This Week @ PS 88Q
August 19th, 2023
All students return on Thursday, September 7th.
A Message From Mrs. O'Shaughnessy
This week as I walked the empty building, I thought about what it will look in just a few weeks time. This made me smile. When people find out that principals work 12 months, they ask me "What do you do all summer?" Some of these people are my children! 😂😂. I read an interesting quote, "Champions are made in the off season." This pertains to winning sports teams, and winning schools.
Summer provides our staff a time to recharge, reconnect and plan. Time is indeed the greatest resource. As for me, I do that as well, but while working. If you happened to see me this summer at PS 88Q, I was dressed for physical labor! We are growing, expanding, evolving and updating. I did visit Summer Rising @ PS 91, attended many central and district meetings, joined the hiring committee for the interviewing and hiring of 10 new staff members, and planned for the 2023-2024 School Year! There was indeed a summer crew at PS 88Q that I spent my days with. The building had so many contractors working around the clock. Summer is a vital time for our custodial crew as well, as they have the time to work on all of the behind the scenes work. They worked so hard to have us ready too!
When our staff and students enter the building in September, they will notice some of our upgrades. For example,
- new flooring in some of our rooms, as well as beautifully sanded and restored wood flooring in others
- our auditorium received and update, with all of the wood being restored. Our stage backdrop is being replaced as well.
- new lighting in the main office as well as the first floor
- bathroom renovations
- new furniture for our entire kindergarten
- installation of new doors in selected classrooms
New Projects Beginning this year:
- complete wifi upgrade
- complete camera system install
- updated door buzzer system
- playground construction. This will alter our arrival and dismissal protocol. All new procedures will be shared with our families.
This week is the last week of summer vacation for our assistant principals. They return on August 28th. All other staff return on September 5th (teachers, paraprofessionals, secretaries, guidance counselors, etc)
What to expect the next two weeks:
- You will receive an email regarding your child's class for September. Emails will be sent to your child's email, as well as your personal email (if you have provided one).
- If you have not accessed your child's New York City Schools Account, please do so, as I will begin messaging through that system on August 28th. You will also have access to ALL OF YOUR CHILD'S INFORMATION (SEE VIDEO BELOW)
- Update your existing Operoo for any additional information (emergency contact info, updated address, phone number etc)
- I am hosting a Meet and Greet August 31st from 10am-11:00am in our small school yard.
For any families who completed the interest in registering, you will be contacted regarding onboarding.
Enjoy this beautiful weekend and reach out anytime!
Family Facing 2023-2024 School Calendar
September October November December January February March April May June September 2023 Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Suicide Prevention Month College Savings Month Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept 15-Oct 15) 1 4 Labor Day 5 6 7 First Day of Schoo...
Welcome To Our 3K and Pre-K
We are getting ready for our littlest scholars, our 3K and Pre-K students. For our early childhood families, we know how exciting, and nerve-wracking this time is. Our early childhood team is the best there is! Your first week of school will be different than the K-5 families. We ease the students into the routine, and provide the time for you to be in the classroom with your child, and other families. The staggered schedule, and hours for the first few days of school will be emailed to you directly this week.
This week, Mr. Canales interviewed Ms. Wasserman for our 88 Podcast Special. Listen below for some information!
In June, we held our PTA elections, and we are happy to announce that we have a new PTA Board. They are:
President: Samantha Desz ( PTA88President@gmail.com )
Treasurer: Sabita Krishnan (PTA88Treasurer@gmail.com)
Secretary: Camila . (PTA88Secretary@gmail.com )
They have been working hard this summer and have begun planning many events, opportunities and new initiatives for the year. Stay tuned for their "Swing Back Into School" event to kick-off the school year. To join their mailing list, please click below!
District 24 Community,
Please join us for the upcoming August 22nd CEC24 Meeting at 6:00 pm. The CEC24 August 22nd agenda
is attached in several languages.
The location of the school is Public School 7 - 80-55 Cornish Avenue, East Elmhurst, New York.
Interpreters will be available.