Black Bear Bits
November 18, 2022
11/19: Garden Work Party 9:00 - 11:00 a.m.
11/21: Family Partnership Day 3:30 - 7:30 p.m.
11/22: No School - Family Partnership Day 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
11/23: No School - Family Partnership Day
11/24-25: No School - Thanksgiving Break
12/1: Picture Retake Day
12/8: 3rd Grade Music Performance 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
12/9: Winter Holiday Family Night 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
12/19-1/2: Winter Break
In this Edition
- Message from the Principal
- Family Partnership Days
- Quarter 1 Feedback Forms
- Updated Bus Routes
- Garden Work Party
- Picture Retake Day
- 3rd Grade Musical Performance
- Winter Holiday
- Season of Giving
- Notes from the Office
- Photo Gallery: Playground Back in Use!
- Photo Gallery: PAX at Tualatin
- PAX Parenting Class
- Memory Book Submissions
- Flu and Covid Information
- Volunteering at Tualatin Elementary
- Important Links
Message from the Principal
Black Bear Families,
We’ve had a great week here at Tualatin Elementary! November is a busy month for school with two holidays to celebrate, and it’s nice to have our kids here for a full week.
First, I have some both exciting and sad news for our Black Bear community. Our head secretary, Stacy Snyder, has been selected to be the new head secretary at Art Rutkin Elementary, starting after the Winter Break in January.
Words cannot convey the appreciation and gratitude we have for Stacy to Tualatin Elementary and its community. Stacy has been here for 27 years, first as a parent and then working as one of our classified subs. When a position opened up in our office in 2001, Stacy was hired as a third secretary, eventually working her way up to Head Secretary, a position she’s held for the past fifteen years.
Through the years, Stacy has provided a kind and student-centered service to our Tualatin families. She is an exemplary professional, and works with heart to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere for everyone. For the past four months, Stacy has been an invaluable asset to me as I began my principalship here; a mentor, a guide, a friend.
It goes without saying that we will miss Stacy tremendously, and are also so excited that she will be able to share her expertise in creating a positive and productive front office for our newest elementary school. Good luck on your new adventure Stacy!
Next week, we will be hosting our Family Partnership Meetings. This is a critical time devoted to connecting families and our staff with a focus on your student’s progress to date. Thank you in advance for taking time for this important priority during this busy time of year. Please see below for some tips on making this time beneficial for all.
I’m sure you’ve seen the flyers for our “Season of Giving” drive at our school. We are inviting community members to purchase gift cards at Fred Meyer or Winco in the amounts of $10, $15, or $20 dollars. All donations will go directly to support our families in need. Please drop off gift cards in the office, and thank you for your support!
Finally, we are looking for someone to join our incredible staff as a Learning Specialist Assistant. This position works closely with our students, supporting them throughout the day to be successful. If you think you’d be interested in our position, please consider applying at this link.
Thank you, and I hope you all have a wonderful week.
Working with you for our kids,
Family Partnership Days (conferences)
Parent involvement is critical for your child’s success, learning, attitudes about school and aspirations. Parents, students and teachers must all work together to make an unbeatable team of support for every child. Conferences serve as an important time to continue building strong home-school connections. We look forward to seeing you all during Family Partnership Days.
Some suggestions that may help for a successful conference:
Before the Conference
- Write down any questions you want to discuss.
- Ask your child how they feel about school and if there are any concerns or questions you should discuss with the teacher.
- Consider sharing an important event that may affect your child’s performance. Be sure to let the teacher know important life changes at home as necessary.
On Conference Day
- Arrive on time and stay only for the amount of time scheduled for your appointment. If important questions have not been discussed, ask for a future appointment or phone call.
- Make notes about the discussion during the conference.
- Ask questions about the information you get from the teacher. What does it mean?
- Introduce yourself to the music and P.E. teachers, our counselor, TAG teacher and the principal. There are also many support staff that would like to get a chance to say hello. It’s an excellent time to learn about the programs planned for this year and your child’s progress.
Fall Academic Feedback Forms
Last week your student's teacher completed their Fall Feedback Forms and have sent the pdf securely through Canvas to the student and their family. These reports take the place of quarter 1 report cards. Students & families will be able to access their QT1 Academic Feedback form through either parents email as a link to the document or on the STUDENT'S Canvas InBox.
Access to Quarter 1 Academic Feedback Form on Canvas Inbox
- Open Canvas (student app on your student's iPad)
- Tap InBox
- Look for message from your teacher with subject "Academic Feedback Form"
- Tap to open attached form.
If you have problems accessing the document, please reach out to your student's teacher.
Garden Work Party
Saturday, Nov. 19th, 9-11am
Tualatin Elementary School
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Picture Retake Day - Volunteers needed
Two volunteers are needed from 8:00-12:30. If you are available, please contact Amanda at 503-431-4800 or email@example.com.
