Communicating with Parents who don't speak English

Big picture

Who can I call if I need an interpreter for parent communication?


For purposes of confidentiality, please use only the people on the master interpreter list provided. Make sure that you complete the google form so that they will receive payment. Interpreters cannot be used for instructional purposes. Interpreters are to be used for oral translation only.

Big picture
Working with Interpreters

There's an app for that

There are several apps that can assist with building relationships with parents, even with a language barrier. Try SayHi, Talking Points, Remind, ClassDojo or Bloomz. Make sure whatever app you decide to use supports the languages you need. Also, some parents may not be literate in their first language. If they are not, sending home translated documents may not be helpful.

Must my child’s school provide information to me in a language I can understand?


Schools must communicate information to limited English proficient parents in a language they can understand about any program, service, or activity that is called to the attention of parents who are proficient in English. This includes, but is not limited to, information related to:

 registration and enrollment in school and school programs

 grievance procedures and notices of nondiscrimination

 language assistance programs

 parent handbooks

 report cards

 gifted and talented programs

 student discipline policies and procedures

 magnet and charter schools

 special education and related services, and meetings to discuss special education

 parent-teacher conferences

 requests for parent permission for student participation in school activities