HSMS Library Media Center
Fall/Winter 2016 #hsmsreads
Come take your picture with Santa using our green screen selfie station! #santaselfie #hsmsreads
#HSMSreads Book Club
The #HSMSreads Book Club met and has been reading Virals by Kathy Reich. The students of the book club were invited to hear our guest author, Jarrett Krosoczka, speak about his life, his writing and his art and illustrations. Special thanks to Garland County Library for sponsoring his visit at HSMS!
Teen Read Week
During Teen Read Week in October, we hosted Brittany Chavez from the Garland County Library, who shared some great new young adult books with our students. Also, our students enjoyed a Harry Potter movie during lunch in the library each day.
#HSMSreads Book Club
Schedule a Breakout EDU in the HSMS Library
Teaching & Learning at HSMS Library Media Center
Instruction @HSMS Library:
- Mrs. Chitwood's and Mrs. Hitt's students came to the library for a lesson on Internet Safety.
- Mrs. Hamilton's & Mrs. Hitt's 8th grade Literacy classes enjoyed hearing booktalks from Garland County YA Librarian, Brittany Chavez, on October 10 as part of a celebration of Teen Read Week. She talked about several new young adult titles with our students.
- I booktalked new books for Mrs. Hamilton's classes and provided instruction on how to access some of the online resources provided by Garland County Library.
- Mrs. Nelson's students came to the library for instruction on how to use the card catalog, how to make better Google searches, and how to create a bibliography using EasyBib.
- Ms. McClendon's Drama classes came to the library to watch the play Our Town.
- I organized a Breakout for the teachers to experience during their meeting time from Breakout.edu based on the movie Back to the Future.
- I also provided instruction for teachers on the use of Google Calendars and Email on October 17. Resources for this instruction were posted to the HSMS Staff Google Classroom for anyone who was unable to attend the training.
We have also had several classes come to check out library books and lots of free flow students. Over 2300 students have also signed in to use the library, apart from a class, since school started. We love to see our students reading! Thank you, teachers, for encouraging our students to have a book with them and to be reading!
Teachers, please contact me if you would like to schedule your students for library instruction or to reserve your class for checking in and out books. I can come to your classroom or schedule your class time in the library.
Pumpkin Light Night
Total Circulations (Checkouts) 5,556
Top Student Patrons
These are the top 10 students who have the most checkouts this school year. Please encourage these students when you see them to keep reading! #hsmsreads
1. B. Hewitt 84
2. Q. Johnson 57
3. A. Rodriguez 52
4. T. Scoles 39
5. R. Jones 37
6. A. Grissom 34
7. A. Mitchell-Perkins 34
8. K. Beaver 33
9. M. Harbut 33
10. K. Cordova 30
Top Ten Books
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School
The Lost Hero
The Hunger Games
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel
If We Survive
Tales from a Not-So-Dorky Drama Queen
Tales from a Not-So-Happily Ever After
The Lions of Little Rock
Top 10 Things Your Librarian Can Do For You
HSMS Book Club #hsmsreads
Virals by Kathy Reichs
HSMS Book Club is reading Virals by Kathy Reichs. This is a description from Goodreads.com and this is the first in a series.
Virals (Virals #1)
Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.
As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.
Fortunately, they are now more than friends. They're a pack. They are Virals.