3rd grade musical
Winter Holiday Family Night
Friday, Dec. 9th, 6-8pm
Tualatin Elementary School
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Winter Holiday Family Night
You're invited to the happiest night of the year. Join us on FRIDAY, DECEMBER 9th, from
6:00 – 8:00 P.M. for our Family Winter Holiday Activity.
ENJOY: Gingerbread House Decorating, Photo-Op, Garden Craft, and Snacks.
WE PROVIDE: One graham-cracker gingerbread house per child and Frosting “cement”
BRING: A Tray (typically sturdy cardboard covered in foil) Candy for decorating
DONATIONS: Candy: To teachers by DEC 7 Baked Goods: To school on DEC 9
Winter Holiday Family Event - CANDY NEEDED
Winter Holiday Family Event - Baked Goods Needed
We are looking for store-bought baked holiday treats (such as cookies, cupcakes, brownies, muffins--anything not requiring cutlery to eat) for our Winter Holiday Family Night. TTSD policy requires store-bought donations only. For safety, due to allergies, we ask for only nut-free goodies. These baked goods will be provided to all at the event. Please drop off donations at the school office during the day on December 9th. After the school day, you can bring them directly to the cafeteria.
Season of Giving Donations
Would you like to help families in need at Tualatin Elementary? We invite you to partner with us in our Season of Giving.
Purchase gift cards at Fred Meyer or Winco in $10, $15, or $20 increments. Please write the amount on each gift card and drop them off in the office.
All cards collected will be distributed to our own families. We are accepting cards through the month of November! As always, your donations are tax-deductible. (tax ID: 93-0572833)
Notes from the office
- Be sure to check Lost and Found when you are at the school for Family Partnership Days. We have many warm jackets eagerly waiting to be found!
- Our attendance line is 503-431-4770. Please remember to call the attendance line before 8:30 if your child is going to be absent or tardy. (A student is marked tardy if they arrive after 8:00.) If your student is out sick, please inform us of any symptoms your child is experiencing so we can share any exclusion information with you.
- Please take the time to subscribe to Flash Alert, the system that is used to send text messages when there is a school closure or delay. This is especially important to do before Winter weather sets in!
Playground back in use!
PAX at Tualatin Elementary
The Tualatin High School Band performed for us at our PAX assembly!
Den Leaders Lend a Hand
Some of our Den Leaders spent their day off helping staff with special projects.
2nd Grade Lunch
Our second graders show how to be PAX leaders at lunch
Memory Book Submissions
The memory book is accepting photos for the following activities. Please help make this year's memory book a success!
We are now accepting the following photos:
Fun Run - deadline is November 21st
Spirit Week/Days (Hat Day, PJ Day, etc)
Classroom Field Trips
Are you volunteering?...document your time in the school and send us your pictures.
Please send your photo submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org AND label with the following information: student's grade, teacher's name, student's first and last name and the name of the activity, i.e. 2nd grade, Fossati, John Smith, First Day of School.
Have other memory book questions, please reach out to Ashley Young at email@example.com. Sales won't begin until after the New Year.
Flu and Covid Season is here!
With colder weather, comes more opportunity to spread cold, flu, and Covid-19 germs. We are seeing all three at Tualatin Elementary and ask you to do your part by following these recommendations:
- Please monitor carefully for the following primary COVID and Flu symptoms, and keep your student home if they exhibit any of the following:
Temperature of 100.4 or higher
Shortness of breath
New loss of taste or smell
Muscle or body aches
Nasal congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
- Please contact the school for assistance with the following:
Information on testing – We have at-home tests available at the school
If you test positive for COVID-19
If you have questions regarding symptoms and exclusions
- Wash hands often, especially after coming in contact with body fluids. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer
- Cover coughs and sneezes
Where Can I Get a Flu Shot?
The Washington County website has a list of locations offering the Flu Shot and other Vaccinations.
Where Can I Get a Covid Vaccine or Booster?
Volunteering at Tualatin Elementary
We love our volunteers and are excited to welcome you back into the building this year! To volunteer at Tualatin, please follow the steps below. When your application is completed, you'll receive an email from the front office and you'll be able to schedule volunteer time at the school.
All volunteers must complete the checklist below to volunteer
- Complete a background check at: www.helpcounter.net/ttsd. (This needs to be renewed every three years.)
- Be vaccinated for COVID-19. Please provide vaccine documentation using the following link-TTSD Volunteer Vaccination Documentation or send a copy/photo of your card to the school office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- OR If you have a vaccination exception, please fill out the form that applies to you- Religious or Medical and submit to the following link- TTSD Volunteer Exception Documentation
When the above has been completed, contact me (email@example.com or 503-431-4800) and I will send you links to the training materials.
Masks will be optional in the building for volunteers that are vaccinated. We ask that if you are sick or have any symptoms, that you postpone your volunteering until you are well.
Volunteers with a vaccine exception on file will be required to:
Wear a mask while on TTSD property OR;
Be given a rapid test at the time and location of their volunteer assignment.
Please contact Amanda Thorderson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-431-4800) with any questions.