Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - November 20, 2020
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from North Administrators
Kudos and Celebrations
Tips for Students & Parents
Schedule for November & December
Mark Your Calendar
BVN Assistance for Families
Junior Class T-shirt
Freshmen Class T-shirt
Yearbook Order Info
Mustang Medical Messages
Parent Booster Club Holiday Shopping Spiritwear
A Letter from North Administrators
Dear Blue Valley North Community,
We would like to extend a thanks to our parents and Mustang Community for your support throughout this semester. We are grateful for a supportive Parent Booster Club that continues to look after us from afar. We are fortunate to have such engaged and talented parents who are supportive of their children, teachers and school.
As announced last week, high school students will return to distance learning from November 30 – December 22. We will provide building-specific information to students and parents before Thanksgiving. Drive-thru meal pick-up service for students in distance learning and VirtualED is available on Mondays (not Nov. 30) and Wednesdays at four locations across the district, including Blue Valley North. All meals are free through the end of semester or until funds run out. More information is available on the Drive-Thru Meal Pick-Up web page.
This has been a year like no other for staff, students and families alike. Each of us has been called upon to adapt as the situation surrounding COVID-19 has evolved. Remember to reach out to your Blue Valley neighbors and friends to see how they are doing. It is important to remain vigilant with wearing masks, physical distancing and avoiding large groups. We believe schools are essential and we want our high school students in school but the reality is that cannot happen until our community transmission rates are lower.
There will not be a North Notes on November 27 due to the Thanksgiving Holiday. Enjoy the time-off during the break with your children. And always remember that we are thankful for each of you and your families.
Kudos and Celebrations
Girls' Valleyball Team
The Volleyball team had another successful season. The Mustangs won their first match at sub-state vs. Blue Valley, but fell in the finals to the eventual state champs, BV West. Congratulations to the following players for earning the following accolades...
First Team All-EKL, Jasmine Dulan and Carley Spachman
Second Team All-EKL, Lauren McClure
HM All-EKL, Janelle Green, McKenna Simons
Honorable Mention All-State, Jasmine Dulan
MOKAN All-Star Match, Carley Spachman
Evelyn Gates Award Nominee, Carley Spachman
A final congratulations to Kayte DeLong (Southern Arkansas University) and Lauren McClure (McNeese State) on their college signings to play next season.
Tips for Students and Parents
Student leaving early for an appointment? (important)
Write a note and send it with your student. Since we are not running passes to students, they can show it to their teacher when it's time for them to leave class. Include your cell phone number, print your full name and sign the note. Remind your student to scan the QR code with their phone and enter their information so the attendance office can accurately track students leaving for appointments.
Report Student Absences via ParentVue
Did you know you can report your student's absence in ParentVue? This is an easy, efficient way! Once you sign into ParentVue, you will see your student's name and a blue button titled "Report Absence." It takes you to a screen where you can select the start date and end date and the reason code. There is also a box titled "Note" for additional information. Don't forget to hit the "Save" button. If you have questions, please call Rita Mouber, BVN Attendance Manager, 913-239-3001, or call the BVN main number, 913-239-3000.
Students! Check Your Student Email Daily
Students, it is important that you get in the habit of checking your school email frequently. We recommend checking it three times a day (morning, lunch, and the end of day). Thank you!
News from the BVN Library
The library website is now accessible from all Canvas pages. In the navigation list on the left side you should see Library. Or: Click here to visit the BVN Library website . From the library website, students and staff can now chat with the librarians during school hours. Look in the upper right corner. No question is too big or small!
Class Calendars for November and December 2020
In November, we continue in a hybrid schedule. However, after Thanksgiving, starting on Monday, November 30 through December 22, all students will be distance learning at home. VirtualED students will continue with their current schedule and see no change. Both calendars are below.
Please note these reminders through November 24:
- On odd days, students will be let in the building at 7:30 a.m.
- On even days, students will be let in the building at 8:15 a.m.
- Bus riders will be directed to the gym where they will be supervised and socially distanced until going to class.
- Students will need to leave the building immediately after school.
- Attendance needs a minimum of two hours notice to get your student out of class for an appointment. You will be unable to pull up to the school, call the main office and ask for your student to be released. Email AttendanceBVN@bluevalleyk12.org.
- Remind your student to scan the QR code, and enter the appropriate information at the attendance window when leaving or coming in for appointments.
- No visitors will be allowed in the building including parents or vendors. This is for the protection of our students and staff.
- Parents will be unable to drop-off forgotten items including laptops, sports equipment, lunch (restaurant food is not allowed in BVN), etc. Please work with your student the night before school to assure they have everything they need for their school day at BVN.
Thank you for teaming with BVN to keep your students safe!
Mark Your Calendar
Nov. 25-27 - Thanksgiving Break
Nov. 30-Dec. 22 - All students Distance Learning from home
Dec. 23-Jan. 1 - Winter Break
Jan. 4 - School Resumes
Jan. 13-15 - Final Exams (schedule TBD)
Jan. 15 - End of 1st Semester
Jan. 18 - No School/Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Click here for the revised 2020-21 Blue Valley School District Calendar.
