Coronado Middle School March 22-26, 2021
This week's mindset quote: “It is only by saying NO that you can focus on the things that are really important.” --Steve Jobs
March Key: This Is It!
Make the most of every moment. Focus your attention on the present moment. Keep a positive attitude.
Mar 22-26 9th grade Registration appointments for 2021-2022 9th grade (via Zoom)
Mar 22 Applications for application electives due at 8:00 am
Mar 22 T3 at 8:05am
All class periods on Zoom today
Mar 24 CSF Telethon 5:00-9:00 pm CMS Hour 7:00-8:00 pm Click here to view https://www.csfkids.org/news-events/telethon.html
Mar 26 Second Vaccine for staff - Support time cancelled today
Antigen Testing at CMS 12:30 -3:00 pm
March 29 April 5: Spring Recess
Thank you, PTO, for the green bagels last Wednesday! We appreciate all that you do for us!!
Application Electives for 2021-2022 due tomorrow at 8:00am: The following electives require an application: ASB (Associated Student Body), APA (Advanced Performing Arts), KCMS Broadcasting, Advanced Art, and Yearbook.
- Questions should be directed to CMS Counselor, Brian Garcia, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-Application Elective Choices for 2021-2022: Students will select their elective choices in May. These electives are: Beginning Band, Advanced Band, Choir, Art/Digital Media, Spanish 1A, Spanish 1B, Coding/STEM, Teacher's Aide (TA)
Student Protocols: Maintaining physical distance during break time is extremely important. We appreciate your assistance with reminding our Tritons about following on campus protocols.
Summer School: Math and ELA classes will be offered four weeks (6/21- 7/16). Although classes will not be mandated, we will be contacting parent/guardian of students that are strongly encouraged to attend.
Statewide Testing - CAASPP Smarter Balanced Assessment: Testing will take place this spring. More details to follow in the coming weeks. Please click on the link for more information. CAASPP Parent Notification Letter March 2021.pdf
CMS Testing will begin the first week of May.
7th Grade BRIDGE STUDENTS:
Item pick up Tuesday-Friday 3/23 - 3/26 8 am - 3 pm
· Science lab kit for 7th grade
**Face coverings and physical distancing are required during pick-up.
Please contact Akisha Chaney with any questions email@example.com
Superintendent Mueller's Message March 17, 2021, CUSD Update.
Antigen Testing at CMS 12:30 -3:00 pm
- Schedule your appointment at: https://www.primarybio.com/r/coronado
- Attendance: If your child is sick or unable to participate in school on any given day, please contact our attendance clerk, Mrs. Karnas at 619-522-8921 ext. 3096 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You're strongly encouraged to check your child's PowerSchool, regularly, for grade updates, announcements, and emails.
- CUSD Covid-19 Dashboard
6th and 7th Grade Families - March 22nd T3 Event
Since our 7th graders didn't have the opportunity to experience this important program last year, we're extending the invitation to all 7th grade T3 classes to view the presentation.
Digital Drug Store Presentation for Sixth Graders: While the in-person Drug Store event is not possible this year, Coronado SAFE has worked with CMS to offer a virtual presentation on Monday, March 22 during T3. The goal of this presentation is to offer students important information about healthy decision making and the consequences (developmental, medical and legal among others) of drug and alcohol use. The T3 presentation in school will be followed by an evening zoom Coffee Talk event (“Talking to Your Kids About Drugs”) hosted by SAFE.
Please click here for all details about the Drug Store Presentation https://www.smore.com/kgpt8
Sign up for the monthly SAFE Parenting Tool Box at coronadosafe.org and take advantage of this great resource.
8th Grade Families
- Registration appointments continue this week. Please check your email for appointment time and Zoom link. If you did not receive an appointment or need to reschedule, please contact CHS Counselor, Misty Kint, at email@example.com
- Students are expected to return to their class after their 15 minute appointment.
- Students who have not turned in their planning form should mail it to: CHSinfo@coronadousd.net. Planning form can be found here: Link to 9th Grade Course Offerings
All information about CHS scheduling can be found at this link: https://chs.coronadousd.net/academics/counseling/CHS Principal Schmeichel's Newsletter: https://www.smore.com/7erdk
Seal of Biliteracy: At CUSD we celebrate bilingualism and seek to increase the number of students applying and earning the Seal of Biliteracy each year. The District English Language Advisory Committee (DELAC) would like to invite you and your student to a workshop to talk about the Seal of Biliteracy and the new high school schedule.
