How does sleep affect you?

By: Alex Harris

Sleep Does Affect you!

Teenagers need about 9 1/4 hours of sleep each night to perform at the best to their ability. Some teens only need about 8 1/2 hours of sleep to perform well. Most teens do not get enough sleep and due to that they don't perform well. One study found that only 15% reported sleeping 8 1/2 hours on school nights. The other 85% said that they don't get that sleep they need. Teens have irregular sleeping patterns because students stay up late and do homework then wake up early to go to school. Then on the weekends they go to bad late and wake up late, this could result in a sleeping disorder. With less sleep on the weekdays students come to school tried and when they are tired they can't perform to a high standard. With not enough sleep that could lead to lower grades and lack of motivation, but may also increase odds of emotional and behavioral disturbances.

Sleeping affects you emotionally and intellectual because if you don't get enough sleep you might have get mad at your parents and teachers. If you get mad at a teacher that could end up in getting a demerit. That could then affect you in class because you are mad at getting a demerit, that you won't be able to focus on the topic at hand. When you can't focus at the topic at hand you don't understand the lesson and get frustrated and don't perform at a high standard.





Period-9