Compass Family Update
January 9th, 2016
What's happening at Compass this week?
Monday, January 9th, 2017
- 6:00PM-7:00PM: FSC Board Meeting
Tuesday, January 10th, 2017
- 8:30AM-10:00AM: Tour for Prospective Families
Wednesday, January 11th, 2017
- 8:20AM: Join us in the gym for Community Gathering
Thursday, January 12th, 2017
- Chestnut Class (Third Grade) Field Visit to New York Historical Society
Friday, January 13th, 2017
- Tulip Class (Third Grade) Field Visit to New York Historical Society
Monday, January 16th, 2017
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day: School Closed
From the Co-Directors
Happy New Year! We were so happy to see all of the children last Thursday and we are now back in the swing of things after the vacation. Our teachers are implementing the interactive learning structures and strategies we learned during our two additional days of Responsive Classroom training. Our facilitator will be back later in the school year for another day of follow up training and we have already booked additional training for the staff for next summer. We're looking forward to continuing to strengthen our school culture and climate. Let us know if you have any question about this work.
Brooke, Michelle, and Todd
Outdoor Play and Gear for the Winter Months
We recommend the following winter gear for outdoor play:
- A warm winter coat
- Layers underneath coat
- Waterproof mittens
- Snow boots
- Hat or other warm headgear that covers head and ears
- Snowpants or an extra pair of sweatpants to put on before going out
*For more in depth information about winter gear, take a look at the first article below.
Our Community Closet has some extra winter gear that is ready to be passed on to Compass kids. Please make an appointment or send a list with your child if you need anything.
If you have any extras of the items listed above and would like to donate, please drop them off in the Co-Directors' Office and they will be put to good use.
*The only exception to playing outdoors twice a day in the winter is for children who have a doctor's note that excuses them from playing outdoors when the temperature is below 32 degrees.
Updates from the Studios
Check out Kirsten's most recent blog post about the Fossil Museum created by our third graders. If you're in the building soon, check out the student work outside the Sustainability Studio.
Visual Arts Update from Suzanne
Happy New Year!
Please help us in welcoming Gordi, our new student teacher (photo below). She is a graduate Art and Design Education Major who will be with kindergarten, first, and third grades Monday through Thursday through May.
Order Your School Pictures! Deadline for ordering is 2/28/17
School photos are ready for purchase! Thank you to Compass parent and photographer, Lucy Schaeffer, for donating her time to our School Photo Fundraiser.
You should have received an email with instructions for how to order photos. If you have questions about how to order, please email our Photo Volunteer, Alex, at email@example.com.
School Pictures are available for purchase through February 28th. Please place your orders by this date. Thanks!
Save the Date: FSC Winter Fling
Our Healthy School Fund: January
If you have not already contributed to the Healthy School Fund for September and October, please do so as soon as possible. We ask that you contribute $30 per child per month. Directions for payment are listed below. Please let us know if you have questions. If you need support in making contributions to the Healthy School Fund, please let us know and we will do our best to support you.
Various ways you can make payments to Compass (for the Healthy Snack Fund, t-shirts, school lunches) include:
- Mail or hand-deliver a Cash, Check, or Money Order to Todd or Chelsea (For the time being, please only give money to these two Compass employees. Haleema, our new Finance Manager, will be setting up a new process for receiving funds in the near future.)
- Venmo: username = compasscharter
- Square Cash = send your contribution to Todd’s work email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Here are slightly sophisticated directions for how to setup an automatic payment through Square Cash if that helps you.
- Chase QuickPay = send your contribution to Todd’s work email address: email@example.com. Chase's platform allows you to easily setup a recurring payment.
- Online: https://brooklyncompass.org/donate/
2016-2017 School Year Calendar
Click HERE to access our public Compass calendar.
Compass Charter School
Follow us on Instagram @brooklyn_compass
Feel free to reach out anytime with questions or to catch up. Our contact info is listed below.
Brooke Peters, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
718-310-3588, extension 503
Michelle Healy, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
718-310-3588, extension 504
Todd Sutler, Co-Director of Strategic Development
718-310-3588, extension 501