Counseling, Academics & Testing
- Class Drop Deadline - Nov 24th at 2:50 p.m. - Click here for drop form
- Senior College Application Information
- Junior College Planning
- AP Test Information and Deadlines
- COVID Anxiety Support
- New middle school WL credit information
- Virtual College Visits on Naviance
- Virtual Counselor Appointments
Questions? Contact Theresa Gonzalez @ (913)239-3016 or firstname.lastname@example.org
BVN Assistance for Families
Lisa Summers is the BVN Social Worker. It has been a difficult several months, both financially & emotionally, for families and Ms. Summers is here to help. BVN has a limited amount of funds to assist families. Programs that BVN offers include school supplies, Snack Program (Snacks will be distributed to students on a weekly basis), Give the Basics Program: Shampoo, Conditioner, lotion, deodorant, toothbrush, and toothpaste, etc. Please contact Ms. Summers at (913)239-3116 or email email@example.com or BVNCommunityCares@gmail.com with your needs.
Senior Info for Class of 2021
We have a new Canvas page for all Senior information!
Check here regularly through the year:
Click here for: SENIOR INFO
This canvas page currently has links to:
- Order a senior tile from the PBC--deadline is Jan. 31
- An info video from Balfour about how to order your cap & gown and announcements
- A link to let us know how you want your senior's name printed on the diploma, along with authorizing the release of your student's transcript
We will update this Canvas page as new info becomes available. You no longer have to wait for Friday to get updates from this parent newsletter--you can check the Canvas page any time.
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ firstname.lastname@example.org .
Junior Class of 2022 T-shirt ~ deadline is November 20
Freshmen Class of 2024 T-shirt ~ deadline is Dec. 11 (new)
The Stampede, BVN's Student-led School Store (new)
High school in-person/VirtualED course fee payment for the 2020-21 school year is open and online now. Your ParentVUE login and password are required to pay course fees.
Course fees are assigned based on your student’s enrollment.
Course fees are assigned for the first semester only.
Questions regarding fee payment should be directed to our BVN Bookkeeper, Linda Kaphingst, email: email@example.com .
GSA meets virtually every Wednesday after school from 2:50 - 3:15 p.m. Please contact Ms. Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join the meeting.
KAY-Mustang Community Service Club
Join KAY- Mustang Community Service Club! We have an exciting fall community service project you can do from home. We are creating BVN Storytime, a read aloud library for K-2 students. We also have a couple of other service possibilities. Click this link to join the club. Click this link , then “enroll in Course” to see the Club’s Canvas page where club news and information is posted. Questions? Contact Club president Tanu @ email@example.com
Student Technology Help
On the Canvas Course card titled BVN Student Hub 2020-2021 there is student support information. After looking at the information in the BVN Student Hub, if you are struggling with technology, there is help.
- If your computer is broken please submit a BVCARE ticket and someone from I.T. will reach out to you. A link to BVCARE can be found on the BVN Student Hub or at www.bluevalleyk12.org / I would like to… / BVCARE- Technology help
- If you are having problems with a specific assignment or course in Canvas, always reach out to your teacher first.
- If you have questions about instructional tools (Canvas, Google Drive, Zoom…) or something is not working the way it should, there is a daily Student Help Zoom from 12:30-1:15pm. To access this Zoom, open Canvas / Click on the BVN Student Hub 2020-2021 Course Card / Click on Zoom / Join anytime between 12:30-1:15pm.
USDA extends free meals for students through 2020
As a result of extended USDA funding opportunities, all students enrolled in Blue Valley will be able to eat for FREE as of Sept. 9, 2020, regardless of eligibility status, until further notice. This includes complete breakfast and lunch meals for students who are dining in-person/hybrid at the elementary level, middle and high school students currently in the Distance Learning model, and all students enrolled in the all-virtual model, VirtualED. Please help out the Food and Nutrition Department and consider eating a complete breakfast and lunch meal at school for free. A la carte items will be charged at the set price and are not free.
Purchase Student's Yearbook in ParentVue ~ deadline 12/22
Mustang Medical Messages
COVID Communication (new)
The safety of Blue Valley North students and staff continues to be a top priority. In an effort to keep our school community informed when we have a positive case, families can expect the following:
- Families will be contacted directly if through the contact tracing process conducted by the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) and the district's health professionals' team:
1. your child was identified as a low-risk exposure of a student or staff member
who tested positive for COVID-19.
2. your child was identified as a high-risk exposure/close contact of a student
or staff member who tested positive for COVID-19.
- If your child’s proximity to or nature of the interaction with the positive individual did not indicate a low or high-risk exposure, then you will not be contacted.
NOTE: Positive cases by school are reflected on the BV COVID Dashboard. The dashboard is updated every Friday with information from the prior week (Wednesday to Wednesday).
Protect yourself from COVID-19
Wash or sanitize your hands regularly, Avoid touching your face and mask, maintain 6 feet distance from others when possible, wear a CDC recommended mask in public settings. Cover your cough with your elbow, enjoy the great outdoors, keep social contacts limited, if you're sick, stay home and consider getting a test.
Planning any travel for the Holidays?
Consider looking over Kansas Travel Exposure Related Isolation & Quarantine Guidelines:
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to e-mail Amanda Collichio, BVN Nurse, at firstname.lastname@example.org. or call at 913-239-3013.
New Auxiliary Gym Construction: November through July
Durham Bus Riders
Durham has decided to not use the Hybrid stop times and instead only use the All in School stop times regardless of what learning mode the District is in. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492.
Note that it is best to call outside of route times, between 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or email email@example.com.
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org . Thank you!