Team Thomson News & Notes
#ThomsonRocks Week of: October 8, 2018
Important Information for You!
Data Days & IRIPs
I am so excited that we are able to reinstate official Data Days. I hoe that you find/continue to find this extended time focused on student needs with your PLC team as valuable as they have been in the past. While the agenda was sent out last week, please be sure to come prepared and bring the following:
Chromebook or iPad
Data to update Title 1 caseload list
Guided Reading schedules for Reader's Workshop Push-in
Running Records/DRA (if you have them)
Sight word data (if applicable)
Word Their Way Spelling Inventory
Other Literacy/Math assessments
Title I Push-in During Reader's Workshop
I have heard both positives and 'questions' about the push-in Reader's Workshop block. I am looking forward discussing with individual PLC groups how you are utilizing this time for intentional station work, intervention, and enrichment. Remember at least 30-40 minutes of this time should be used for small group instruction with the parapros and your guided reading time.
Last week I was contacted by a parent who had been on the playground after school hours with her daughter and found a pill. While the parent was very understanding in the fact that as a school we can not control who uses the playground after hours, this serves as a wonderful opportunity to review with students the procedures if they do find something on the playground. When students find something on the ground they should be taught to take it to the adult they are with (teacher or playground monitor) or if it is a trash wrapper they can help out with that as well, by throwing it away. Thanks for taking a minute to review this with your students.
Miscellaneous from Mr. Brown
Mr. Brown requested that we share the following information with staff members:
1. Guest teachers: teachers should not change report or dismissal times for their subs. K-4 Elementary building times are pre-set. AM is 8:15-11:55 and PM is 11:56-3:45. They are checking with EDUStaff to see if we can prevent teachers from changing the report or dismissal times because some teachers are adjusting their times and this is creating an issue where subs cannot work an AM & PM if they want to. The system will not allow them to accept another job if the times don't coincide. Please let me know if you have any questions about this.
2. Employee Performance Feedback: Forms should be completed to report unsatisfactory issues with guest teachers. If you need a form, please request one from Debbie. After I sign it, I forward the form to Mr. Brown. Guest teachers can be blocked from a class, building or the District. These forms can also be used to comment on exceptional subs. EDUStaff has a year-end recognition program for guest teachers.
3. Absences greater than 3 consecutive days: If a staff member is absent for more than 3 consecutive days your absences may fall under FMLA guidelines. We must follow-up with appropriate paperwork whether or not you qualify for FMLA or not, and it's time sensitive. You will need to be in contact with me if this occurs so that I can contact Sharon Hazard.
Cardinal Code Focus of the Week: Hallways
This is an area that it is beneficial to always review. It is important that students understand that Cardinal Code in the hallway applies when they are with their classroom teacher, playground monitor, specials teacher, or when they are alone. Some of the key points are:
- Walking quietly (hip and lip)
- Not leaving big gaps in the line
- Keeping your eyes forward
Thank you for intentionally revising the Cardinal Code focus of the week.
October 26th Professional Development Preview
Remember that all certified staff will have 3 hours of professional development on Friday October 26th. Unless there is opposition, I was thinking we could run our professional development from 7:30-10:30 a.m. While I understand this is before our normal contractual day, this is the near the start of our staff meetings and I thought staff would appreciate getting done a little earlier. Please let me know if you are concerned with this time frame.
Our focus for this professional development will be Instituting Practical Restorative Practices (based on a book study I am doing with other administrators) and Literacy Essentials/Balanced Literacy. Please watch for more information and the return of the Literacy Essentials focus next week.
Quotes Worth Reading
"Happiness depends on your mindset and attitude."
-Roy T. Bennett
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
"Once your mindset changes, everything on the outside will change along with it."
Teachers Need a Growth Mindset
Below is a link to a wonderful article on how as educators we can maintain a growth mindset. Whether it is a new instructional approach, looking at data, not wanting to 'stall' really in any area of life, this is a great article and worth reading.https://www.edutopia.org/article/teachers-need-growth-mindset-christina-gil?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
Celebrations & Announcements
Birthdays: No birthdays this week.
You may have noticed that the old piano is being painted. Isabella, a DHS art student, is painting it and once finished it will be installed on the playground for the students to play. Kim Laine brought this idea to me as we were trying to decide what to do with it. Isabella's theme for the piano is "Let your hands play for the world." She is hoping to have it finished over intersession.
Important Upcoming Dates:
Week of October 7th - PLC Week
Monday, October 8th-Data Day
Tuesday, October 9th - Kindergarten Science ACC Day; District School Improvement meeting, 4:15-5:15 p.m.
Wednesday, October 10th-Data Day
Thursday, October 11th - General Admin. Meeting (Natalie); Kindergarten Math ACC Day
Friday, October 12th- Leadership Team Meeting, 7:15-8:15 a.m.
Monday, October 15th - DK-Kindergarten Curriculum Meeting, 4:15-6:15 p.m.; PTO Meeting, 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, October 16th-Lockdown/ALICE Drill
Wednesday, October 17th- Staff Meeting, 7:35 a.m. (Agenda: Scheduling Follow-up, please bring your reflections and any updated schedules; Balanced Literacy Push-in); Word Study Learning Lab
Thursday, October 18th-Elementary Principals Meeting (Natalie); CMC Meeting, 4-7 p.m.
Friday, October 19th-GISD Elementary & Literacy Principal Meeting (Natalie)
Week of October 22nd-PLC Week
Monday, October 22nd-ACC Meeting, 4:15-6:15 p.m.
Wednesday, October 24th-Baffling Bill visit
Thursday, October 25th-Halloween Costume Parade, 10:30 a.m.; Classroom Parties in the afternoon
Friday, October 26th-No School for Students; 1/2 Day Teacher PD, 1/2 for Records (teachers may do records from home if they would like)