Kickemuit Middle School
Husky Highlights: January 9, 2020
Hello KMS Families!
Please review the information below and let us know if you have any questions.
Your KMS Administration Team
Dr. Rosemary Burns | Grade 8 Administrator
Mr. David Patota | Grade 7 Administrator
Mrs. Michelle Clifford | Grade 6 Administrator
Mr. Frank DeVall Jr. | Dean of Students
List of Information & Reminders included in this Newsletter
- Rhode Island's Top Underwater Robotics Seaperch Team
- Jr. DECA
- Adult/Student Mentoring Meeting
- Generation Citizen | Rhode Island Civics Day
- National Junior Honor Society Meeting
- "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition
- KMS PTO Updates
- Caffeine & Conversations with our Admin Team
- School Store: Opening Fridays starting January 17th
- Bristol 4th of July Button Contest | Deadline January 18th
- Athletics Updates
- Spring Musical Information
- Screenagers: Next Chapter | Open to the Public
1. Congratulation's KMS Robotics! RI's TOP Underwater Robotics Seaperch Team!
In December, the students below competed in teams of 2-4 at the SeaPerch Derby at New Bedford High School. KMS won the top 3 awards! They won 1st Place in the Mission, 1st Place in the Obstacle Course and 1st Place Overall Middle School.
Gabriel Lane, Logan Sartrys. James Thibaudeau, Selena Goncalves, Gracie Burke, Timothy Hazard, Liam Reich, Adam Garies, Ryan Farrell, Priya Enjeti, Grayson Lautieri, Lucien Chidester,, Alex Calvert, Mia Cabral and Aidan Enjeti.
And a special thank you to Ms Krawczyk, Mr. Sharp and Mr. Pavia!
2. Junior DECA
Seventeen students participated in the competition and were awarded completion certificates. In February, Madison & Sierra are planning to host a shadow day at Mt. Hope High School where the Jr. DECA students can shadow students in the marketing pathway and take a class in marketing management, marketing foundations, broadcasting, video production or finance.
Congratulations to all the students who completed the program and placed 1st, 2nd & 3rd on the test and in the role play competition. Also a huge THANK YOU to Madison & Sierra for coming down to share their knowledge of the DECA program.
3. Adult/Student Mentoring Meeting
4. Generation Citizen | Rhode Island Civics Day this Friday, January 10th
There are representative selected from each class to attend Civics Day and they will give a 6-10 minute presentation of their projects to judges. This portion of the day is set up like a Science Fair and student will speak to 4-8 community members over the course of an hour!
Lunch will be provided!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Please review this FAQ page to find information about lunch, what students should wear, how to prepare and what to bring
6. "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition | A Win-Win-Win Situation!
A WIN-WIN-WIN SITUATION
When you donate your unwanted plastic materials to KMS not only are you helping to keep thousands of pounds of waste out of landfills, you're also helping us to continue to create beautiful and environmentally responsible outdoor products.
Drop off bins in the front foyer | Contact - Molly.Scarborough@bwrsd.org with questions
KMS PTO Wood Sign Paint Night
Thursday, Jan. 16th, 6:30pm
850 Hope Street
Join us for a fun night of painting! You will paint a wooden sign that says HOME with 5 interchangeable pieces for the O in HOME.
About this Event
'HOME' Wooden Sign Paint Night ! HOME sign with 5 pieces to interchange for the letter O. Additional pieces can be purchased at the event for $5.
Light refreshments will be served. The bar will be open to purchase drinks.
Sign up today! Link Below:
8. Caffeine & Conversation with our Admin Team | January 16th
If you would like to attend, please call or email Melissa Benevides at 401-245-2010 x2006 or email@example.com
11. Athletics Updates
Bristol Warren Athletics strives for having hardworking, respectful and responsible Student-Athletes on and off the field. Being a member of a Kickemuit Middle School athletic team is a privilege and the attainment of this carries with it certain traditions and responsibilities. You must remember that as a student-athlete, you represent not only yourself, but also your
team and the entire Bristol-Warren community. You must be committed to balancing your academic, athletic and social responsibilities in order to ensure success for you, your team, and the department of athletics.
Please refer to the student-athlete handbook for Academic Eligibility Participation in Athletic and Extracurricular Activities (pages 8-10).
Spring Sports Registration Opens January 13th - February 23rd
Spring Season Begins March 2, 2020
Spring Sports offered: Baseball, Softball, Boys & Girls Track, Club Lacrosse & Intramural Tennis/Volleyball
- Club LAX is run by the Parent Group & requires special insurance that can be purchased at USlacrosse.org.
- Baseball/Softball fields open as early as April 1st. Practices are at Colt State Park once the fields are open, from 2:30-4:30PM
- Registration is done through Family ID (link will become active on 1/13/20)
- All schedules will be on RIPCOA.Org or Mthopehuskies.com closer to the start of the season.
- All students must have be signed up on Family ID, have a RIPCOA risk form and current physical on file with the nurse in order to participate or try out.
12. Spring Musical
Here is the announcement you have been waiting for! If you want to be part of our spring musical production, whether acting, singing, dancing, stage crew, set crew, or costume crew, stay tuned for another announcement by week’s end. We plan to meet next week - day and time TBA - to discuss the audition schedule and any questions you may have.
Auditions will take place the week of January 20th and rehearsals will begin the following week. The show is scheduled for March 20th, 21st, and 22nd.
We can’t wait to see you all and start our new season!
13. Screenagers Next Chapter | January 28th @ 5:30PM
BWRSD & BWEF are hosting a screening & discussion of Screenagers Next Chapter on Tuesday, January 28th in the Auditorium. 5:30PM Pizza & Refreshments followed by 6:00PM Introduction & Film presentation and then a discussion from 7:15-8PM.
High Stress, anxiety and depression are experienced by millions of young people. We follow physicians and filmmakers Delaney Ruston as she discovers solutions for improved adolescent well-being in the digital age.
Source & More Info: https://www.screenagersmovie.com/about