Alamo Superhero Headlines
Alamo Elementary Weekly Newsletter - October 29, 2018
Responsible Actions - Luka Gregor & Rylee McMillin
Integrity WIthin - Jack DeBoer & Bryson Smith
Determination to Succeed - Josie Wanamaker & Nathan Brackett
Expect Excellence - Wyatt Dennis & Eli Sonnenberg
Positive Attitude - Nova Steenholdt & Parker McLain
Responsible Actions - Harper Higgins & Emma Zimmermann
Integrity WIthin - Cordell Stoneburner & Mackenzie Palmer
Determination to Succeed - James Adams & Haidyn Sinkler
Expect Excellence - Alison Bush & Vinny Ramsey
Updated Pick-Up Procedure
It is of upmost priority to us to keep your child safe while he/she is at school. With the addition of our new entrance we ask that parents wait outside to pick up their child at the end of the day. We have recently made a few adjustments to our end of the day procedures.
- Pick Up Students - All parents who are picking up their child will need to wait outside the building near the cafeteria exit. Parents need to pick up their child from the classroom teacher. Kindergarten students will exit out the west side of the building near the bus loop. 1st-5th grade pick up students will exit out the cafeteria doors.
- Bus Riders - Bus students will exit out the main doors.
We LOVE interacting with our students' families and welcome you into the building after dismissal is complete. If you need to pick your child up early or need to speak with the office you are welcome to enter the office prior to the end of the day.
National School Safety Week & OK2Say Presentations
Last week Otsego Public Schools launched OK2SAY during National School Safety Week, as a new tool in our school safety plan. While we believe Otsego Public Schools are safe, we are not immune from potential threats or dangers to our students or learning environment. We know that someone is usually aware of an activity before it happens; we want to empower students to speak up. That’s why we are joining forces with OK2SAY, a student safety initiative in Michigan that enables students to confidentially report potential harm or criminal activity aimed at students, teachers, staff or other school employees. Alamo students participated in OK2Say presentations on Friday where they learned about rude, mean & bully behavior, internet safety & cyber bullying.
This year our PTO spent time decorating the specials hallway in preparation for the Trick or Treat trail. Students will receive several treats and prizes throughout the trail and then will head to the cafeteria where they will be able to enjoy their treats from the trail.
Halloween Festivities (Trick or Treat Trail w/snack)
1:10-1:25 – Kindergarten
1:25-1:40 – 3rd
1:40-1:55 – 4th
1:55-2:10 – 5th
2:10-2:25 – 2nd
2:25-2:40 - 1st
All School Parade @ 3:00 p.m.
Our costume parade will be held on Friday, Oct. 31st at 3:00 p.m. Please plan to join us!
To learn more about WatchD.O.G.S. click on the video link below.
The staff and parents at Alamo Elementary believe in providing a safe quality educational environment for our kids. WATCH D.O.G.S. is a one of a kind, school-based father involvement program that supports education and safety.
If you are interested in being a Watch DOG or would like to make a financial donation to assist in supporting this program please contact Nicole M. Knight-Lucas (email@example.com) or Natalie Trumley (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Register to be a WatchDOG and sign up by clicking on the link at VolunteerSpot: https://signup.com/client/invitation2/secure/1998773/false#/invitation
To purchase a shirt (and other great WatchDOGS gear) please visit http://www.fathers.com/watchdogs/ and click on “Dogstore”.
Thank you Fun Run Sponsors
An enormous thank you goes out to all of our company sponsors for this year’s Fun Run. Please help support them just as they have supported us.
Real Wood Floors
Vlietstra Fertilizing Services
National Storage Company
Esper Electric, LTD
Warner Memorial Camp
Preferred Plumbing and Heating
Steensma Lawn and Power Equipment
Butler, Toweson and Payseno, PLLC
USG Otsego Paper
5th Grade Petting Zoo
Dress Code Review
As we begin to ride the temperature rollercoaster that is the norm here in West Michigan, it is a good time to review the recess dress code.
All students must wear snow pants, coat, and boots to go off the paved areas of the playground when there is snow on the ground or if it is muddy. Also as the weather and temperature fluctuates our policy for outdoor gear is as
50’s – Jackets are suggested, but optional
40’s – Jackets, coat, sweatshirt, or sweater
30’s – Coat, hat, gloves, boots, & snow pants
We use the wind chill temperature to determine the dress requirements. The office will inform the students when the temperature is questionable.
