Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 4/11
We're off to a fantastic start in fourth quarter! We will continue MCA testing today in Reading. Some students may also test on Tuesday. Students are working VERY hard & I'm extremely proud. As I've said, MCAs are a reflection of students' hard work & progress during an entire school year. This is a terrific group of learners!
A reminder: April is National Poetry Month, and we'll be celebrating poetry all month long. If you have a favorite poem, email it to me or send in a copy to school. We'd also love to welcome more guest readers this quarter. If you would like to come in and read poetry or a favorite book of yours or your child's during fourth quarter, please let me know.
Thanks for your continued support & enjoy your week!
MCA Parade & "Pep Up" Meeting Up with Buddies
Important Spring Dates:
4th Grade Reading MCAs: Wrapping up this week!
4th Grade Math MCAs: April 20-26th
***I will notify families of our specific testing dates for Math once I know.
4th Grade Spring Program: Tuesday, May 3rd, 6:00-6:45
Science Museum Overnight: Thursday, May 12-Friday, May 13th (returning at ~11:30 am)
4th Grade Track & Field: Thursday, May 26
***Friday, May 27 and Tuesday, May 31 are make up dates for T&F.
Updates & Announcements:
April Book Orders: April Scholastic orders came home Friday & are due THIS Friday, 4/15. You may order online using code HYTRX or in class with cash or a check. Additional titles are also available online. Happy Reading!
Science Museum Field Trip Payment: Please submit payment for our Science Museum overnight if you have not yet done so. Checks should be made out to K-M Schools. Thank you so much!
Download Open eBooks - Hundreds of FREE eBooks!
Your child now has access to hundreds of popular and award-winning FREE eBooks on the Open eBooks app for Apple and Android. Directions on downloading the app and a code for you to enter will be sent home today. Please direct any questions about Open eBook or your personal code to our media specialist Jenny Dalsted email@example.com The book selection is awesome! Take advantage of this wonderful FREE resource!
Examining Rock & Mineral Samples
This Week's Objectives:
- We are reading and discussing Lost City: The Discovery of Machu Picchu.
- We are working on the reading skill of inferring.
- We are reading and writing poetry.
- We are building reading stamina and practicing CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expanding Vocabulary) strategies for reading.
- We are converting fractions to decimals and percents.
- We are solving story problems involving multi-step operations.
- We are reviewing key geometry terms and area/perimeter.
- We are building our speed and accuracy with basic multiplication and division facts. Please help your child remember to practice facts at home each night for both multiplication and division! It is essential that students know basic facts with speed and accuracy. Thank you!
Science & Social Studies:
- We are continuing our geology unit and discussing fossils.
- Students are learning all about economics.
Both Language Arts & Math are now available on IXL!
Math Challenge Task Cards with Mr. Naylor's Class
Wishing you a wonderful week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.