A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of October 15, 2018
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- Insurance Enrollment on Monday, October 15
- Blended Learning Committee Meeting on Monday, October 15 at 4:30 pm at the Admin conference room **ALL ARE WELCOME!!**
- Gr 3-5 Science DBA on Tuesday, October 16
- Word Wall Toolkit on Tuesday, October 16 at 3:45-5:00 at Admin Board Room
- STAFF WEAR SUPERHERO/COMMUNITY HERO OUTFITS on Tuesday, October 16
- Hero Night on Tuesday, October 16 at 5:30-7:30 pm
- Faculty Meeting on Wednesday, October 17
- WEAR PINK FOR BREAST CANCER on Wednesday, October 17
- Math PLCs on Thursday, October 18
- PK Community Helpers Parade on Friday, October 19 at 2:00 pm
- WISD TechFast Technology PD on Saturday, October 20 at 8:30-12:30 at UHS
Coming Up: Book Talk Day on October 26
Blended Learning Information
- Blended Learning District Committee Meeting on October 15 at 4:30-5:30 at Admin Building~ANY TEACHER can attend!!
- BLENDED LEARNING BOOK STUDY-You will need a copy of "Blended Learning in Action: A Practical Guide Toward Sustainable Change" by Catlin Tucker. If you need a copy, email Lisa Monthie by Oct 22nd, as copies are limited. This book study will be hosted in Google Classroom (ONLINE!). We will collaborate on discussion questions, use technology tools for reflection and applying information, and share resources and implementation ideas. Book study starts November 5.
Hero Night Agenda
- 5:30 - Doors Open
- 5:40 - Ribbon Cutting for Born Learning Trail
- 5:30 - 7:00 - Hands-on activities/stations, explore Born Learning Trail, grab a FREE HAMBURGER MEAL!
- 6:00 & 6:30 pm - Special storytelling event with FREE BOOK for every family (in gym)
- 7:00 - Music performance by 3rd-5th grade in cafeteria (all other stations/food close down)
From Your Captain
Don't forget to nominate students for GT. Forms found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jnMoqJ3VxSXZSJsXiJwvJd8cAed8gQ3l?usp=sharing
We are using part of our campus incentive money to purchase an Alta Vista FLEECE JACKET for every staff member! Stop by the office next week (DUE FRIDAY) to try on different versions and record your size with Ms. Bonnie. We will have ladies and men's styled jackets, so make sure you indicate to Ms. Bonnie your preference.
Please make sure your technology inventory is updated HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QR7YGXWWnDmmG5ExHQVLDN1kVhfVrH20f_ibD3W9vko/edit?usp=sharing
We will be using this information to make technology purchases, so if we don't have accurate information, you may miss out!
Staff Members of the Week!
JOBELIA FLORES is our staff member of the week! She always has a smile for staff and students, and she filled in as the substitute for Ms. Terrell's class this week without hesitation.
NEW Staff Attendance Incentives Starting Soon!
Weekly Perfect Attendance: Weekly drawing (1 teacher winner; 1 paraprofessional winner) to pick a fabulous prize from our Staff Treasure Chest!
Discuss the importance of keeping our cafeteria clean and how students can encourage each other. Ask students how they feel when the cafeteria and school looks dirty. Discuss school pride.
UIL Sponsors Needed!
Here are the events we need sponsors for:
- UIL Art (Gr 4-5) BRITT
- Chess (Gr 2)
- Creative Writing (Gr 2)
- Dictionary (Gr 5)
- Listening (Gr 5)
- Maps, Graphs, Charts (Gr 5)
- Music Memory (Gr 3-6)-BROUGHTON
- Number Sense (Gr 4-5)
- Oral Reading (Gr 4-5)
- Ready Writing (Gr 3-5)
- Social Studies (Gr 5)
- Spelling (Gr 3-5)
- Storytelling (Gr 2-3)
Book Talk Day
We also need teachers to volunteer for Book Talks! The first 4 teachers to create a Book Talk and email/text it to Mrs. Helton will receive a $50 credit to Lakeshore. After that, you can do a Book Talk each month to earn free books for your classroom.
TTESS & SLO
Anyone can award points for good behavior or other behaviors that you feel are deserving. The points form can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/UCXb9cX7tHqfGuCw2
We will be awarding points on a consistent basis for:
Six Weeks Perfect Attendance-1 point for every student with perfect attendance for reporting period
Weekly Perfect Attendance-10 points for every class with perfect attendance for week
Anchored in Excellence-1 point for each person that receives a note (up to 150 per House per six weeks)
Cafeteria Behavior: Rate classes weekly (1st-20; 2nd-15; 3rd-10; 4th-5)
Specials Behavior: Rate classes weekly (1st-20; 2nd-15; 3rd-10; 4th-5)
Staff Activities (Limit of 2 per semester)-Up to 50 points per activity
Academic Achievement-Decided by grade level
Character Traits-Awarded by Maynard depending on activity
Makerspace-10 points for using Makerspace cart each month
Social Media Postings-1 point per post (email Koenig # of posts each six weeks)
Special challenges-Designated by Logan/Helton
Here is an article with some great ideas & resources for using Google Slides in your classroom: https://shakeuplearning.com/blog/12-google-slides-resources-that-will-make-your-day/
We will be reading Alistair & Kips Great Adventure by J. Segal.