Alamo Mileage Club Gearing Up
PE Teacher, Mr. Uramkin, is kicking off the Alamo Mileage Club again. The Alamo Mileage Club will take place on Tuesdays and Fridays at lunch recess. Parents are welcome and encouraged to come and walk and every Tuesday and Friday. Be sure to register in the office. The program is designed to increase physical activity among the students and promote exercise.
Lunch Recess Times
K - 11:55-12:15
1st - 11:55-12:15
2nd - 12:05-12:25
3rd - 12:25-12:45
4th - 12:35-12:55
5th - 12:15-12:35
OPS Compliment Box
Get Involved, Make a Difference
November 12th @ 4:00 p.m.
No December meeting
January 7th @ 6:30 p.m.
February 11th @ 4:00 p.m.
March 4th @ 6:30 p.m.
April 8th @ 4:00 p.m.
May 6th @ 6:30 p.m.
Interested in Volunteering?
The PTO uses a website called Volunteer Spot. How it works is you will receive an email from Volunteer Spot with our PTO President/Volunteer Coordinator’s name, Kim Jacobs Volunteer Coordinator, in the subject line. When you open the email, it will list the event and dates we will need helpers. If you can help, click on the link in the email that says Sign Up Now/Learn More. This will take you to a calendar where you will see sign up icons. Click on the date you can help and this will take you to a box where you will see times, how many volunteers are needed and a job description. Click on Sign Up Here, then Save and Close, and you're all set! 1-2 days before the event, you will receive a reminder email. If you have any questions, please feel free to call Kim at 381-5514. Thank you!
Box Tops & Aunt Millie's
Every year our PTO collects Box-Tops for Education. Send in those Box-Tops today!
Aunt Millie's School Spirit Program
Help earn money for your school by collecting Aunt Millie's UPC's.
Click on the link to learn more. http://schoolspiritprograms.com/how-it-works/
Guests & Visitors
We love visitors at Alamo, but want to make sure we are keeping our students safe. Upon entering the building, you are required to check in with the office. You can drop off the forgotten homework, lunch or note to your child in the office. We will make sure it gets to the classroom teacher. If you are going to the classroom, please stop in the office to register and pick up a visitor’s pass.
Important information concerning changes to the Otsego Public Schools Elementary Student Handbook
There have been two changes to the Otsego Public Schools Elementary Handbook concerning Electronic Devices/Cell Phones and Attendance. Please review the last two newsletters concerning these changes. The Elementary Student Handbook is available on-line at www.otsegops.org, under Useful Links on each building page, or a paper copy can be obtained in any OPS Elementary School office.
Alamo Parking Lot Safety video
Pick Up & Drop Off Procedures
As you may know, the parking lot is a busy location during pick up and drop off. For the safety of our students and families we ask that you follow the guidelines below:
- The space along the sidewalk has become a pick up & drop off zone only and parking is NOT allowed. Please use this area to either drop off or pick up your students before or after school. Be sure to pull up to the front of the pick up/drop off zone if and when it is not busy. This allows for more cars to drop off/pick up at the same time. Our hope is these no parking zones will be used as places to pull through & drop students while allowing folks to pass safely on the left. Keeping the zoned area clear will also allow for the assistance of any emergency vehicles if needed.
- The driveway has been repainted to help keep the traffic flow moving and to help direct parents when dropping off in the morning or picking up in the afternoon. When dropping off or picking up, please follow the yellow arrows to help keep traffic flowing and for the safety of students & families.
- When dropping off your child, please pull all the way up to the front off the drop off zone when possible. This allows for multiple vehicles to pull up and drop off their child at the same time and keeps the traffic moving.
- During drop off, students should exit the vehicle from the curbside only. Parents, please do not get out of your vehicle as this slows down the flow of traffic.
- If you are picking up your child after school and arrive prior to dismissal, please park in an available parking space. You are welcome to meet your child on the sidewalk when he/she is dismissed.
- For the exception of the grass area near the parking lot entrance, please DO NOT park outside the identified parking spaces. This creates congestion and can block the view of the rest of the parking lot.
- If you need to enter the building, leave your vehicle, or need to wait for any duration of time we ask that you park in a parking space to help keep the traffic flow moving.
Thanks for your patience and please let us know if we can improve the procedure.
Remind for Alamo Parents
Join Alamo Parents REMIND
Would you like to receive text updates on important dates and activities taking place here at Alamo Elementary? REMIND is a safe and efficient communication app designed for teachers/schools to communicate important classroom/school information. If you are interested in receiving updates from Alamo Elementary via text, text this message @aebulldogs to the number 81010.