News From the Nest
Evansdale Weekly Newsletter, January 26th Edition
DCSD Make Up Days Set
DeKalb County School District (DCSD) will make up two of its three inclement weather days on Friday, February 16 and Friday, March 9. A survey is being presented by DCSD for options on making up the other two days. Click on this link to take the survey - https://dekalb.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1ZbW1lqZ7N1dNcN
“Protecting our instructional time is key to supporting student achievement. Making up lost time on those dates is prudent and the least disruptive of the options that were considered,” Superintendent/CEO R. Stephen Green. Potential make up day options could include a virtual learning day, the addition of a learning period to the regular school day, among others. DCSD also wants to remain flexible in case more inclement weather days are needed in the future. “Winter is not over yet. We may face this situation again if we are forced to close,” Green said. “We want to ensure students get their classroom learning time while maintaining our options.”
DCSD closed schools for four days this month due to inclement weather – January 8, as well as January 17-19. In considering its options to recover that lost instructional time, DCSD has committed to keep the current President’s Day, Spring Break, and last day of school as scheduled.
Parent Conferences to be Rescheduled
It's Time to Break in the New Track ... Spring Kilometer Kids Registration Starts Today!
Coach B and his crew are ready to guide our students through a semester-long marathon. If they reach 26.2 miles on our lower field, they win a medal and have a whole lot of fun along the way. Please consider joining us as a coach? Kids must be 7 years old to participate. Practices will be Wednesday, Feb 7 until Friday, April 27. Practices are held every Wednesday, from dismissal- 3:20 PM, and Friday, from 6:50AM- 7:30 AM. Enrollment numbers are based on available coaches.
Registration will begin today, January 26th at 3 PM and will be ONLINE ONLY. The first 100 runners to register starting at 3 PM on 1/26 will be eligible to participate in the Spring 2018 Kilometer Kids season. Register at https://register.chronotrack.com/r/36450 Online registration is available in multiple languages.
1. You must have an email address to register.
2. Register under “School/Team/Community” and Select Evansdale Elementary
3. Register using your CHILD’s name and date of birth; T-shirts some in unisex or YOUTH 4. Be sure to select SUBMIT. You will get a confirmation email if your registration is complete
A Kilometer Kids information flyer* is going home in your student's couriers tomorrow.
*Please note - In the flyer, it states "If you do not have access to a computer to register, please come into the school’s computer lab to register". There is neither a computer lab nor other means for registration at Evansdale.
GEORGIA SCHOOL CLIMATE SURVEY
Georgia Parent Climate Survey:
Last Chance to Pre-Order Tickets for 2018 Father + Daughter Dance
Calling all dads ...please make plans to attend The 2018 Evansdale Elementary Father+Daughter Dance, Saturday, February 10th. A formal invite will be sent home in your daughter's courier tomorrow. Ticket prices are $18 per family, no matter how many girls a dad brings. In addition, EvansDads have made arrangements with a local florist for dads to present their girls with a rose and baby’s breath and to wear a boutonniere themselves, if they wish. Flower prices are the florist’s list prices for the Valentine’s week. The flowers will be given out at the dance. Deadline for turning in ticket, flower/boutonniere requests and payment is Monday, January 29th. Tickets will be sent home the week of February 5th. The location of the dance is in the cafeteria at Evansdale Elementary School from 2 p.m. till 4 p.m.
Please let us know if you would like to volunteer. Many dads will be 'retiring' this year with the graduation of their daughters and we would like to keep the tradition going. Teachers and Administration are invited to join us as well!
Scott Foerst: firstname.lastname@example.org
5th Grade Parents - It's Time for Yearbook Dedications ...Submission Deadline is Jan. 31st
it's almost time to celebrate our 5th-grade Eagles as they get ready to leave the Evansdale nest. Let's send them off with personalized farewell dedications in their last Evansdale yearbook.
