Pleasant Street School News
building a community of learners that strive for excellence
October 19, 2015
Harvest Dance Fun
Some of our costume prize winners are pictured to the right: Joey as a Ghost Buster with an amazing costume.
More prize winners- pictured below from left to right: Ariana, the LeBlanc family as gnomes, Aiden and his Mom Melinda as Mario characters.
Pictured second row from left to right: Liz and Sammy, Kayla, and Gentry.
Wonder Words! The Importance of Teaching Vocabulary
The focus of our Wonder Words bulletin board for this week is the root word "phone," which means something to do with sound. Some examples are telephone, homophone, microphone, megaphone, and headphones. Teaching children to understand the role of root words in our language is another way to help them use a strategy for approaching unfamiliar words. Special thanks to our speech and language pathologists, Jasmine Ribeiro and Jen LaRoche for developing this bulletin board. To learn more about speech & language development please visit their PSS speech and language website page http://www.arrsd.org/?page_id=1401.
To learn more about the importance of children learning vocabulary please check out the links below from the Reading Rockets website.
Snapshots from around school
Math Word Wall
Learning to use math talk and math terms in Mrs. Richardson's first grade.
Using problem solving strategies
Students display multiple methods to solve problems in first grade.
Math Workshop in Mrs. Jones' Class
What does it look like?
What does it sound like?
Preschool Where Learning is Always Fun
Catch of the Day!
Mad Science -Week #2
Free Breakfast & Lunch
As part of the 2010 Healthy and Hunger-Free Kids Act, Athol-Royalston Regional School District, along with other districts, now offers free meals to all students this school year.
- Breakfast menu for October
- Lunch menu for October
Senator Gobi's Card Contest
Rules for the card contest are as follows:
- The theme is "My Favorite Christmas." This means children should draw a picture of their favorite holiday or winter time activity.
- The entry must be on a 8 1/2" x 11" piece of white construction paper.
- Colors should be kept to a minimum of four is possible.
- The student's name, address, age, grade, teacher, and school should be written clearly on the back of the paper.
- Entries must be returned to the Senator's office by November 1st to her address listed below.
Statehouse, Room 513
Boston, MA 02133
The winner of the contest will receive a $100 check a a pizza party for his or her class. The Honarable Mentions will receive $25 each. The Senator will schedule appointments with schools to present awards to those who are selected.
Pictured is Senator Brewer with a former winner of this Christmas Card contest.
Community Events & Postings
Do you have news to share or want to inform members of our school community about family friendly events in our area? if so, please email or forward a flyer or link.
Thank you :)
Mother Goose on the Loose Playgroup-Thursdays 10am—11:30am Valuing Our Children 217 Walnut St. Athol. For more information contact: Jen: 978-249-8467 x 22
Petersham Playgroup- Beginning on Thursday, Sept. 17th from 10-11:30 at the Petersham Center School. For more information please call Jennifer at Valuing Our Children 978-249-8467 x22
Harvest Party and Scavenger Hunt - Petersham Playgroup- Thursday October 29
Halloween Story Walk and Party- Thursday October 29, 10:00-11:30, Athol Public Library
The Common Thread for October-newsletter of the North Quabbin Community Coalition.
For other local events, happenings, and resources in this area... you can also check the North Quabbin Community Coalition website below:
These are not school sponsored events but are posted here as a public service for families in the greater North Quabbin community.
Upcoming Events...Mark your Calendars!
Upcoming Events and Dates!
- October 22, Mad Science Afterschool Program, 3:15-4:15 pm
- October 28, Half day, district professional development, noon dismissal, lunch is served
- October 29, Mad Science Afterschool Program, 3:15-4:15 pm
- November 2, PTO meeting, 5:30-6:30 pm, note the earlier time
- November 3, Community Reading Day
- November 11, Veteran's day holiday-no school
- November 14- Save the Date- 10:00-12:00- The Big Read