Washington County 4-H Update
March 18, 2016
SEE WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE AN ANIMAL SCIENCE STUDENT!
The Animal Science Department at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln will be hosting an Animal Science Experience even on Monday, April 11th. This is a great opportunity for high school students to come and see what it is like to be an Animal Science student for a day on UNL's East Campus. They will have the opportunity to sit in on a lecture, do a hands-on lab with a faculty member, eat lunch in the union, and tour the facilities.
NAYI Applications Now Available!
The Nebraska Agricultural Youth Institute (NAYI) provides youth with an opportunity to explore the ag industry, discover potential ag-related careers and strengthen their appreciation for agriculture, the state’s leading industry. Applications for the 2016 NAYI are now available from the Nebraska Department of Agriculture (NDA) website at http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/nayi/index.html.
Students interested in applying have until April 15th, 2016 to apply.
Harlem Globetrotters Celebrate with Washington County 4-H Families
Community Service Project Opportunity!
March is Bake & Take month, a time when wheat organizations encourage others to bake a wheat good and share it with family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and shut-ins. In honor of the month, the Nebraska Wheat Board (NWB) is again sponsoring recipe cards and stickers for any 4-H groups or other organizations that wish to participate. This year’s recipes include low-cal, fat free brownies and fudge cookie bars. Those interested in participating or who have questions can contact the NWB office at (402) 471-2358 or firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no cost for the supplies, and no limit on the number that can be requested. If you wish to preview the recipes before requesting materials, you can find them listed on the NWB website. http://www.nebraskawheat.com/
Nebraska Beekeeping Classes
- Introductory Beekeeping Short Courses will be offered through the University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension on April 16. For more information, click the link below.
- Advanced Beekeeping: Pests & Disease Diagnostics will be held June 25 at the ARDC near Mead, NE. For more information on this class, click on the link below
These classes have time-sensitive deadlines, so act now!
4-H Food Smart Youth Ambassador Opportunity-Paid
For more information, click here.
Livestock & Small Animal Clinics, Workshops, and Programs
- Horse Judging Workshops - Going on now through May 2016
- Paws on 4-H Dog Workshop - April 2, 2016
- Burt County Beef Preview - April 2, 2016
- Canine Companions for Life 4-H Dog Expo - April 22, 2016
- Animal Science Youth Field Day - May 26, 2016
- PASE/LIFE Challenge - June 19, 2016 through June 21, 2016
- Papio Valley Market Broiler Show - June 25, 2016
- District Horse Show Dates and Locations
- June 13th - Kearney
- June 14th - Chadron
- June 15th - McCook
- June 16th - Leigh
- June 17th - Bloomfield
- June 21st - Lincoln
- The 2016 Nebraska State Horse Show will be held on July 10-14 at Fonner Park in Grand Island, NE.
Nominate your club for 4-H Club of the Month
The Nebraska 4-H Foundation and Nebraska 4-H Ambassadors have joined together to start a program which recognizes 4-H clubs throughout the state of Nebraska. Any 4-H club may nominate themselves to be the Club of the Month. Nominations are due the second Friday of the month before the club will be the Club of the Month. The club who is chosen to be Club of the Month will receive a $50 cash card from the Nebraska 4-H Foundation and their story will be showcased on the Nebraska 4-H Foundation's Facebook, Twitter, and website along with the State 4-H website and Facebook and in their local newspaper.
NOMINATION FORMS HERE.
Please email nomination forms to:
Or send to:
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Nebraska 4-H Foundation
210 Mussehl Hall East Campus
PO Box 830719
Lincoln NE 68583-0719