JMS Weekly Update
September 5, 2021
Dear JMS Families,
This week's Update contains information about the following:
We are excited to see you at Open House this week. Please be sure to read our Open House information so that we can host this event safely for our students, staff and you!
As we head in to week three, we ask that you please continue to let our nurse, Mrs. Suess, know if anyone in your family is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. We want to keep the children here and we want to keep them safe. This information is critical to the safety of the students and staff at JMS.
Dr. Sarah Shaw, Principal
Ms. Katelyn Deet, Assistant Principal
Tuesday - Day 1
Wednesday - Day 2
Thursday - Day 3
Friday - Day 4
Monday (9/13) - Day 5
We will be hosting an In-Person Open House on Thursday, September 9, 2021 from 6:30-8:30PM. You can find more detailed information by clicking the link above.
It is important to the health and safety of our students, staff and community that you follow our health and safety plan during this event.
- Masks are required while inside the building.
- Masks are expected to be worn property (covering your mouth and nose).
- Please physically distance yourself to the greatest extent possible.
We strongly encourage that one family member per child attend Open House, unless you have extenuating family circumstances that require more than one family member per child to attend. Additionally, we are asking that students and younger children not attend Open House 2021.
We only have enough seats in the classrooms for as many students as we have in each period. For this reason, it is important that you follow your child's schedule.
JMS Yearbooks are on sale now through January 14, 2022. 8th Grade Advertisements are also for sale from now until January 14 for $35.
- Now- Sunday, October 31 at 11:59 PM: $45
- Monday, November 1 at 12:00 AM- Tuesday, November 30 at 11:59 PM: $50
- Wednesday, December 1 at 12:00 AM- Friday, December 31 at 11:59 PM: $55
- Saturday, January 1 at 12:00 AM- Friday, January 14 at 11:59 PM: $60
Limited extras will be sold on the last day of school for $60
Order your yearbook and take out an 8th grade ad TODAY! yearbookforever.com
8:25 am, Mt. Lebanon Fire Department
Join with elected officials, representatives of first responders and others who wish to honor the lives lost and heroism shown on September 11, 2001.
Meet at the Fire Department by 8:25 am for a ceremony followed by a silent walk through Mt. Lebanon Cemetery to memorialize those lives lost.
Quarantining as a result of COVID-19 protocols is the only reason that students are able to attend class remotely. Quarantining as a result of COVID-19 protocols must be approved through the Nurse's Office.
If your child has been identified as a close contact, is exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, and/or has tested positive for COVID-19, please contact Nurse Suess.
If your child is approved to attend class remotely, Nurse Suess will contact your child's teachers. Students who have been approved to attend class remotely will follow their normal bell schedule and will log into their classes using the meeting links on their Clever page.
Report Cases of COVID-19
If you or someone in your family has been exposed to COVID-19, has COVID-19 symptoms, or has been exposed to someone with COVID-19, please contact Nurse Suess. We want to keep the children and our staff safe and in school. Your accurate and honest reporting is appreciated.
Close Contacts & Quarantine
Unvaccinated employees and children should not come to school and are to notify school officials if they become sick with COVID-19 symptoms, are awaiting a COVID-19 test result, test positive for COVID-19, or are exposed to someone with COVID-19 symptoms or to someone with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19.
An employee or student who is a close contact of a person who is diagnosed with or tests positive for COVID-19, as defined by the Department or local health department in accordance with CDC guidance, will be evaluated in accordance with the COVID-19 Quarantine Guidance Flowchart. . Close Contacts are individuals who have been exposed (within 6 feet distance for at least 15 consecutive minutes) to someone who is a case during the infectious period, with or without a mask.
As we prepare to start the 2021-2022 school year, we are asking families who need to borrow student technology to please complete the form linked below:
Be sure to list every student for whom you need to borrow a device on this form. Once you have submitted your form, you will receive status emails including device pickup details from an @mtlsd.net email address. Please also be sure to whitelist @mtlsd.net email addresses with your email provider to ensure that you receive these communications from us.
