P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
Week of October 10th to October 14th
📃A Message from Mrs. Figueroa
📔October Book of the Month is Everybody Cooks Rice. Through this book, we will be addressing commonalities and differences, help students explore how people and places shape their identity, their feelings about where they live, and how they connect with the world around them and building self-awareness, social-awareness and relationship skills.
✨Superintendent Guinta and her staff are offering parent workshops/get togethers. One will be understanding the DESSA screener on October 11th@ 6:30 p.m. via Zoom (flyer below). On October 14th, Superintendent Guinta will have a "Walk and Talk" at MS 74 from 9:00-10:00 a.m. I hope many PS 188 families can join her (flyer below).
📸School pictures are October 24th and October 26th. Send in your forms to order your school pictures!
🛑Nurse LeRoy and Nurse Montierde need to know if your child has ANY allergies. If you have not notified the school of any allergies, please return the allergy notice that was sent home in the beginning of the year. If you need another copy, please let your child's teacher know.
🚩Middle School Application will open on October 26th. We will have an informational meeting during the day on Friday, October 21st from 9:00-10:00 a.m. and an evening meeting on Monday, October 24th from 7:00-8:00 p.m. See the email from Mrs. Perez-Fung for more information. Please see below for further information.
A Few Reminders:
📅 No school on Monday, October 10th in observance of Indigenous People's Day.
📑Self-Sustaining Afterschool has ONE class that has a few spots left- 🎻Guitar! If you interested in learning how to play the guitar, please send in the form and payment. All families will be informed if the child(ren) were accepted into a program.
🍁PTA Sponsored Fall Family Day is Saturday, October 15th from 2-5 p.m. See flyer below.
📚Morning Library continues Monday to Thursday mornings from 7:30-7:55 a.m.
📣Snack Shack is up and running at dismissal. Everything is $1. All proceeds will go to provide needed supplies and enrichment opportunities for our students.
💡 PTA school T-shirt orders-if you have ordered a T-shirt, they will arrive in a few weeks.
🎃October 26th will be P.S. 188Q's Annual PreK and Kindergarten Pumpkin Patch at the Annex.
Thank you for your continued support. Reach out if you have any concerns or questions:
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Parent Meeting
🍁🍂PTA Sponsored Fall Family Day 2-5 p.m.🍁🍂
Volunteers Needed for Fall Family Day
Fall Family Day is on October 15th. It starts at 2pm and ends at 5pm. and the PTA needs YOUR help to make this event a success!
- Before the event, we need help setting up the food, games, arts & crafts.
- During the event, we need help watching the children in the bounce houses, overseeing the games and arts & crafts.
- Towards the end of the event and after we need help cleaning up.
We love our PS188 parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents!
To sign up please click on the link:
❗Attention 5th Grade Parents❗
School Leadership Team Parent Vacancy
💲PTA School Store and PS 188 Snack Shack
P.S. 188Q Snack Shack is open daily from 2:10-2:50 p.m. Everything is $1. All proceeds will go to enrichment and supplies for the P.S. 188 school community.
Respect for All Handouts and Respect for All Essay and Poster Contest
Please click Respect For All Handouts to view the NYC Department of Education Respect for All policy and brochure.
Due November 4, 2022: Submissions for the Annual NYCDOE Respect for All Essay and Poster Contest
To honor October National Anti-Bullying Month, the NYCDOE invites each school to submit up to one essay and one poster for the Respect for All Essay and Poster Contest. Please review these contest guidelines for more information.
NYC Rise Workshops for ALL Kindergarten and 1st Grade Families
Town Hall Safety Meeting Slide Deck
Free Family Community Events
Take A Look at What Is Happening at P.S. 188Q
- October 10th: No School Italian Heritage Day/Indigenous People's Day
- October 11th: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee Meeting @ 9:30 a.m. via Zoom💻; District 26 Parent Workshop 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
- October 12th: SLT Meeting @ 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
- October 13th: CDEC Meeting 7:00 p.m. TBD
- October 14th: "Walk and Talk" with Superintendent Guinta 9:00 @ MS 74--no rain date; Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa and Mrs. Nartowicz via Zoom @ 11 a.m.
- October 15th: PTA Sponsored Fall Family Day 2-5 p.m.
- October 18th: Morgan Library Trip- Class 4-318 and 4-316
- October 19th: Morgan Library Trip- Class 4-313 and 4-317; Self-Sustaining Afterschool begins; PTA meeting 7 p.m. via Zoom
- October 20th: Morgan Library Trip- Class 5-301 and 5-302
- October 21st: Morgan Library Trip- Class 5-303 and 5-304; Middle School Information Session via Zoom 9:00-10:00 a.m.
- October 24th: Picture Day in the Main Building and Annex (schedule will be sent home); Middle School Information Session via Zoom 7:00-8:00 p.m.
- October 26th: Picture Day in the Main Building (schedule will be sent home); Middle School Application OPENS
- October 27th: PTA Sponsored Mobile Ed Planetarium in the gymnasium for all students; Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa and Mrs. Nartowicz tentatively at 9:30 a.m.
- October 28th: PTA Sponsored Mobile Ed Planetarium in the gymnasium for all students
- October 31st: Halloween Parade 9:00 a.m. in school yards
- November 1st: Morgan Library in-classroom session for 4-313; 4-317; 4-318
- November 2nd: Morgan Library in-classroom session for 5-304; 4-316; 5-301; SLT Meeting TBA
- November 3rd 1/2 day of school- students dismissed by 11:20 a.m.; Parent Teacher Conferences via Zoom 12:20-2:20 p.m. and 4:30-7:00 p.m.
- November 4th: Morgan Library in-classroom session for 5-303 and 5-302
- November 8th: Election Day- Students do not attend school
- November 11th: No School Veteran's Day
- November 16th: Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa and Mrs. Nartowicz @ 1 p.m.