March 25, 2021 – 5:30-6:30 PM
Seal of Biliteracy & High School Schedule Introduction
*Learn all about how your child can earn the seal of biliteracy and learn a bit more about the new 4 by 4 schedule starting this fall!
Workshop Zoom Details
- Zoom ID: 285 103 4044
- Passcode: learn
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
English Language Arts & Development TOSA
CoSA: Applications are still being accepted at https://cosasandiego.com/
This week's T3 lesson:
Thank you to all of the students who submitted their NPfH posters!
CUSD is committed to creating safe, inclusive and respectful environments free from discrimination and harassment that promote the safety and affirmation of all students.
CUSD recognizes the link between students’ social and cognitive development, and research has shown that a sense of belonging is core to academic success. CUSD views addressing students' need for belonging and value is central to successful teaching and learning.
CMS strives to foster social emotional learning, mindful self awareness and overall character in tandem with academic skills to support student’s ability to access learning. Within the context of the 8 Keys of Excellence and district wide character education events including Red Ribbon Week and the Great Kindness Challenge, the CMS T3 lessons provide opportunities for dialogue and connection. Within T3, students may encounter sensitive topics, and each T3 class has agreed upon ground rules for respectful discussions. T3 supports a culture of respect through encouraging student voice while celebrating each individual's identity.
We are looking to fill our PTO Board positions for 2021-2022. All positions are available!
- Vice President
Being part of the CMS PTO Board is a terrific way to stay in touch with what is happening at CMS and help support the CMS students, teachers, staff and administration!
Please email me at Frogfree078@gmail.com if you have questions or are interested in supporting the students, staff and families of CMS.
Our last meeting will be held on April 7th at 6:30 pm. That night, we'll vote on the new board.
Haven't joined PTO yet? Click on the link. https://www.konstella.com/cd/W2XGRV
CMS PTO President
Messages from ASB and President Shoemaker
Hello Triton Families!
Thank you to everyone who participated in SPIRIT WEEK! Be sure to check out some highlights on our CMS Tritons Powerschool Page!
Buy your CMS Merch! Store Link!
- CMS Trident Zip Up Hoodie $25 in Sizes S-XL
- CMS Trident Crewneck Sweater $25 in Sizes S-XL
Link to: CMS TRITONS PAGE
CMS Military Family Life Counselor Supports
No Military Lunch Bunch this week. Lunch bunch to resume on April 6th at 1:00-1:30
Zoom Military Student Lunch Bunch : Tuesday’s 1:00-1:30pm.
- A great place to connect with other military students
- Zoom Link: Zoom Lunch Bunch (New Link)
April is the Month of the Military Child. Events information to come.
Lisa F. Poli
MFLC- Military & Family Life Counselor for Coronado Middle School
Cell Phone: (619) 592-0821
CMS LIBRARY BOOK CHECKOUTS!!!
Browse, check out, and hold books through Classlink! Click the Follett icon for access to the CMS library catalog. Once a book is put on hold, Mrs. Pettit will bag your books for pick up. Book pickups and returns are on Wednesdays, 8 am-3 pm at the F. Street entrance.
PLEASE NOTE: Books that are catalogued as YA (Young Adult), will require a guardian signed permission slip. All incoming 6th graders and new students will need this form completed at the time of pick up. Returning CMS students who already had one of these filled out last year, do not need another. Permission forms can be printed or emailed to Mrs. Pettit.
If you have any questions concerning the YA form, or how to access books through our Follett system, please email Mrs. Pettit at: email@example.com
CMS Library Technician
Military Families Resources
PARENT EDUCATION VIRTUAL WORKSHOPS
Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) Parent Programs is offering a new series of Parent Education Virtual Workshops for military-connected parents and professionals who work in support of military-connected children.
- Test Taking Strategies for Elementary School Students: March 23, 9 am
- Test Taking Strategies for Middle & High School Students: March 24, 9 am
- Register: https://www.militarychild.org/webinars
- Benefits of Using Sign Language with Young Children: March 30, 9 am
- Helping Your Child Learn Through Play: March 31, 9 am
Not available to attend the live webinar? Register at the links above to receive the recording.
