WRMS Weekly Update
January 10, 2020
A True, 6-8 Middle School in September of 2020!
- January 16th, Board of Education Meeting, Jr./Sr. HS, 7:30 PM
- January 29th, Hurley Theater, Jr./Sr. HS, 9:00 - 10:00 AM
- January 29th, WRMS Cafeteria, 6:30-7:30 PM
The presentation will also be shared electronically at the end of the month if you are unable to join us.
A Note From The School Nurse
I thought I would let everyone know that as we start a new year, illness doesn’t seem to discriminate.
WRMS is experiencing a little bit of everything with no major outbreaks at the present time. I have documented a few cases of the Flu, so please follow our School Health Guidelines located in the Medical Handbook as well as directives below from the Center for Disease Control.
Our custodial staff has increased their cleaning in the classrooms, lockers, public areas, and even door handles.
Working together to prevent illness is the best preventative medicine for our school, homes, and community.
The CDC recommends a 3 step approach:
- Get a Flu Vaccine - it is not too late!
- Stop the spread: wash hands often, avoid touching eyes, nose/mouth, clean frequently touched items, cover coughs and sneezes
- Take antiviral medications if prescribed by your doctor
*** STUDENTS SHOULD STAY HOME UNTIL FEVER FREE FOR A FULL 24-HOURS, WITHOUT MEDICATION, AND ARE ABLE TO FULLY PARTICIPATE IN SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
On another note - please also submit any updated physicals to the nurse's office. If we have documentation that the doctor has already conducted the mandatory screenings, this will prevent us from pulling students from class to repeat them. Thank you!
Coping with the United States of Anxiety
YouthTruth Survey- COMING SOON!
Westwood Regional School District has partnered with the national nonprofit, YouthTruth, to help us hear feedback from our parents, staff, and students about what we are doing well, and how we can improve.
From January 21 to January 31, 2020, the YouthTruth Family survey will be open and we want to hear from you! Once the survey is open, we will send out an email with the link to the survey and any additional details. The survey takes about 15 minutes and your anonymous response will be combined with responses from other parents/guardians throughout the district.
Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Special Education Parent Advisory Council Meeting
The next Special Education Parent Advisory Council meeting will be held on January 23, 2020, at 6:30 PM in the conference room within the Department of Special Services. All parents are encouraged to attend! Ariana Wiecenski, District Occupational Therapist, will be supported by Jessica Gluck, Assistant Director of Special Services, and Ray Renshaw, Director of Special Services as she addresses the topic of self regulation. Furthermore, strategies and resources regarding the Zones of Regulation will be shared during the meeting.
Kindergarten Registration for 20-21
The Westwood Regional School District opened online Kindergarten registration for the 2020‑2021 school year on Tuesday, December 3, 2019. This is a pre-registration only; students will not be considered enrolled until parents/guardians submit the required documentation at an in-person registration appointment.
Be aware that your child must reside in the Borough of Westwood or Township of Washington and be five (5) years old on or before October 1, 2020 to enter Kindergarten next September.
For more information, click here. We look forward to welcoming your kindergartener!
PSO Middle School Sports Program - Winter Session
Reminder: Middle school sports and NEW tumbling start this week!
- Tuesdays - Multi-Sports with Ms. Lizzi 3-4pm
- Tuesdays - Tumbling with Mrs. Sans 3-4 pm
- Thursdays - Multi-Sports with Ms. Cascio 3-4pm
Campgaw Mountain Snow Tubing
February 3rd from 6-8 PM, details and registration coming soon!
Download the new Box Tops app and keep earning for our school! Box Tops is in the process of going digital. While you will be able to clip and send them in the traditional way while products remain on store shelves, earning 10 cents for the school with each Box Top you send in (and these really add up!), we will be shifting toward individual online submission and an all-school goal. Please download the app at the Apple App Store or on Google Play to participate. Anytime you purchase items featuring the new Box Tops label, you’ll simply need to scan your receipt and all such items will be recorded—with just one scan. Scanning these receipts also gets us entered in contests that win bonus Box Tops for our school!
Keep on clipping and start scanning! Next competition round ends in February!!
Yearbooks on Sale Early!
- The order number is: 4511
- Confirm that you have selected Westwood Regional Middle School.
- Choose "Buy a Yearbook, Yearbook Packages" on the left side of the screen.
- After you put a yearbook in the cart it will ask you to "find a student". Enter your child's name and hit the search box. Once it comes up that the name can't be found click on "add your student". This will generate a list of who ordered a yearbook for distribution time.
Email Mrs. Zalarick with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sales close May 9, 2020
Hockey Fights Cancer
Save the Date!
- 1/13 - PSO Meeting, 7:30 PM
- 1/15 - Coping with Anxiety Parent Program, 7:00 PM, Brookside
- 1/16 - BOE Meeting, 7:30 PM - Middle School Transition Presentation
- 1/20 - No School
- 1/23 - SEPAC Meeting, 6:30 PM, Special Services Conference Room
- 1/29 - Middle School Transition Presentation, 9:00 AM, Jr./Sr. HS, Hurley Theater
- 1/29 - Middle School Transition Presentation, 6:30 PM, WRMS, Cafeteria
- 1/31 - End of Marking Period 2
Monday is a "B" day!