The Comstock Chronicle
Together is better, so let's stay connected!
Next Week at JKC
Monday, September 28
- Happy Monday!
Tuesday, September 29
- Bus Evacuation Drill- schedule forthcoming
- CIT Meeting #1- 3:20 in Mrs. Hensley's classroom
- Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night
Wednesday, September 30
- 11:15- 12:00- 5th Grade Math Learning Walk- Griffin
- Staff Meeting 3:15 in the library- Mrs. Youtt (Substance Abuse) Mrs. Pavolonis (ARD Training)
- 5th Grade Camp Meeting in the cafeteria 6:00- 7:00 pm
Thursday, October 1
- Progress Reports go home today
- Fall picts- schedule has already been sent out
- Name and Need meetings 1st, K, 5th
Friday, October 2
- Class Meetings
- Name and Need for 4th, 2nd, 3rd
Save the Date!
10/6- 10/8- CoGat Testing for 5th grade
10/7- Staff Meeting
10/7- McTown Klownz assembly for K-2 8:00 am in the cafeteria
10/8- PTA Teacher Luncheon
10/12- Parent Conference Day
10/14- Boosterthon Kick-off Pep Rally
10/14- Staff Meeting- Boosterthon Teacher Meeting
10/21- Staff Meeting
10/28- Staff Meeting
11/2- Dr. Recess Presentation K-5
11/3- 11/5- ITBS Testing- Second Grade
11/11- 11/13- 5th Grade to Pine Cove
11/9- Staff Meeting
11/11- No Staff Meeting
11/17- CIT Meeting #2
11/23-11/27- Thanksgiving Break
12/3- Progress Reports go home
12/3- Brea out 8-10 for IC Meeting
12/4- Nana Puddin' PTA Program K-5 1:50 pm
12/10- Name and Need Meetings- 1st, K, 5th
12/11- Name and Need Meetings- 4th, 2nd, 3rd
12/18- Class Holiday Parties 1:45- 2:45
JKC's PLC at Work- Why Should We Commit to Learning For All?
- In 1970, only 28% of jobs required post-secondary education.
- By 2015, 67% of jobs will require post-secondary education.
- In 1970, 74% of the middle class was high school graduates and drop-outs.
Those who have not learned how to learn will be left behind.
- High school graduates and dropouts will find themselves largely left behind in the American economy.
- Post-secondary education and training is no longer just the preferred pathway to the middle and upper class- it is the ONLY pathway.
- In the 20th century, illiterates were those who could not read.
- In the 21st century, illiterates are those who have not learned how to learn or have not continued their learning beyond the K-12 system.
Our current system isn't working.
- 30% of students who enter high school will drop out.
- Potential drop outs can be predicted as early as first grade, and identified with accuracy by third grade.
- More than 1/3 of students entering college require remedial courses.
- 34% of students who enter college drop out within the first year.
- 36% who enter a four-year public college earn a bachelor's degree within 5 years.
- Only 29% of those who pursue a two-year degree earn it within three years.
(Carnevale, Smith, &Strohl, 2010) From PLC at Work Institute's Handbook
- Caterina Fake, Co- Founder of Flickr