Southridge High School Newsletter
Students of the Month
The SHS Athletic Department has been named a winner of the 2017 Southwest Indiana Officials Association: HOSPITALITY AWARD!
This is the 11th year the Raiders have received this honor!
Congratulations to our athletes / coaches / and fans - we are proud of the way you represent the Ridge!!!!!
Juniors vs. Seniors Basketball Game
Parent Meeting/Open House
Pike Central Welding 1
Pike Central Precision Machine 1
Pike Central Criminal Justice
Computer Technology at VUJC
Health Science (HOSA) at Jasper
Radio and TV at Jasper
C.N.A at Jasper
Automotive Technology at Southride
Culinary Arts at NE Dubois
Mr. Schank's class disecting a pig's heart
Foreign Language Academic Bowl
Five students from the Spanish 3-4 classes competed in the Foreign Language Academic Bowl Competition at USI on Thursday, March 16th with 14 other high schools and tied for 5th place. The entire competition and the twenty questions were asked in the target language and were focused on areas of advanced grammar as well as the culture of the Andean region countries of Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia. In anticipation of this event, these five students dedicated their time to prepare in and out of the classroom by researching the Andean countries and reviewing their grammar concepts.
Unified track and field is an ISHAA sport combined with Special Olympics. Both general education and special education students participate in the practices and meets. It will be every Tuesday and Thursday 3:30-4:30. They will have three regular season track meets and then a sectional, regional, and state meet. You CAN be on the SHS track and field team, as well as the Unified team, but CANNOT be on both sectional rosters. The events held at a meet are the 100, 400,4x100 relay, long jump, and shot put.
Champions Together Convocation
www.parentfurther.com - Information from the Crisis Connection
We at the Crisis Connection are all about serving our community & have heard loud
and clear from adults that they are appreciative of any assistance/support in enriching
family life. We have began using & sharing a free online resource that is an exciting
tool to help strengthen relationships through shared activities –
Search Institute’s ParentFurther!
Through ParentFurther, mentoring adults can:
• Learn about It—See what research says about relationships, strengths, and challenges in families with children and youth.
• Check It—Families can use quizzes to assess how their family is doing in building relationships and tackling challenges.
• Talk about it—Parents can start meaningful conversations with their kids, building on
what they find in the quiz.
• Try it—Parents can engage in meaningful activities with their children to explore issues and bring them closer together.
• Track It—Families can use an online profile to keep track of the quizzes and the activities they have done so far.
• Take It Further—Families can create plans for how they want to keep moving forward toward goals, despite any setbacks.
LEARN EASY TIPS TO HELP CHILDREN WITH DEVELOPMENTAL ASSETS AT:
The Developmental Assets® are 40 research-based, positive experiences and qualities that influence young people’s development, helping them become caring, responsible, and productive adult.
FFA District Leadership Contest Results
- Ashley Sutton - Essay
- Camden Cooper - Talent
- Blake Lindauer - Goat Production Proficiency
- Justin Lammers - Diversified Ag Production Proficiency
3rd Place Winners
- Misty Merter, Trever Patberg - Multimedia Scrapbook
- Tristan Brown, Misty Merter, Trever Patberg - Exhibit
- Grace Sickbert, Owen Kinker, Josh Braunecker, Alec Deno - Quiz Bowl
4th Place Winners
- Grace and Owen Kinker - Plant and Soil Science Demo
- Tristan Brown and Masen Cooper - Ag Mechanics Demo
- Max Sermersheim - Traditional Scrapbook
- Max Sermersheim and Lilia Payne - Ag Business Demo
- Blake Lindauer - Extemporaneous Public Speaking
SHS BPA did an outstanding job at our State Conference.
We had 45 student representatives competing in over 70 competitions.
The following Students qualified for BPA National Leadership Conference in Orland
Christian Motteller 1st in 2 events
Nathan Bromm 1st
Owen Roy 1st
Justin Reed 4th
Paige Meyer 4th
Tucker Schank - 3rd
Logan Seger - 1st
Grant Maxey - 2nd
Isaac Englert - 4th
The following will be going to NLC:
Christian Motteler - 1st in 2 events for the second year
Nathan Bromm - 1st in Adv. Word
Justin Reed - 4 in Personal Finance
Owen Roy - 1st in Intermidate Word
Paige Meyer - 4th in SQL
FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)
Spine Crackers (Book Club)
Media Center NEWS
National Library Week
Buy One, Get One Free Book Fair
Need a book recommendation???
The Homework Hotline is ready to provide free help to students in math and science. Our tutors are trained Rose-Hulman students, available Sunday-Thursday, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. (EST) to take student calls (1-877-Ask-Rose), chats and emails.
Many resources are available at www.AskRose.org
World Book Online-
The Huntingburg Public Library's World Book subscription has recently become more user friendly for both students and teachers. As of last week, the subscription is now open to anyone with the universal user name/password and a library card number is NO LONGER required.
For access to World Book Online and the Huntingburg Public Library subscription, type www.worldbookonline.com in a browser or access from your preferred method. At home, type in the above and enter:
USER NAME: huntingburg