Please direct any and all questions regarding loaned equipment to our support address: RemoteSupport@mtlsd.net
JMS PTA Information
The JMS PTA Membership Drive is now open! Parent membership in the PTA helps us meet volunteer needs and budgetary commitments which enrich programs for our JMS students and staff. Members receive access to a member directory which has a mobile app.
Go to My Account.
- Check that your updated student info is correct. Indicate your child's team.
- Indicate your preferences for inclusion in the directory. Add a second contact so that both receive directory access and all PTA correspondences. Student phone is optional.
- Purchase a parent membership for $20
- Consider a donation. Donated funds stay 100% with JMS programs without fees. We encourage this rather than purchasing a membership for both parents, unless both parents wish to vote in meetings or hold PTA office.
JOIN US! Together we can do a lot of good for JMS!
Water Bottle Filler
JMS PTA funded the purchase of a new water bottle filler that was installed in time for the start of the school year. We hope the students enjoy quicker water refills.
Orders are estimated to be delivered the week of Sept 13. The majority of orders will be delivered to students in their homerooms sometime that week. There are some backordered items. If you have a backordered item, you will receive an email from Shields Embroidery advising you of the backordered items. Upon receipt of orders, please check them and email firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any order issues.
Thank You Families
Thank you to all who contributed items to the Staff Welcome Back Breakfast. The staff was very appreciative.
A big thank you to our volunteers who helped make picture day run smoothly despite the weather!
SHOPPER & SCHOOL REWARD PROGRAMS
If you haven’t used AmazonSmile Before:
- Go to smile.amazon.com and sign in with your regular Amazon username and password.
- You will be prompted to choose a charity. You should enter "Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc” into the search box that appears. It will say "Pittsburgh, PA" as the location for the charity.
- Make sure whenever you check out, you always go to smile.amazon.com on your browser.
If you already use AmazonSmile:
- Go to smile.amazon.com and sign in with your username and password
- Make sure the charity you’ve selected is "Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc." This information is located under the search bar where it says “supporting”.
- If it isn’t, you can change it by clicking on the charity and selecting “change”
- This will bring you to a page where you can search for “Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc” and allow you to switch charities.
Make sure whenever you check out, you always go to smile.amazon.com to checkout.
If you shop on the Amazon app. Please activate Amazon Smile on your mobile app by opening the app and finding ’Settings’ in the main menu (☰). Tap on ‘AmazonSmile’ and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile on your phone.
Scanning Box Tops is an easy way to earn money for our school. See Box Tops for more information on how to scan Box Tops and to download the app. Receipts must be scanned within 14 days for the Box Tops to be scanned electronically.
Office Depot/Office Max
Office Depot/Office Max has a school rewards program. When shopping, remember to ask the cashier to tag Jefferson Middle School. For online orders, enter our school ID (Thomas Jefferson Middle School ID:70088453 Pittsburgh, PA) on the Thank You Confirmation page.
Resources For Families
The following resources provide information to help Mt. Lebanon School District families and staff navigate the complexities of COVID-19 and the impact the pandemic it is having on our daily lives. These resources will be updated as more information becomes available.
The MTLSD School Counselors in partnership with The Allegheny Children's Initiative Inc., have compiled a list of social services resources that may be helpful to you and your family. Please take a look and reach out to these organizations. They are here to help with any of the following:
- Mental Health
- General Assistance
Safe2Say Something is a youth violence prevention program run by the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. The program teaches youth and adults how to recognize warning signs and signals, especially within social media, from individuals who may be a threat to themselves or others and to “say something” BEFORE it is too late. With Safe2Say Something, it’s easy and confidential to report safety concerns to help prevent violence and tragedies.
Here’s how it works:
- Submit a report through the Safe2SaySomething system
- Crisis center reviews, assesses and processes all submissions
- Crisis center sends all submissions to school administration and/or law enforcement for intervention
- If needed, crisis center may contact tipster anonymously through the app
Jefferson Middle School
The Jefferson Middle School learning community has an exceptional reputation for its dedicated teachers, staff and parents working together to provide learning experiences for our children that include high expectations, a challenging curriculum and a shared commitment to provide the best education possible for each and every student.