LEADERSHIP SPOUSE SYMPOSIUM
Thursday, March 25, 9 am-3 pm (or as you are available)
This unique Fleet & Family Support Center Metro San Diego event is open to all prospective, current, and former XO, CO, CMC and COB spouses. It is a time to meet, network, share support, and collaborate! Topics include "How to Foster Volunteerism in your Group" and "Understanding and Identifying Bias." Also, there will be a panel discussion with key leadership spouses from various Naval communities, a perfect opportunity to tackle those questions you have wondered about and may never had the ability to ask. Pre-submitted questions will be answered by experienced and knowledgeable spouses. This is a virtual event.
Register via email: Christina.firstname.lastname@example.org
ASYMCA ART & ESSAY CONTEST
2021 Theme: “How has COVID-19 impacted me and my military family?”
Submission Deadline: March 31, 2021
The annual Armed Services YMCA Art & Essay Contest gives military children a voice. It also serves as reminder of the sacrifices military children, service members and their families make for our country. Winners will be announced at the end of April in honor of the Month of the Military Child. For full details, visit: https://www.asymca.org/contest
THE NAVY’S 34TH BAY BRIDGE RUN/WALK – VIRTUALLY!
This year, the Navy will BRIDGE the distance between us, and participate virtually! Participate from anywhere in the US in any way you want! You'll receive your commemorative 34th Annual event medal, high-quality poly blend T-shirt, and race number in May. Once received, record your "results" through our website, print your custom finisher certificate, wear your swag with pride, and tag us on social media.
School Liaison Officer
Naval Base Coronado
Triton Shout Outs
HYBRID STUDENTS: ON Campus Days:
- Gates open at 7:55 am. Class begins promptly at 8:05 am.
- Students that arrive late to class will be marked tardy.
- Students are REQUIRED to bring a charged device (personal computer or school issued Chromebook) every day they are on campus. Loaners will not be available.
- Students are required to follow all safety protocols such as appropriately wearing a face covering and maintaining physical distance.
- Please make sure your child is prepared for school every day! Students must come to campus with their device, assignments, supplies, and water/snack, daily. We are not able to deliver items to students at this time.
- Hybrid students are expected to be on campus on their assigned days. They are only permitted to Zoom in if they have been called in sick or have communicated circumstances.
- Rainy days: Please send your student to school with a warm jackets and umbrella on rainy days.
HYBRID STUDENTS: OFF Campus Days
- Starting March 1st: Students that do not remain on Zoom for the entire period will be marked absent (unless prior communication). Students are expected to be on time to class. If students are more than a couple of minutes late, they will be marked tardy (unless prior communication)
- As noted in Superintendent Mueller's update, students who have been designated by the parent/guardian survey as an on-campus student are required to be on campus during their scheduled day/time. We are finding that some of our learners are 'opting' to zoom from home when we anticipate them physically in class. Our goal is to maximize enrollment and capacity. As such, our schedules were purposefully designed for a balance of those on campus and off. On campus students who do not attend class in person on their designed days will be marked absent.
- Students that do not remain on Zoom for the entire period will be marked absent (unless prior communication). Students are expected to be on time to class. If students are more than a couple of minutes late, they will be marked tardy (unless prior communication)
Mark your calendar for upcoming dates:
April: 8 Keys: Flexibility
April is the Month of the Military Child (MoMC)
Apr 5-9 National Assistant Principal’s Week
Apr 6 First Day Back from Recess
Military Kids Club with virtual games from 1:00-1:30 PM
Interviews/Audition time slots announced for Application Elective Classes
Apr 7 National Paraprofessional Day
PTO Meeting 6:30 pm -7:30 pm See website for Zoom
Apr 8-Apr 21 Application Elective Classes Interviews & Auditions
Military Kids Club with virtual games from 1:00-1:30 PM
April 14 MoMC Spirit Day -"Wear Red, White, and Blue Day"
Apr 15 MoMC Spirit Day - "Purple Up! Wear Purple For Military Kids"
CUSD Board Meeting 4:00 pm @ DO (Zoom)
Apr 16 End of Quarter 3 Grading Period
Apr 19 Begin Quarter 4 Grading Period
Apr 20 Military Kids Club with virtual games from 1:00-1:30 PM
Apr 21 National School Librarian’s Day
Apr 27 Military Kids Club with virtual games from 1:00-1:30 PM
5th Grade Parent Orientation 6:00-7:30 (virtual)
Apr 30 Application Elective selections sent to students