News From RStar512
Week of December 3rd
Want to Recognize A Staff Member?!
Want to get your child's teacher or staff member a little treat? Click on this button to access the "Favorite Things" of each of our staff members.
Are you interested in helping or volunteering in the Rising Star Library and MakerSpace? If so, please fill out the form below, and Mr. Wilson will contact you to set up your visits! We have lots of fantastic volunteer opportunities available!
Make sure you have signed up through PeachJar to receive our digital flyers. This is how we distribute community flyers for upcoming events and information.
FOOD SERVICE….Did you know…………
Did you know ways to keep you and your family healthy during the holiday season? Please follow these 4 basic food safety steps to reduce the risk of foodborne illness: Clean, Separate, Cook, and Chill.
- Hand washing is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of foodborne illness. Remember to wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds before and after handling food.
- Wash all kitchen counters, dishes, and utensils with hot soapy water.
- Prevent cross-contamination by keeping raw meat, poultry, seafood and eggs separate from all other foods.
- Designate one cutting board for fresh produce and another for raw meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs.
- Use a food thermometer to ensure your foods have been cooked to the proper minimum internal temperature.
- Keep food at 140° F or above after cooking.
- Microwave food thoroughly to 165° F.
- Refrigerate perishable foods within 2 hours. Remember to store leftovers within 2 hours as well.
- Know when to throw food out. When in doubt, throw it out.
Don’t forget – if your child receives free or reduced meals, they are eligible for one breakfast and one lunch per day as part of this benefit. All breakfast and lunch meal choices are available for all students regardless of eligibility status.
The school breakfast menus, lunch menus, and other nutrition information are available on the district’s website at https://www.smsd.org/about/departments/food-service.
Chat & Chew Books & Dates
Books can be found in our Rising Star Library, in most teacher’s classrooms, at the Johnson County Library & of course on Amazon or in brick & mortar stores. If you choose to purchase the books for your student, please consider donating them at the end of the year so that we can have more copies available to lend out each year. Donated books can be given to Mr. Wilson in the library. Thank you!
*Chat & Chew Party: Those students who have read & attended at least 3 Chat & Chew book sessions are invited to bring their lunch & their favorite book to share with their peers.
(Chat & Chew is held in the classroom during the student’s lunch period)