Academy of St. Benedict the African
January 22, 2023
Week of January 22, 2023
The video above has highlights of this week's bulletin.
Monday, State Representative Sonya Harper is expected to visit at 10:30. As we work to keep the Invest in Kids Act (Tax Credit Scholarships) in place, I invited her to see its direct impact on our students and the school. Any of our tax credit parents who would like to speak with her, please feel free to come to school at 10:30. Hearing directly from you is most meaningful.
Registration for the 2023-2024 school year continues. Over 40 children are registered! Get those seats saved now! Once the $25/reg fee per child is paid, you will receive the $25 gift certificate to our spirit store per child! This offer runs through 2/10. There are class incentives, and I've added them below. For our current 7th graders, there is a special incentive. When their whole class is registered, we will order their Class of 2024 hoodies! Register early and ensure a seat! Also, if you refer a new family, you will receive a $300 tuition credit (credited $150 in Dec and May). We will fill up! Use this link: https://forms.gle/mGCqKp9M5YAgxhj48 It's also on the app!
January 27th at 9 AM - January 31st at 9 AM is our Double Good Popcorn Fundraiser. All proceeds will go to our playground fund! Please set up your family's store on our school store using code AGIBLD. See the flyer below!
Catholic Schools Week is fast approaching! This is a celebration for all Catholic Schools around the world! Our schools are special, and this is the week we truly celebrate.
Schedule of events for the week of January 30th:
Monday 1/30 - Cardinal Cupich visits to bless our chapel and attend our Monday morning assembly.
Tuesday (1/31) - Family Art Night from 5-7 pm. Families will have fun with art projects, enjoy dinner, and take home a STEM kit. Sign up on this sheet
Wednesday (2/1)- We celebrate our Parents! Look for a special treat at drop-off! Classes will play Buddy Bingo in the morning!
Thursday (2/2) - We celebrate our Faculty and Staff! Thank you notes to our staff are always welcome!
Friday (2/3) - We celebrate our students! It's a dress-down day. There will be a special treat at lunch and games in the afternoon!
Clubs & Games this week:
- Monday- Chess Club and Basketball practice
- Tuesday-Basketball practice, Spanish Club for K-3 3:15-4:00 Register here
- Wednesday - Basketball skills practice from 2:15-3:15, Dance
- Thursday - Cooking Club Grades K-3 3:15-4:00. Register Here - a few spaces are remaining!
- Saturday - 7/8 Basketball game @ 11:05 AM (arrive by 10:45), 5/6 game @2:20 PM (arrive by 2).
**Fight Like a Girl will start a new session in February - sign-ups will start next week!
Upcoming important Dates:
- January 27 - 31st - Double Good Popcorn Fundraiser. Code AGIBLD
- January 31st - Family Art & Literature Night from 5-7 pm. Dinner is included at this free family event! The registration form is here.
- February 9th - Home Run Inn Pizza Day. Money and slip are due by 8 AM on 2/1. Forms were sent home. The slip image is attached to this update.
- February 23rd -Black History Program 10 AM. (please note, this is a date change)
In the event of inclement weather, any shifts to e-learning or delays in the opening of the school day will be posted on both the school mobile app and Bloomz. We will also post on www.emergencyclosingcenter.com.
Let's make this week a great week for learning!
773-776-3316, enter 101 at the voicemail message if needed.
FUNDRAISER - STARTS ON FRIDAY THE 27TH AT 9AM - GET YOUR STORE SET UP!
Home Run Inn Pizza Lunch Day
Join Us for This Wonderful Celebration!
The calendar is always accessible on our website and our mobile app.
2022-2023 School Calendar
Five hundred children's disposable face masks (no cloth) will earn 2 PAWS and 1000 masks for 4 PAWS.
The masks can be sent as a gift if you order from Amazon. Please add your name to the gift receipt for proper credit.
Here are some options!
Tuition Payments & Action for Children
It's essential that payments are made as scheduled so that the school can meet its obligations.
Please contact me if you have concerns.
Family Handbook - Addendums have been added
School & Office Hours
Arrival for breakfast 7:15 AM - 7:35 AM
Classes Begin: 7:45 AM (Children not in their seats at 7:45 are marked tardy)
School Ends at 2:45 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. 2:00 PM on Wednesdays
Extended Day: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM - to reach extended day, call the school and enter 101 at the recording. The late pickup fee is $ 3 per minute per child. Please don't be late.
Office Hours - Every Day - 6:30 - 3:30 and by appointment
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES!
- January 27th - 31st -Double Good Popcorn Fundraiser - proceeds go to our Playground fund
- January 30 - February 2nd - Catholic Schools Week!
- January 30th - Cardinal Cupich visits to bless our new chapel.
- January 31 - Family Art/STEM Night 5-7 pm - SAVE THIS DATE!!!
- February 1st - 8 AM Pizza form Due
- February 6th - 10:15 AM - Whole School Assembly - Amazing Africa Performance
- February 9th - Home Run Inn Pizza Day
- February 10th - Spirit Day
- February 17th - No School, NO childcare - PD Day
- February 20th - No School - Presidents' Day
- February 23rd - Black History Celebration Program 10 AM
- February 24th - 8th Grade and Extended Dance to Archdiocesan African American Heritage Prayer Service at Holy Name Cathedral - 9 AM
- February 24th - Spirit Day for grades PK - 7 (those attending service must be in regular uniform)
- March 3rd - Parent -Teacher Conferences 8 AM - 5 PM. Remote learning day with onsite childcare available - registration form coming soon!