15 Tips to College Success
College life can be a fun and rewarding experience that changes your life for the better, or it can become a place of stress that dawns on you half way through the semester. While there is no standardized formula to make it through college, we can offer a few proven tips for being successful in a college class academically, socially and professionally.
1. Maintain good attendance
2. Take advantage of school resources
3. Visit Counselor regularly
4. Stay connected
5. Maintain balance
6. Set reasonable goals
7. Be organized
8. Be consistent
9. Take and review notes.
10. Work on your problem-solving skills
11. Develop regular study time
12. Perfect your study techniques
13. Reward yourself
14. Strengthen your writing skills
15. Learn money management
FREE college success workshops available at Leeward CC, LC-102, 12:00 to 12:50 p.m. Upcoming workshops (no prior sign-up required):
9/20 How Effective Note Taking Can Help you Success in College
9/21 Coping with College: How to Handle the Transition
9/27 Discover your GRIT – Motivation to Get Through College and Beyond
9/28 Memory Hacks for Studying
Best College Values
CHANGES TO 2017-18 FAFSA
- Students will be able to submit a FAFSA® earlier. Students will be able to file a 2017–18 FAFSA as early as October 1, 2016, rather than beginning on January 1, 2017. The earlier submission date will be a permanent change, enabling students to complete and submit a FAFSA as early as October 1 every year. (There is NO CHANGE to the 2016–17 schedule. The FAFSA became available January 1 as in previous years.)
- Students will use earlier income information. Beginning with the 2017–18 FAFSA, students will be required to report income information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2017–18 FAFSA, students (and parents, as appropriate) will report their 2015 income information, rather than their 2016 income information.
The following table provides a summary of key dates as we transition to using the early FAFSA submission timeframe and earlier tax information.
If you’d like more details about the upcoming changes, you may read the fact sheet called College Students and Parents: What You Need to Know About the 2017–18 FAFSA®.
Learn more about the FAFSA process and for any questions, please do not hesitate to contact
Leeward CC Financial Aid office
Leeward CC, AD-201
Monday through Friday, 8.00 am to 4.30 pm
Phone: (808) 455-0606
Halau Scholarship Workshop
The Halau will be hosting scholarship workshops.
Note: These workshops are open to all students, not just Native Hawaiian students.
The Halau - Rm: DA-103
For any questions, please contact:
Aaron Kalei Gorospe
Counselor, Halau 'Ike O Pu'uloa
Leeward Community College
Phone: (808) 455-0544