that we can make the most of our time. Be ready to focus and give it your best effort!
- They will leave everything in their lockers to limit distractions in the class. Make sure they know that they should not bring anything into the classroom with them.
When your child gets home from school, asking some specific questions can encourage them to share beyond the standard "it was fine."
- Who is one kid in your class you want to be friends with this year?
- What did your teacher do to help you today?
- What was the coolest thing you got to learn today?
- Was there anything that seemed confusing?
Scholars should arrive at 9 am and be dropped off at the front doors. No parents will be permitted to enter the building, but administrators and teachers will greet you outside.
Scholars will receive a snack and lunch while on campus. Please make sure they have breakfast before arriving.
Families should line up in the car line at 1 PM to pick up their scholars. Please remain in your vehicle and we will escort your child to your car.
Scholars with last names A-I should attend on Monday and Scholars with last names J-Z should attend on Tuesday. All scholars should report for their first full day on Wednesday at 7:35.
Meet Our Team!
Important Upcoming Dates
- August 22- First Day of School!
- August 22: Kinder Orientation from 9-1, last names A-I
- August 23: Kinder Orientation from 9-1, last names J-Z
- August 24: First full day for Kindergarten
- September 5: Labor Day
- September 16: No School PD Day
- September 30: No School PD Day
- October 10-14: Fall Break
Full School Year Calendar: https://breakthroughschools.org/calendar/
Our mission is to get a high quality education.
Our mission is to ensure we are all ready for college.
Today I will think critically.
I will be responsible for myself and my classmates.
I will be an advocate for what is right and just.
I will help make my class a safe environment.
I will work relentlessly to succeed.
I will be the best Village Prep Scholar I can be.
Deans of Culture: Message from Mr. Brownrigg and Mr. Shelton
Family & Scholar Support Team
Family Resource Corner
Spread the Word: Refer a Friend or Family to Breakthrough!
We know amazing families know amazing families! We could use your help. Do you know someone who is looking for a school to call home? Please let all your friends and family members know that we still have space for more scholars to experience a top-notch education. You can use this link to refer them https://breakthroughschools.org/share-school-friend/. Referring a friend or family member only takes about 2 minutes to do, and it could make a huge difference for any parent looking for a new environment for their child
Our mission is to provide a high quality, academically rigorous education for the college bound scholar. We empower our scholars to think critically, assume social responsibility, and serve as advocates for themselves and the community. We achieve these goals with in a highly focused, structured and safe environment. We, as a community of educators, families and scholars work relentlessly to ensure that every child is prepared to succeed in a competitive world.