Lincoln Logan & McPherson 4-H News
April #2 2022
A Note from Miss Amber
Dear Lincoln, Logan & McPherson County 4-H Families,
We are heading into a busy spring and summer here at the Extension Office. Lots of deadlines are coming up so please make sure to look over this newsletter so that you do not miss a deadline or opportunity!
Summer workshop schedules are close to being finalized. If you are interested in teaching and/or helping with a summer workshop (or you just have a great idea for a workshop) please reach out to me. I would love to hear what the 4-H families would like to see for workshops.
As always, feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns,
In This Newsletter:
2022 County Fair Information
--Fairbooks available in office and online
--McPherson County 4-H Council Meeting
--Beef EID tags not currently available
--2022 4-H Animal Nomination/Identification Requirement
--4-H Market Animal Production Classes
--Important 4-H Reminders
--Lincoln, Logan, & McPherson County Enrollment Resource Links
--YQCA Training Information and Link
2022 Show Flyers and Registration Forms
Spring Workshop Flyers
Showmanship Clinics - Rabbit and Poultry
Nebraska 4-H Events
--Horse District/State Information
--PASE-Premier Animal Science Event
--Save the Dates
--Nebraska 4-H Summer Camps
Calendar of Events:
4/24: YQCA training; 2p.m.-4p.m. Lincoln County Fairgrounds
5/3: McPherson County 4-H Council Meeting; 6p.m. at 4-H Building
5/23: YQCA training; 10a.m.-12p.m. Lincoln County Fairgrounds
5/23: Lincoln County 4-H Council Meeting; 7 p.m. Extension Office Meeting Room
6/4: Sheep and Goat Weigh in; 9-11a.m. Lincoln County Fairgrounds
6/6-6/10: District 4-H Horse Shows
6/6: Logan County 4-H Council Meeting; 6:45 pm at Fair Building
6/12: Lincoln Co. Youth Livestock Sale Committee; 2p.m. Centennial Hall
6/13: YQCA Training; 6:30p.m.-8:30p.m. Lincoln County Fairgrounds
6/22-6/23: Premier Animal Science Event (PASE)
6/24: State 4-H Public Speaking Contest
7/9-7/13: Fonner Park State 4-H Horse Expo
7/16-7/17: Lincoln County Fair 4-H Horse Show
7/18-7/24: Lincoln County Fair
8/7 -8/13: Logan County Fair
8/11-8/13: McPherson County Fair
8/26-9/5: Nebraska State Fair
9/18: Lincoln Co. Youth Livestock Sale Committee; 2p.m.Centennial Hall
Speech/Presentations/ Music Contest
Registration due to the Extension Office by April 25th!
Lincoln County Music Contest: Thursday, July 7, 6:30 pm at MPCC South Campus Theater
Registration due via ShoWorks by July 1!
Fillable PDF entry forms can be found at: https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/lincolnmcpherson/pre-fair-contest/
2022 County Fair Information
2022 Lincoln, Logan, & McPherson County Fairbooks
- The 2022 Fairbooks have arrived!!
- Enrolled members may stop in and get their copy today. Please limit 1 fairbook per family.
- Click on the button below to view the online version of the fairbook with a clickable index to take you to a specific section or page.
- Please note: the grey highlighted areas are changes/additions for 2022.
McPherson County 4-H Council Meeting
- The next McPherson County 4-H Council meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 3 at 6:00 pm at the fair building with officer elections.
- The 4-H Council is seeking volunteers to serve in this leadership role to work alongside the Extension Office in making decisions for the McPherson County 4-H program.
- If you are interested in joining the 4-H Council please plan to attend the May meeting, or e-mail email@example.com.
Print your ID sheets! Deadline to be turned in to the Extension Office is June 15, 2022 by 5 p.m.
4-H Market Animal Production Classes
The purpose of 4-H record keeping is to teach youth how to keep records, which is an important life skill. Record keeping is an ongoing process that does not end when 4-H ends. It teaches youth how to set goals, how to make plans for action, and the end result.
You may enter 1 market animal per species in a production class. The specific animal must be selected at pre-fair entry. The production champion per species will be the youth with the highest total score from the live show, rate of gain and record book. Record books will need be turned in by September 15th.
Refer to the Fairbook for more information on Production Classes.
Attention all Lincoln, Logan, & McPherson County 4-Hers!!!
- Enrolling in 4-H Online is just the 1st step in your 4-H Journey! June 1st the ShoWorks website specific will open to select each individual class and exhibit for county fair.
- The deadline for pre-fair entries is: July 1st at 5 p.m. for Lincoln County; July 15th at 5 p.m. for Logan and McPherson Counties.
- The Statewide Deadline for 4-H enrollment is June 15th. We encourage early enrollment so important deadlines are not missed.
- 2022 4-H T-shirts will be ordered this year for each 4-H youth enrolled thanks to our wonderful sponsors!! Please ensure youth are selecting the correct size for fair time when enrolling.
- When enrolling in 4-H make sure to stop into the Extension Office and pick up your 4-H Yard Sign!
YQCA - Quality Assurance
****To receive credit for YQCA - Quality Assurance, youth must submit their YQCA Certificate to the Extension Office by June 15, 2022. The Extension staff will not have access to view completion of your YQCA training.
Deadline is June 15, 2022. In order to receive credit for YQCA/Quality Assurance, you MUST submit your Certificate to the Extension Office by 5 p.m. June 15, 2022.
2022 Show Flyers and Registration
Upcoming 4-H Workshops
Nebraska 4-H Events
Horse District/State Information
If you are planning on competing at district and/or state horse shows this year, all horse ID’s must be received in our office, Online entries for DISTRICT/STATE must be submitted and paid for at nhorse.fairwire.com, and your advancement levels must be completed all by 5:00 pm Friday, May 6th. Hippology and Horse Judging contest entries must be submitted to our office by June 15th.
Premier Animal Science Event (PASE)
The Premier Animal Science Event (PASE) will be held on Wednesday, June 22 and Thursday, June 23 on the UNL Campus. Contests available to enter are Meats Judging, Poultry Judging, Livestock Quiz Bowl, Livestock Skill-a-Thon, and Livestock Judging Contest. Youth must be ages 10-18 on January 1st of the current year in order to attend. Please contact Amber at 532-2683 or firstname.lastname@example.org is you are interested in participating in any of these contests before June 1st!
4-H Member SPOTLIGHT
We are spotlighting what some of our Lincoln-Logan-McPherson County 4-H'ers are doing! If you have something that you would like us to add to the Spotlight section in future newsletters please e-mail Amber at email@example.com