Mississauga Women's Shelter
What is spousal abuse?
Common signs you're in an abusive relationship
* Consistently watching what you say and do around your partner
* Feeling like you are 'walking on eggshells' in your relationship
* They try to control, threaten, humiliate or isolate you
* Feeling desperate, helpless or worthless
* Physical abuse (hitting, kicking, choking, punching, etc.)
* Sexual abuse (Forced into sexual favors)
What M.W.S provides that other shelters may not
- Free daytime daycare for children
- Activities children can attend nightly to give mothers time to deal with court matters or have free time (Example: Craft time, movie night, etc.)
- Extended meal time
- Field trips ( The zoo, fruit picking, camping, etc.)
Women in shelters do not necessarily have the money to go out often and tend to stay in the shelter all day, M.W.S allows the women to experience enjoyment as well as safety.