Boreal Forests (Taiga)
Located in the Northernmost part of the Northern Hemisphere
Description of Biome
- Coniferous or boreal forests occur in cold northern regions characterized by long cold winters and short summers. Although there is a lot of precipitation, most of it falls as snow.
- Coniferous trees, such as spruce, pine, hemlock, and fir are common.
- American Black Bear, Bull Caribou, Moose, Bald Eagle, Bobcat, Canadian Lynx, Gray Wolf, Grizzly Bear, Long-Eared Owl, Red Fox, River Otter, Snowshoe Rabbit, and Wolverine are some animals that inhabit that taiga.
-The Ermine's brown summer coat changes to white to help it camouflage itself during the winter.
- Many trees are evergreen so that they can photosynthesize right away when temperatures rise.
Importance of Biome
- In some areas, boreal forest has been extensively converted to other land uses by clear cutting, which destroys the habitat of many animals living in the Taiga.
- Climate change caused by humans can cause the permafrost to melt.
- The taiga has been severely damaged by air pollution.
- The Taiga can help to contribute to cool climate change.
- (2012, April 26). In Ermine. Retrieved from http://ambrit5l.pbworks.com/f/1229001125/ermine.jpg
- Draggan, S. (2014, September 30). In Importance and relationship of boreal forests to climate. Retrieved from http://-www.eoearth.org/view/article/153787/
- ETE Team, . (2005, April 28). In Taiga: Animals. Retrieved from http://www.cotf.edu/ete/modules/msese/earthsysflr/taigaA.html
- Missouri Botanical Garden, . (2009). In Plant Adaptations. Retrieved from http://www.mbgnet.net/bioplants/adapt.html
- (n.d.). Retrieved from http://whatisthetaigabiome.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/5/4/16540518/5423659.png?399
- (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.distrito13.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/12-taiga.jpg
- Endres, P. J. (n.d.). In COMPOSIT: Bull caribou and northern lights.
- (n.d.). Retrieved February 12, 2016, from http://www.arcticphoto.co.uk/Pix/CA/04/CAN0407-25_P.JPG
- B, D. (n.d.). In Taiga Animals. Retrieved February 12, 2016, from http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/taiga_animal_page.htm
- (n.d.). In Taiga Plants. Retrieved February 12, 2016, from http://www.ri.net/schools/West_Warwick/manateeproject/Taiga/plants.htm
- BBC, . (n.d.). In Coniferous Woodland. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/ecosystems/coniferous_woodland_rev1.shtml