Jaguar Tracks for Families
March 9, 2021
From the Desk of Mrs. Ippolito
Please remember that the upcoming PD day is on MARCH 26th. There is NO SCHOOL for children on this day. It had been posted as 3/19 on an earlier district calendar and it was changed to the 26th.
All my best,
Joshua Eaton Reminders:
- Doors open & students begin to sign on @ 8:10
- Morning Work @ 8:10 -8:25
- School starts @ 8:25
- The dismissal bell rings @ 2:45
- Car tags must be hung on car visor or placed on the dash of the car to pick up car riders
- Send a note with your student if changing transportation home
- Students receive a free lunch every day
For families who are walking home via Oak St, please be sure to stay on the sidewalks as you leave JE to help keep everyone safe!!
Joshua Eaton PTO NEWS
5th Grade Yearbook: Art and Poem Contest!
5th graders are invited to participate in a cover contest for the yearbook! Students can draw a picture or write a poem about JE pride and what JE means to them. A student yearbook committee (more on that soon!) will determine the winners whose work will be showcased on the front and inside cover of the yearbook! All submissions will be included in the yearbook.
Please submit your child’s work to Rosanne Guerriero at email@example.com by April 5. If you cannot scan artwork and send it digitally, please email Rosanne to determine an alternative way to submit.
Calarusso Fundraiser: We will be sending home paper copies to our Cohort A students this week. Our cohort B families should find the printable order form below.
Joshua Eaton News
Morning Arrival Reminder
- Staff supervision at JE begins at 8:10 am. Hybrid students should not arrive unsupervised before 8:10 am. All students must be wearing their masks on school property.
- Please leave dogs at home and off of school property. Some students are allergic to dander or afraid of dogs, and we are also using the entire school grounds for learning spaces where the students will be sitting on the ground.
- Drop-off is from 8:10 – 8:25 am. All students should enter the building following their classroom assignment:
- Kindergarten - Mrs. Cornetta ( Door 4), Ms. Fusco/Mrs. Meagher (Door 6), Mrs. Manna( Modular) - same as the start of the year.
- Grade 1: Cohort A - Ms. Byrnes & Mrs. Varghese, Cohort B - Ms. McQuillin - Door 2 (front of the school -center)
- Grade 2: Cohort A - Mrs. Libby & Ms. Fitch, Cohort B - Ms. Kiley & Mrs. Nazzaro - Door 5 (Library Door, near glass windows)
- Grade 3: Cohort A - Mrs. Emery, Cohort B - Mrs. McGevna & Ms. Lewis - Oak Street St Lawn
- Grade 4 & 5 - Door 7 - ( Deroiser & Callan -right side of stairs), (Tierney, Donlon & Johnston -left side of stairs)
MORNING TRAFFIC & PARKING at JE
Between 7:30 - 8:30 am:
- Oak Street is a right turn only between the hours of 7:30 am – 8:30 am. There is a right turn only sign at the bottom of Oak Street.
- Drop-off cars will be pulling into designated drop-off spaces on Summer Ave. in front of Joshua Eaton only coming from Summer Ave and Oak Street. OR if coming down Oak Street there are 4 drop-off spaces at a time. These are reserved for DROP & GO only. Parents, please pull all the way up to the farthest available space available.
Please be sure your children can exit the vehicle from the right side of the vehicle.
Parents who wish to walk with their children to their entrance door should find parking on nearby side streets. Everyone should be wearing a mask on school property to ensure everyone's safety and maintain social distance.
Our parking lot is closed between the hours of 8:05 -3:10, except for ½ day Kindergarten at 11:30. ∙ A special parking pass is required to use the faculty parking lot for those with a special need.
Our hope is that we can all work together to create a safe drop-off for our community and most of all, for our children.
Dismissal Procedures Reminder
*Kindergarten dismissal remains the same as the start of the year. Please park on the street to pick up your child.
Dismissal begins at 2:45 with walkers first. Walkers exit doors 2 or 7.
At 2:50, Car Riders aka Parent Pick-up begins.
Notes for Walkers:
There will be two locations/doors for your child to be dismissed Door # 2/Summer Ave or Door #7/playground. Please note that walkers will be dismissed at 2:45 and they are required to promptly walk off of school grounds with their masks on. Parents and Caregivers can wait at the "rock" or cross the street on the sidewalk for social distancing!!!
Notes for Car Riders:
You received an orange placard for your vehicle, it is a family number when you pull into a parking space either on Oak St or Summer Ave. Please pull all the way forward in the parking spaces. A staff member will make note of your number on the placard and using our Google Slide system call for your child(ren) to come out to your car.
We will get your child out to you swiftly, please be patient. You must remain in your vehicle this year!
Notes for Bus Riders and Ext. Day:
If your child is taking a bus or attending the Reading Extended Day, he/she will be escorted to that location.
Student Council News
Student Council was inspired by the wonderful celebrations of literacy throughout Joshua Eaton during Read Across America week. To keep the enthusiasm going, Student Council members have recorded themselves reading some of their favorite picture books! We hope you enjoy listening to these books with your family and continue spreading the joy of reading. Click HERE to see all of the book recordings!
