By Olivia and Alexandra
Different types of bullying.
This causes physical damage or pain to someone or something. This may include hitting, biting, punching, damaging property and injuring others.
Verbal bullying is done through words. This may include name calling and teasing.
Cyber bullying is done through the Internet and can be done through social media by anyone with an electronic device.
Hidden bullying is like backstabbing and creating rumors. It is not done to the person's face but is designed to embarrass them or damage their reputation. This includes lying, spreading rumors, making jokes about the victims and unkindly copying.
The effects of bullying on an adolescents physical, social and mental health.
Bullying physically can hurt you. You can end up with bruises and scars and it makes the victim feel weak. The aim of physical bullying is to make the victim feel useless. It leaves the victum feeling lost and worthless.
People who have been bullied socially can leave you feeling unstable and did you knoe they are at a higher risk of not fitting into schools? This can make teens feel embarrassed and alone.
Bullying mentally can lower your self esteem and make you become very self conscious especially as an adolescent.
The best way to deal with this is to talk to someone about it. Make sure it is someone you trust.
Strategies for coping with being bullied
- If you're being bullied you should talk about it with someone that is close to you. Whether that be your friend, parent, guardian or teacher.
- Avoid the person who is bullying you. Just walk away from the situation and know when enough is enough.
- You can use humor to make the situations less tense and to prevent a bully who is about to attack. You might make a joke like "Look, Johnny, lay off. I don't want you to be late for school."
- You could also tell the bully straight up to just stop and to leave you alone. After that just walk away always, this might be the best strategy for girls.
- Get a friend to help you out, they might be out on the playground. Some people find this is one of the most powerful strategies, especially for boys.
- In general you can find a few friendly children and build new relationships with them.
- You can also use the S.E.A.L strategy and think about what you need to do.
Health resources aimed at supporting victims of bullying Recommended website for student use
If you're being bullied this is a great website to use because it gives you a lot of information about being bullied and it also gives you information on how to overcome and strategies how to overcome being bullied.
Reach out is another really helpful and informative website. People that run these websites do not care about who you are they are really accepting towards the situation.
This is a government run website and it is a fantastic site because it caters for many scenarios.
This website is a great place to look for information on how to deal and cope with being bullied.
kids helpline has a bullying help line so that you can call any time of the day. It is a really safe and trustworthy website run by experts who understand what you are going through.
More information about kids helpline
It has a lot of different sheets full of different sort of scenarios to benefit all situations like suicide, drugs, self harm and weight issues.
It has a helpline so you can call them anytime about any situation you're in.
It is for all people and anyone who can access the internet.