Here’s how …
- Write a special congratulatory message to your Eagle (50 words or less)
- Collect two (2) of your favorite, GOOD QUALITY pictures of them
- Send your dedication to us using Option A or B:
IMPORTANT! The deadline to submit your dedication is January 31st.
If we don’t receive your dedication by Jan. 31st, your student won’t be featured in the yearbook’s 5th grade farewell section. Trust us, you want to do this! If you have questions or need help, contact Christofer Peterson at email@example.com or (404) 441-8416 (call or text).
Henderson Middle School Tour & Orientation Dates for Rising 6th Grade Parents
Parent Tour Dates: These tours will take place at 9:30 am for each session on the
following dates; February 2nd and February 9th.
Parent Orientation Meeting: This informational meeting will be held at Henderson Middle at 6:30 p.m. on February 8th.
Evansdale Student Tour: This tour is ONLY FOR 5th grade students. Parents can not attend. Our students will take a trip to Henderson Middle on February 22nd for an orientation and tour of the school.
DCSD Announces 2018-19 & 2019-2020 Calendars
The DeKalb Board of Education approved the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 calendars on January 13, 2018. The 2018-2020 school calendars contain the following features:
- 180 days of instruction – 90 instructional days in first semester and 90 instructional days in second semester
- First day of school for students – Monday during the second week of August
- 190 teacher-contract days including one evening workday comprised of four conference nights during the year as scheduled by each local school (Each conference night is two hours.)
- 5 teacher workdays before the first day of school
- Holidays – Labor Day, Columbus Day, Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. Day, and President’s Day
- October Fall break
- Thanksgiving Break – one full week
- One day in January for post planning/pre-planning
- February Winter Break
- Five inclement weather days designated each semester
- Spring Break –one full week in April
- Last day of school for students – fourth week in May
- Post planning second semester – fourth week in May
Click Here for 2018-2019 Calendar: http://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2018-2019-Calendar-Approved-1.13.18.pdf
Click Here for 2019-2020 Calendar: http://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2019-2020-Calendar-Approved-1.13.18.pdf
PreK Lottery - March 20, 2018. Details Coming Soon!
DCSD 2018-2019 School Choice FAQS
- Open Enrollment: 9:00 a.m., January 8, 2018 – 4:00 p.m. February 9, 2018
- School Choice Website at http://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/school-choice
- ONLINE Application at http://www.yourchoicedekalb.org
- Employee Student Transfer application at http://www.yourchoicedekalb.org
- Parent Support Center is open (BY APPOINTMENT ONLY) during Open Enrollment
- Call-In support is available from 1/8/18 - 4/16/18 at 678-676-0050
- Applications submitted with all required paperwork during the open enrollment window are ON TIME.
- All applications are required to be submitted online ONLY.
Evansdale's 2018-2019 Final School Choice Tour Date is January 30th at 9:30 a.m.
No Reservations Required. Please arrive 5-10 minutes prior to actual tour.
First Grade Fun Filled Field Trip to the High Museum of Atlanta
LAKESIDE CLUSTER SUMMIT MEETING--RESCHEDULED
EMORY LAVISTA PARENT COUNCIL MEETING
Save the Date(s)
01/26 Accelerated Reader 55% Cut-Off
01/26 Class Pictures
01/30 School Choice Tour, 9:30 a.m.
01/31 Parent Teacher Conferences
02/02 Crepe Day
02/06 School Council, 5 p.m.
02/06 PTA Board Meeting, 6:30 p.m.
02/08 Title 1 Math Night, 6 p.m.
02/09 AR 55% Prize Day
02/10 Honor Chorus
02/10 Father Daughter Dance, 2 p.m.
02/16 Regular School Day (Inclement Weather Make-Up Day #1)
02/19 Presidents' Day, No School
02/22 Kindergarten Round Up, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
02/27 Black History Program, 6 p.m.
02/28 AR 65% Cut Off