GRADE 5 Transition Night
Save the date! March 29 at 6:30 pm - Middle School Transition Night for Grade 5 Families
The Parker and Coolidge Middle School principals will host informational Zoom meetings for students and their families to hear about the transition and what middle school is like. Zoom links will be sent out prior to March 29. Stay tuned!
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education is preparing for MCAS administration this spring and therefore we are starting the preparation process at Barrows. The testing windows for this spring are:
Grades 3, 4, and 5
ELA, Mathematics, and Science (grade 5 only) May 10 – June 11
DESE has made the adjustment to one session per grade and content area and a shortened testing window. We do not have information yet on how tests will be administered for fully remote students.
Student Absences - IMPORTANT
There are two ways to do that prior to 7:45 am of the morning the student is absent:
1. Call 781-942-9161, Dial 1 - leave a message
2. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
JE School Supply Pick-Up - Next Pick-up March 18th
From the Desk of Mrs. Trevejo, School Nurse
Pool Testing update
Week of 3/8
Number Tested Results
Staff 33 -Negative
Students 98 -Negative
Last week, we pool tested all consented K-5 students and staff members. All pooled results were negative. We will be testing Cohort B, students (K-5), and staff tomorrow morning. (This only applies to students that will be in person. At present, we are not testing remote students.) Please remember that you will not be notified of results UNLESS your child’s pool tests positive and they will need to participate in the follow-up reflux testing. I will be in touch with you directly if that is the case.
If you haven’t signed up for testing and are interested, please fill out this google form. We will not be able to include your child in this week’s testing, but we will be able to include you the next time they will be in person.
Also, with the warmer weather, it is crucial that students come to school with a water bottle. Please make it a point to send one in every day.
If you are making a change to your child’s schedule, (remote à in person) and your child takes scheduled or PRN medications, please remember to drop off meds prior to their first week. Also, all medications must have an active MD/NP/PA order on file. Here is a link to the district’s medication order and permission form. Please schedule a time to drop off all documentation and medications PRIOR to your student starting in person.
In good health,
Mrs. Trevejo, RN MPH
O: 781-942-9161 ext. 140
From the Desk of Ms. Cucinotta, PE Teacher
Building Safety Project
Office of Student Services
We hope everyone is feeling rested after February break and that you were able to spend some time with your families! As we move into the month of March, we wanted to share the Student Services Office Hours for the upcoming month. Please use the link to the DOODLE Poll to select a time to meet with us.
The purpose of Office Hours is to meet with the Director and Assistant Director of Student Services to ask questions, express concerns or to share personal experiences of your student. These are optional meetings and are not team meetings. We've enjoyed these opportunities and look forward to continuing connecting with families during office hours.
Prior to your scheduled time, a ZOOM link will be sent to you via email. Please be sure to include your email address when you sign up!
If you have any questions regarding Office Hours, please contact Allison Wright, Assistant Director of Student Services @ Allison.Wright@reading.k12.ma.us.
Office Hours for March 2021
- Tuesday 3/9 @ 1:00-2:00 pm
- Thursday 3/18 @ 11:00-12:00 pm
- Monday 3/22 @ 10:30-11:30 am
- Wednesday 3/31 @ 9:00-10:00 am
Link to the Doodle Poll to sign up for Office Hours:
Director of Student Services
Reading Public Schools
Reading, MA 01867
SEPAC (Special Education Parent Advisory Council)
The SEPAC Community & Friends welcome your input and help to identify topics of high interest for future Special Education Parent Advisory Council presentations. Our goal is to build a stronger connection to not only the special education community and families, but the wider community as a whole. Learning together and building stronger relationships with all families creates a more accepting and informed community.
Please Email: email@example.com with your suggestions for presentation topics by Friday, April 2nd.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Connect with SEPAC by clicking these links:
· Join SEPAC's mailing list by emailing SEPACREADING@gmail.com
· Follow SEPAC on Facebook (please adjust settings so that you are sure to see our posts)
The mission of the Reading Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) is to work for the understanding of, respect for, and support of, all children with special needs in the community.
The Jungle Book Presentation...LIVE from Parker
Parker Drama is presenting The Jungle Book - live-streamed! - on Thursday, March 25 @ 6:30pm and Friday, March 26 @ 7:30pm.
Tickets are on sale now at: https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/46795
Be sure to check out the online Playbill here for many Barrows alums in the cast and crew: https://www.playbillder.com/show/vip/Parker_Middle_School/2021/The_Jungle_Book_87919
Superintendent Virtual Office Hours
- Just a reminder, that Dr. Doherty is holding the Superintendent Virtual Office Hours. Office hours will be scheduled in 20 minutes blocks of time on Microsoft Teams. If you would like to schedule an office hour, please complete this link.
RPS Food Distribution
Family Support Resources
Please be reminded of these amazing resources, if your family is in need:
- RPS Behavioral Health Resources linked here.
- Town of Reading: compiled resources linked here.
- RCASA and Mental Health Support linked here.
- St. Vincent de Paul linked here.
- Free & Reduced lunch access: sign up here.
- Reading Food Pantry linked here.
- Project Bread link here.
- Residential Financial Assistance (Rent/Mortgage) link here. (New resource! Check it out!)