May 16, 2016
Victor E. Bell, Jr. Scholarship Winner!
College Foundation, Inc. (the “Foundation”) established the Victor E. Bell, Jr. Scholarship Program to encourage high potential students with limited financial resources to aspire to a college education.. Schools with Gear Up or AVID could also nominate a second student from their schools.
The individual awards are $2,000 per year and are renewable annually up to a maximum total of $20,000 per recipient!
North Wilkes Middle School Winner
Submitted by: Kim Welborn, Counselor
Virtual Job Shadow Recognition
Luis Rodriguez Presentation and ASU Tour
Summer Camp Deadline Reminders
Huge SHOUT OUT! to all the Counselors, teachers, and administrators who helped with student selection, distribution and collection of the summer camp trip forms!
- May 13- AsULead Camp Registration Deadline for WCS
- May 13 -High Country Coding Registration Deadline for WCS
- May 24 -WCC STEAM Academy Registration Nights for Wilkes
Summer Programming Updates
GU WCC-Bekah Gardner
General info regarding the leadership camp:
- Full days from 8am-5pm starting each day at WCC.
- Mornings will consist of WCC exploration and afternoons will be behind the scene tours exploring careers of local businesses. These include WRMC, Wilkes Communications, Lowes, a manufacturing company and local government entities.
- Leadership activities will be sprinkled throughout the week.
- Lunch will be provided (most days on campus, final meal off campus will include etiquette tips)
- Transportation and additional chaperones provided by WCS.
- Registration will be open Monday and the first 20 students that complete the online application and after confirmation with parents/guardians will be selected. Preference will be given to those that have not participated in any WCC Gear Up activities (out of school days).
Updates from GU ASU-Lance Schoychid
ASU Lead is a summer program that targets rising 8th and 9th grade students. Students will stay on campus in the residence hall on ASU's campus. During their stay, students will participate in teambuilding activities, learn more about college, develop leadership skills, and prepare for their high school careers.
Wilkes ASU LEAD Dates
Rising 8th Graders: July 11-12, 2016
Rising 9th Graders: July 13-15, 2016
High Country Coding Camp
GEAR UP has partnered with High Country Coding Corps (HC3) to provide a coding camp that uses Minecraft to help students gain STEM and 21st Century Skills. Students will spend time at Boone's new Center 45 climbing gym where they will develop and gain physical strength during this camp.
Wilkes Coding Camp
June 27-July 1, 2016
ASU Juntos Summer Camp
The Juntos initiative provides culturally-appropriate services for Latino Students and their families. This summer, ASU will provide a summer camp experience for those students.
Wilkes Juntos Camp
June 27-29, 2016