Avoca West News
Week of February 8th
Report Card Follow Up
- The standards listed in each subject area match goals/expectations that should be mastered (DEV) by the end of the school year. Although teachers give feedback to students on assignments and projects, the report card should reflect THAT POINT IN TIME. It does not indicate the "average" of assignments and tasks from the first semester (like grades were when I grew up), but helps show you where he/she is at on the standards based on what they've seen through those assignments/experiences.
- Is there something that doesn't match what you see from your parent point of view? Please reach out to your child's teacher. There is no need to wait until our formal conference time to talk about specific questions, concerns, or goals you may have for your child.
- Speaking of conferences, be sure you have March 21st & 22nd marked on your calendars as half days for students. Parent-teacher conferences will take place in the afternoon/evenings. Teachers will use Sign-Up Genius for parents to sign up for conference time. Sign up links will be shared Monday, February 20th -- stay tuned!
Rose Sale for Best Buddies
Order forms will be taken all this week - $2 for one stem, $5 for three stems. Buy as many as you'd like...even if you're buying them for yourself! Students are welcome to give their flowers to friends, teachers, or to the "Worlds Best Moms & Dads!" Best Buddies volunteers will deliver the flowers to students at the end of the day on Valentine's Day to be taken home. We hope you'll take part and bring some red roses home for a good cause!
The only way to miss out on Valentine's Day love is by missing the deadline!
Calling all Kindergarteners (for the 2018-2019 School Year!)
Registration for kindergarten will NOT take place that evening, but you're welcome to start rounding up your birth certificate and proofs of residency. We will hold registration for kindergarten families on:
- Wednesday, March 21st - 1:00-4:00pm &
- Friday, March 23rd - 8:30-12:00pm OR
- Anytime after Kindergarten Information Night!
We will talk more about the registration paperwork requirements at Kindergarten Information Night. See you then, and pass along the word to anyone else who might be joining us this August!
This Week's BRAVE Viking VIPs
5Essentials Survey -- THANK YOU!
Many thanks to those parents who were able to log in and share their feedback about Avoca West on the 5Essentials Survey. We are proud of our parent involvement and will look to share the data with you when it is analyzed and returned to use in the future. In the meantime, than you for all of your support and collaboration!
Mark Your Calendars!!
2/8 - Art in Action Day (Thanks in advance for all of our volunteers!!)
2/10 - 6:00-9:00pm- Avoca West's Family Night at Marie Murphy
2/15 - 7:00pm - Combined Choir Concert at Marie Murphy
2/19 - No School - Presidents' Day
2/20 - Spring Conference Sign Ups Sent out to parents
2/22 - Board of Ed Meeting at Marie Murphy
2/25 - 12:00-3:00pm - PTC's Fun Fair & Silent Auction at Avoca West
2/27 - 6:00-7:30pm - 2nd grade Folk Night
3/5 - 5:30pm - Committee of the Whole Meeting at Marie Murphy
3/7 - 7:00pm - PTC Meeting at Marie Murphy - All are welcome!
3/14 - 6:00-7:00pm - Kindergarten Information Night at Avoca West!
3/21 - Half Day Students - Parent-Teacher Conferences 3:00-7:00pm
Kindergarten Registration open from 1:00-4:00pm
3/22 - Half Day Students - Parent-Teacher Conferences 3:00-7:00pm
6:30pm - Board of Education Meeting at Marie Murphy
3/23 - No School Students - Teacher Institute Day
3/24 - Spring Break Begins!
4/2 - Student Attendance Resumes
Don't forget to stop by the Avoca PTC website for updated information and dates to put on your calendar as well. There are many exciting events going on -- including our Spirit Wear sales!!