Weather and School Closure Alerts
I was asked today about how to keep track of school closures and delays, which is something--as both a Claxton mom and employee--that I am concerned about tracking as well. Thanks to Ms. Then, who signed me up for text alerts from WLOS News, I now feel as if I'm aware of these conditions/decisions as soon as they happen. If you, too, would like these alerts, here is the website:
<http://www.wlos.com/station/features/text-alerts/#.VqpDG_krLcs>. To sign up, scroll down to Text Alerts (a blue box), fill in your cell phone number, then scroll down to click on School Closings at Public Schools, and select Asheville City Schools (on the right side of the list of schools). You should then get text messages right away about school closures and delays. May this be as helpful to you, as it was to me!
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Monday, February 8: After-School Arts classes begin
- Thursday, February 11 from 3:30-4:30: February Dance for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders (See below for volunteer opportunities.)
- Friday, February 12: By Friday, the third $100 payment (total of $300) for the Washington, D.C. Trip is due for each student and chaperone. Here is the link to pay online (Please remember to click on the 5th-grade Washington, D.C. Trip!): <http://osp.osmsinc.com/AshevilleNC/BVModules/CategoryTemplates/Detailed%20List%20with%20Properties/Category.aspx?categoryid=BP008>
- Monday, February 15 from 8:15-12:45: Muddy Sneakers Field Trip Please note: We will need volunteers/chaperones for this trip, which entails hiking around Weaver Park at an easy pace with a naturalist and a small group of students.
- Friday, February 19: Although this had been scheduled as an early-release day, it may be converted to a full school day in order to make up for a snow day. Stay tuned for more information!
- Monday, February 22: No school--Teacher Work Day (unless we need to make up more snow days)
- A message from Mr. Edwards about the last ten days of school: "All of Asheville City Schools will conduct EOG testing in the last 10 academic days of school. Currently, that means beginning on the 24th of May and concluding on the last day of school, June 7th. This certainly is contingent on snow days, so fully expect for these days to shift later into June. We want to be proactive in letting everyone know now, so that there are no surprises at the end of the year."
We are in desperate need of both pencils and glue sticks!
The Zunguzes Learn to Live in the Snow
When you tell a California kid to dress for the snow . . .
Ms. Zunguze's son, Betinho, born and raised (up until now) in the San Francisco Bay
You don't have to tell Dr. Zunguze to bundle up in the snow!
Ms. Zunguze's husband, Jeremias, born and raised in Mozambique
Ms. Zunguze's First Snow Angel
Probably Betinho's 100th snow angel that day!